United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-04-2007, 08:48 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skag Trendy
Id say you cant control a game much more than Gerrard did against Milan in the euro final a few years back.

Take the red tinted specs off,Gerrard is world class and would walk intio our team.
Perfect example of what Tiberian is saying, though.

Gerrard didn't dominate the game in Istanbul at all. Milan were by far the superior side for around 110 minutes of the 120 of that final. What Gerrard did do, to be fair to him, was come to the fore at the right moment and get a goal for his side. He then won a penalty (with a bit of a dive, mind). He came up with a crucial contribution when his side needed him.

He does that from time to time, but it is completely different to controlling a game. If he had controlled the game, Liverpool would not have been 3-0 down at half time, nor would they have been hanging on for dear life at times when it was 3-3.

Unread 26-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Gizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Perfect example of what Tiberian is saying, though.

Gerrard didn't dominate the game in Istanbul at all. Milan were by far the superior side for around 110 minutes of the 120 of that final. What Gerrard did do, to be fair to him, was come to the fore at the right moment and get a goal for his side. He then won a penalty (with a bit of a dive, mind). He came up with a crucial contribution when his side needed him.

He does that from time to time, but it is completely different to controlling a game. If he had controlled the game, Liverpool would not have been 3-0 down at half time, nor would they have been hanging on for dear life at times when it was 3-3.
And, although i avoided the game like the plague, i believe Gerrard only really came into the game because Hamman had come on half time to do a Makelele style job of doing all of his dirty work?

I think Gerrard is a good player, don't get me wrong, but not as good as everyone in the scouse loving media makes out and don't get me started on F£#%&!.

Unread 26-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Part 36 Offer

Makele's influence at Chelseas is on the decline.

I doubt he will be there next year.

Unread 26-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skag Trendy
Id say you cant control a game much more than Gerrard did against Milan in the euro final a few years back.

Take the red tinted specs off,Gerrard is world class and would walk intio our team.
I have no doubt that Gerrard is a world class footballer, but he is not a world class central midfielder. He lacks the discipline, he can do brilliant things when you take away some of the responsibility to defend, surging runs, powerful shot, good crosser of a ball. That is why they play him wide, to give him the freedom to do what he is best at, play in spurts of occasional brilliance.

If you compare him to Keane he has more talent, but he can not control a game tot he same extent. He lacks patience in his passing, always going for the glory pass, cheaply giving the ball away, that is one of the reasons why Beckham never worked in the center either, obsessed with the long pass.
Closed Thread