United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Is Beckham a United Legend?
Yes 21 42.86%
No 28 57.14%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 12-01-2007, 05:52 PM
naes_sean

some legends in my signature*

*[SIZE="1"]except ruud of couse

Unread 12-01-2007, 05:53 PM
poppy

I think with all the celebrity thing, people tend to forget just how good a player Beckham was.

When you look at the four great players to come out of that youth team (Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, Neville) I'd have guessed at the time that Scholes' and Beckham's careers would have perhaps lasted longer than the other two. Their games are not reliant on pace. With Giggs I thought once his pace started to go he'd be finished at the top level and with fulback it's a tough position physically to play for a decade and a half into your thirties.

It's not quite turned out like that though:

Neville 2007
Captain of United. England regular. Best right back in the Premiership.

Giggs 2007
Regular at United. Captain of his country. Best left-sided midfielder seen in England since John Barnes. About to receive a special award from the Football Writers for outstanding achievement in the game.

Scholes 2007
Regular at United. England manager practically begging him to return to the national team. United's best player and arguably the best player in the Premiership.

Beckham 2007
Dropped by his club. Dropped by his country. About to move to a joke league in a joke country. Now more famous for his clothes, sunglasses, famous friends and silly wife than his football.

I know he'll never admit it, but Ted Beckham must rue the day he ever set eyes on that stick insect.

Unread 12-01-2007, 05:57 PM
naes_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
I know he'll never admit it, but Ted Beckham must rue the day he ever set eyes on that stick insect.
can't argue with that.

Unread 12-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Part 36 Offer

Maybe Ted preferred Rebecca Loos.

Unread 12-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Tumescent Throb

Default Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - Legend

Man of the People

202 starts; 94 goals
129 sub apps; 29 goals

league:
137 starts; 74 goals
68 sub apps; 16 goals

champions league:
35 starts; 12 goals
44 sub apps; 8 goals

fa cup:
12 starts; 3 goals
14 sub apps; 3 goals

league cup:
8 starts; 5 goals
3 sub apps; 2 goals

Unread 12-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
The Ole Supersub tag is a bit of a myth actually, even if he has always been a brilliant sub. Not sure these days, but his ratio of goals per game used to be virtually the same as a starter as when he came on as a sub.

I'm off to check
It's his minutes per goal ratio that would be important in working out if he was more effective as a sub, not goals per game. Don't know if there's anywhere that would have the relevant statistics though.

Unread 12-01-2007, 06:26 PM
magic_cantona

Beckham was a great player for us.Great and important goals, great work rate, great passing and a great United attitude.

In his last 2 seasons though, he did £#%&! all.

He is a 'sort of legend' in my eyes.So I'll say yes.

Unread 12-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
It's his minutes per goal ratio that would be important in working out if he was more effective as a sub, not goals per game. Don't know if there's anywhere that would have the relevant statistics though.
ffs do you know how long that just took me

meant to factor in how many games he scored in in each category but only remembered halfway through. as for the minutes thing, I'll leave that to someone who's getting paid for it, ta!

Unread 12-01-2007, 06:39 PM
chrispycod

I could only find same info that Throb found on Ole nowhere seems to show the breakdown into each category and mins per goal ratio yer having a laff but did find this pic which was nice

Unread 12-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Tensai

He's a legend... saying all the right things... love his latest quote in the american papers...

Unread 13-01-2007, 05:29 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
I don't think you'll find that info but you can do a best guess based on him playing for 75 mins when starting and playing for 15 mins as a sub;

I did this calculation and here's how it works out;

Goals per minute ratio when Starting-

1 goal every 161 minutes

Goals per minute ratio when Coming on as a sub-

1 goal every 66 minutes

Kind of interesting, the ratio of goals as a sub is phenomenal. Anyhow were all in agreement now that he's a legend so lets leave it at that

Unread 13-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Papadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
Robbo is quite rightly considered a great for his ability and leadership.

But it shouldn't be forgotten that he wanted to leave the club for more money.
Who Robbo

Unread 13-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
who the £#%&! is Peter Schmichael......#@&%!
[YOUTUBE]xyKCxLQOo5w[/YOUTUBE]
Closed Thread