United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-04-2017, 08:33 PM
Whip Hubley

Football Legends who would have been heroes at United. Episode 1: Pavel Nedved

"A regret?" Nedved told Czech newspaper Idnes. "That I never played for Manchester United. I'd have liked that."

"I liked the generation of Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs, whom I admired. I was a little bit jealous of Karel Poborsky, who played in Manchester and experienced great matches. I know he still feels that love."

Most people remember Pavel bursting on to the scene during Euro '96, as the playmaker that led the Czech Republic to the final (alongside a certain Karel Poborsky). More or less off the back of the Euro's, he signed for Lazio for a paltry fee (who knows what our scouts were watching that tournament) where he scored 33 in 138 games, won the last ever cup winners cup ( ), scored and won the supercup against us, reached the final of the UEFA cup and won a couple of Supercoppa Italias (one as part of a Serie A double)

Both Nedved and Veron were effectively put up for sale by Cragnotti in 2001, and with the benefit of hindsight we perhaps signed the wrong Lazio superstar. Nedved went on to win 2 consecutive Serie A titles, a European Cup (the borefest final at OT in 2003 he sat out due to suspension due to a semi final foul on Macchhhhhmanaman, the @#%&!) and that year was named World Footballer of the Year by World Soccer magazine and European Footballer of the Year.

Loyalty was never an issue as he stuck around following the match fixing scandal to get Juve back into Serie A.

Although he retired in 2008 after finishing as left winger, he played right across attacking midfield throughout his career and I have absolutely no doubts he would have been superb for us as a replacement for Beckham. Guile, intelligence, technique, poise.... a near perfect player to unlock any defence and, potentially, could have been unbelievable played behind Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Pavel claims there was never an offer on the table, contradicting this Grauniad article from 2003 and a Raiola ( ) quote from 2000:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...td/1052638.stm

https://www.theguardian.com/football...wsstory.sport2

But Nedved's agent, Mino Raiola, told the newspaper: "I believe United have reached an agreement with Lazio and, all being well, Pavel will be joining them at the end of the season.

"The decision rested with the player because Lazio were always aware that Pavel would probably look for a new challenge at the end of the season."

The 28-year-old midfielder caught Sir Alex Ferguson's eye during Euro 2000 and has been an Old Trafford target ever since.

"He has been inundated with offers, but if he does leave Lazio he has set his heart on joining United because they made it clear they wanted to sign him," Raiola added.

Nedved admits he is tempted by a move to Old Trafford.

"I have been quite settled in Rome and enjoy my football, but the challenge of playing for a club like United is too great to turn down," he said.

I am quite certain that unlike Seba (a player who I adored for the record) Nedved would have gone on to be a star player for us either from 2001 or 20003 onwards - Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Nedved anyone? Another European cup if we'd had the foresight to buy VDS as well....

One of the best of that period imo.

Unread 09-04-2017, 08:43 PM
20 times

That goal against Holland in Euro 2004 (I think it was 2004)

Unread 09-04-2017, 08:44 PM
S/Side.Red

Yeah he was good.

Unread 09-04-2017, 08:49 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 times
That goal against Holland in Euro 2004 (I think it was 2004)
Sure it was 04? A quick google check and he wasn't on the score sheet for the 3-2 - think he nearly scored an absolute worldy iirc

Unread 09-04-2017, 08:54 PM
itisme_panaflex

They churned out a few good players back then. Doesn't seem to be any decent players coming out of Czech in a while.

Unread 09-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisme_panaflex
They churned out a few good players back then. Doesn't seem to be any decent players coming out of Czech in a while.

I wanted us to sign Rosickż

Čech was one of the worlds best imo until blueberry gate. But yeah, £#%&! all in terms of outfield players currently

Unread 09-04-2017, 09:21 PM
S/Side.Red

Patrik Schick. Remember the name

Does say a lot that Rosicky is still their captain mind.

Unread 09-04-2017, 09:31 PM
Red Santos

Yeah back in 2001 prefered him over Veron. Was convinced he would be a better signing, oh well. My first choice was obviously Zidane though followed by Rivaldo..

Unread 09-04-2017, 09:34 PM
jem

2. ibrahimovic.

Unread 09-04-2017, 09:37 PM
BarryX

Always wished we'd signed Nedved - NedvedTheRed would have been username on here if we had done - what a top, top player

Seedorf was another. Natural born winner.

Unread 09-04-2017, 09:43 PM
andyroo

Loved big Pavvers.

Czechs were so mince at the last euros. Though I was vaguely amused that their best player was called Crikey.

Unread 09-04-2017, 10:15 PM
Arnold Muhren

How we signed Poborsky (on the back of one wonder goal seemingly) instead of Big Pavvers is mind boggling. A great player. I take it Batistuta will be making an appearance in this series? Still annoyed at that one

Unread 09-04-2017, 10:35 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Muhren
How we signed Poborsky (on the back of one wonder goal seemingly) instead of Big Pavvers is mind boggling. A great player. I take it Batistuta will be making an appearance in this series? Still annoyed at that one
Was going to make Batigol numero uno but seemed almost too obvious. Soon enough....

Poborsky did score a great lob tbf.....

Unread 09-04-2017, 10:36 PM
TheFatGoth

Looking forward to Episode 2: Pele

Unread 09-04-2017, 10:40 PM
Whip Hubley

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Looking forward to Episode 2: Pele
Wouldn't have got in the side ahead of Best or Law.

Go back to your threads discussing spurs player of the season you cretinous lump.

Unread 09-04-2017, 11:18 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Poborsky looked at least as promising at that time, tbf.

But yeah, Nedved - truly one who got away. And if only he hadn't got injured before the Euro 2004 semi

(my hatred for that Greek team remains as pure as it is for a certain former United manager )

Unread 09-04-2017, 11:40 PM
Stickman

Nedved was absolutely amazing against Holland in a group game at Euro 2000.

They lost 1-0 but he was absolutely dominant.

Unread 10-04-2017, 12:13 AM
Venceremos

What would we have done with Nedved?

Around 2001 or whenever you said it was we suffered because Fergie let the standard of the back 5 fall off a cliff.

Unread 10-04-2017, 07:31 AM
AK14

Quote:
One of if not my all time favourite non United player

Remember phoning one of those teletext football hotlines when I was a kid every day during the school holiday and it would say that we were close to signing him....

Then it all went a bit sour between me and him after the beckham sending off..... nodding and clapping like he did. Felt like dagger through my heart, I knew at that point there was no chance

Unread 10-04-2017, 08:18 AM
Zorg

He was great in Point Break etc.
Closed Thread