United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-04-2016, 07:19 PM
Knockers

Who was the bigger legend? Hughes for being an absolute animal for United, scoring the sexiest goals of the decade and kicking £#%&! out of people for stepping to us, or Fletcher and O'Shea because they once wore baseball caps to Liverpool away?

One of our best ever players. NOTHING was better when you were at school than Hughes scoring a volley and trying to do it in the playground. He even saved the 5-1. Who remembers Brightwell's goal the traffic warden.

Don't care what happened after. Adored him.

Blue Peter Schmeichel can £#%&! off though.

Unread 09-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Zorg

He did spend several years with that leg iron McClair next to him tbf.

Unread 09-04-2016, 07:35 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Underrated, choccy. One of Fergie's key early buys imo.

Unread 09-04-2016, 07:36 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Who was the bigger legend? Hughes for being an absolute animal for United, scoring the sexiest goals of the decade and kicking £#%&! out of people for stepping to us, or Fletcher and O'Shea because they once wore baseball caps to Liverpool away?

One of our best ever players. NOTHING was better when you were at school than Hughes scoring a volley and trying to do it in the playground. He even saved the 5-1. Who remembers Brightwell's goal the traffic warden.

Not really, unless you also think Fletcher "saved" the 6-1 by scoring a great goal then

Unread 09-04-2016, 07:43 PM
My Name is Keith

Can't believe anyone watching us in the 80's and early 90's would consider him anything other than an legend. Scored hugely important goals and was a beast on the pitch. One of those players that set the tempo and aggression factor for the team - like Keane.

The stuff afterwards is unfortunate but whilst he was at United he was immense.

Unread 09-04-2016, 07:45 PM
oohahhpaulmcgrath

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers

This... don't think any of these #@&%!s slagging him off ever saw him play,never buzzed as much of a signing as when we got him back

Unread 09-04-2016, 07:47 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Can't believe anyone watching us in the 80's and early 90's would consider him anything other than an legend. Scored hugely important goals and was a beast on the pitch. One of those players that set the tempo and aggression factor for the team - like Keane.

One thing I remember well, strangely, was his sending off against Sheffield United (?) - piss funny

Unread 09-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by oohahhpaulmcgrath
This... don't think any of these #@&%!s slagging him off ever saw him play,never buzzed as much of a signing as when we got him back
It's precisely because of the number of times I saw him play and sang his name that I find it disappointing he's never shown any affection for United.

But disappointing is as far as it goes, I don't sob over pictures of him.
Much.

Unread 09-04-2016, 07:59 PM
Marvel7

Idolised him as a kid, the player I wanted to be, the goals I tried, and failed, to replicate.

Can't understand the hate because of the Chelsea thing. I love United, proper love, but if city, Leeds, or Liverpool offered me 250k a year let alone a week I'd wear that shirt and not feel one bit bad about. I'd still be a united fan and once my career was over and I was no longer involved in the games I'd cheer united on against all the rest as though I had no allegiance whatsoever

Unread 09-04-2016, 08:11 PM
morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
One thing I remember well, strangely, was his sending off against Sheffield United (?) - piss funny
Me too, think it was on Chris Kamara, just booted him with no attempt at all to disguise it

Unread 09-04-2016, 08:16 PM
Zorg

No it was David Tuttle, 10:00 on here

Unread 09-04-2016, 09:35 PM
utd99

Quote:

"Legend" is a bold call mate. Personally, I would count 9, possibly 10 in our whole postwar history.

Unread 09-04-2016, 09:47 PM
ziggyman17

great player, that like other ex Utd players loves the team. but according to fergie, every ex player is an enemy of the team and only fergie is a true red.. For what its worth, Hughes was £#%&!ing great for us, one of my favourite ever players,

Unread 09-04-2016, 09:50 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
"Legend" is a bold call mate. Personally, I would count 9, possibly 10 in our whole postwar history.
Agreed - a legend to the people who watched him was the point I was making. Whether he features in the United pantheon or not is doubtful. I'd love a top form sparky to be playing for us atm.

Unread 09-04-2016, 10:51 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
No it was David Tuttle, 10:00 on here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyj8yonT1Fs
That green and gold kit

Unread 10-04-2016, 01:28 AM
utd99

Quote:
Agreed - a legend to the people who watched him was the point I was making. Whether he features in the United pantheon or not is doubtful. I'd love a top form sparky to be playing for us atm.
What we wouldn't give for a fraction of the character in that changing room early 90's.

Unread 10-04-2016, 08:41 AM
Red Al

Quote:

If your 40+ then this all day

Loved sparky in the 80,s top player but as has been posted he seems a bit of a miserable @#%&! these days

Quote:
Tbf mcclair never got the credit he deserved

100% every game
Made good runs off the ball making room for sparky,Robbo etc.
Good eye for goal

And that was all in an average side

Him and sparky are the type of player we could do with today

Unread 10-04-2016, 08:53 AM
Denis Irwell

Kamara had been kicking him all afternoon though. - a bit like Rick Shaw at Palace kicking Eric all night and as soon as Eric retaliates the ref suddenly becomes a disciplinarian

Unread 10-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Dr Gonzo

Quote:
Good God yes !

Gutted when he left.

That 93/94 side is my favourite line up : leaders and characters all over the pitch.

Unread 10-04-2016, 01:01 PM
King Eric

Love him TBH, I think he's done the best out of all our ex players who've tried management, but it's tough out there to win anything if you aren't a top five, or six club.
Closed Thread