United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-04-2016, 06:30 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Me too

I wonder who todays kids idolise out of our current lot? (genuine question. Not slagging them off again)
I'd imagine Wazza is still very popular (& rightly so)

..Martial? De Gea? fine players but they don't have that 'hero worship' quality for me.
My kids love de gea and martial. Still a bit of love for Rooney and Rashford is very popular. The rest? £#%&! knows

Edit: they obviously see Fellaini as the joke that he is which makes it all the more bemusing seeing grown men wearing those £#%&!ing wigs

Unread 09-04-2016, 08:33 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe le Pew
He was a Chelsea fan as a kid; understandable.
Not to me. He was at United from a young age, it's not like he was in the Shed end cheering on Chelsea. I dunno, I've always found a bit sad that he's never really seemed to hold much affection for United despite playing for the youth team, the countless glorious moments and the fans singing his name for something like ten seasons. Wonder if he never forgave Frogs for getting rid of him or something.

Unread 09-04-2016, 08:43 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Not to me. He was at United from a young age, it's not like he was in the Shed end cheering on Chelsea. I dunno, I've always found a bit sad that he's never really seemed to hold much affection for United despite playing for the youth team, the countless glorious moments and the fans singing his name for something like ten seasons. Wonder if he never forgave Frogs for getting rid of him or something.
Always remember reading as a kid that he was a dour character who didn't send Christmas cards to his teammates. Up to then I'd always imagined the United team all to be best mates.

But, you know, he's Welsh isn't he? Miserable @#%&!s to a man. Except max Boyce

Unread 09-04-2016, 08:51 AM
forzagarza

les was actually the first not to send Xmas cards, instead opting to make a donation to charity

Unread 09-04-2016, 09:51 AM
Marlon Van Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Calling Chelsea 'us' in Moscow. Very disappointing.
I walked past him outside of the ground after Moscow 08 and was obviously gutted CFC had lost. Had a face on him like he had just found out his family had just been murdered. Didn't help he was being ripped by United supporters who had clocked on to his CFC allgencies.

Unread 09-04-2016, 01:25 PM
guerreiro

My favourite player as a kid and so utterly disappointing as to what he turned out to be. I remember when we knew he was going and got injured against Newcastle, I really hoped it was a career ending injury as I didn't want to see him playing for anyone else (he was lined up to move to Everton before that injury I think).

Still can't get my head around him supporting Chelsea in the EC final. What a @#%&!.

Unread 09-04-2016, 01:29 PM
Ashley's Grime

I'm sure he said in his piss poor book that like a lot of kids in North Wales he was an Everton fan.

Unread 09-04-2016, 01:50 PM
utd99

Plenty of ex players retain a bond to the club long after their playing days are over -Evra, Eric, Robbo etc-, others don't. Hughes falls squarely into the latter category; in fact I'd be surprised if he has an allegiance to anyone in football outside of himself. He was an employee who was decent at his job, nothing more.

As a manager he is a one eyed, miserable @#%&!. I could virtually write the script of his post match presser every week. 'Start with ref...'

In fact, I saw a statistic the other day that if you filter out official's mistakes/biases and opposition cheating, he has won every game he's ever managed. Underrated imo.

File alongside Dalglish and Strachan..

Unread 09-04-2016, 04:22 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe le Pew
He was a Chelsea fan as a kid; understandable.
The years he spent at United should have counted for something, tbf. Still supporting Chelski, OK - calling them "us", not so much.

Unread 09-04-2016, 04:37 PM
puressence

Adored him and Norman tbh then he become a bitter £#%&!er no more illustrated at city. He can £#%&! off

Unread 09-04-2016, 04:55 PM
Stickman

£#%&!er

Unread 09-04-2016, 05:01 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
my favourite united player. should have gone to live in a cottage by the sea, though.
He should - hopefully someone would've burned the £#%&!er down

Unread 09-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Me too

I wonder who todays kids idolise out of our current lot? (genuine question. Not slagging them off again)
I'd imagine Wazza is still very popular (& rightly so)

..Martial? De Gea? fine players but they don't have that 'hero worship' quality for me.
rightly so...? Not any more the fat, heavy footed, out of form, wage stealing bastard

Unread 09-04-2016, 05:10 PM
forzagarza

if anything it shows up school careers advice as they should have told him that if he wanted to be a footballer he could only ever play for Chelsea as fans can't deal with a player having their own mind.

Unread 09-04-2016, 05:51 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Plenty of ex players retain a bond to the club long after their playing days are over -Evra, Eric, Robbo etc-, others don't. Hughes falls squarely into the latter category
well yeh no shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
He was an employee who was decent at his job, nothing more.
he was brilliant at his job

Unread 09-04-2016, 05:52 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches

Often worked late as well. Used to see him at the ground after 10pm sometimes during the week

Unread 09-04-2016, 05:54 PM
Jez Quigley

Loved him as a kid, hated him as an ignoramus, respected him as a man.

Unread 09-04-2016, 06:04 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
Loved him as a kid
His performance in The Men Who Stare At Goats was fantastic.

Unread 09-04-2016, 06:26 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
rightly so...? Not any more the fat, heavy footed, out of form, wage stealing bastard

embarrassed for you tbh

Unread 09-04-2016, 07:07 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
He scored brilliant -and important- goals, but I don't think he was ever prolific enough to have been considered a 'brilliant' player. He was great with his back to the goal, strong and technically very good at linking, but he was only ever a 14/17 league goals a season striker. Not productive enough to be considered elite imo.
Closed Thread