United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-12-2017, 11:31 PM
Sparky***

when we're on top he's very good. Worked a lot harder today, should have earned a red card on Koscielny when he was cynically brought down, I don't care what any @#%&! says about "covering player" or whatever, he would have been through on goal, nobody was stopping him.

But, when we are struggling, he's utterly pointless. He couldn't trap a bag of sand most of the time and he really should be terrorising centre backs but they get far too much joy when he's playing with his back to goal. He needs to learn how to dominate defenders using his size properly.

Unread 02-12-2017, 11:43 PM
rockored2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
when we're on top he's very good. Worked a lot harder today, should have earned a red card on Koscielny when he was cynically brought down, I don't care what any @#%&! says about "covering player" or whatever, he would have been through on goal, nobody was stopping him.

But, when we are struggling, he's utterly pointless. He couldn't trap a bag of sand most of the time and he really should be terrorising centre backs but they get far too much joy when he's playing with his back to goal. He needs to learn how to dominate defenders using his size properly.
Thanks Martin Tyler.

Unread 03-12-2017, 12:54 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
when we're on top he's very good. Worked a lot harder today, should have earned a red card on Koscielny when he was cynically brought down, I don't care what any c*** says about "covering player" or whatever, he would have been through on goal, nobody was stopping him.

When we're struggling for form or for spells in particular games?

Unread 03-12-2017, 01:02 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
When we're struggling for form or for spells in particular games?
In spells of games. Large spells where we simply can't get up the pitch. I refer to large parts of the game today and away to Watford.

Arsenal and Watford are two teams with defenders that Lukaku should be looking to dominate and really run ragged. I'm not saying he has to have a worldie but at least do the basics of playing with your back to goal.

If he holds the ball up and nobody gets up to support him and he loses it, then fair enough, at least he's done his job. But far too often the ball goes forward and he's beaten to the ball by the centre half coming from behind him, or his touch is far too poor.

He reminds me a bit of Andy Cole when he first came. We're gonna have to make a footballer out of him.

Unread 03-12-2017, 09:33 AM
Vedder

He’ll have spells of being unplayable and a donkey this season. That’s just what he is. One thing I do love though is his celebrations after every united goal. He loves playing for us

Unread 03-12-2017, 09:41 AM
Red Santos

Spun off the centre-backs, link-up was ok, was more aggressive

All round good performance

Unread 03-12-2017, 10:42 AM
Mr_Ed

I think he’s too arrogant... two hand aloft staring at the crowd when he scores like some hero (i think I remember him scoring) he needs to be better with linking play and realise we aren’t a team that’ll suit his style of play and he needs to suit ours... and learn to hold onto the ball.

Unread 03-12-2017, 11:56 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
In spells of games. Large spells where we simply can't get up the pitch. I refer to large parts of the game today and away to Watford.

Arsenal and Watford are two teams with defenders that Lukaku should be looking to dominate and really run ragged. I'm not saying he has to have a worldie but at least do the basics of playing with your back to goal.

If he holds the ball up and nobody gets up to support him and he loses it, then fair enough, at least he's done his job. But far too often the ball goes forward and he's beaten to the ball by the centre half coming from behind him, or his touch is far too poor.

He reminds me a bit of Andy Cole when he first came. We're gonna have to make a footballer out of him.
Yeah. All fair points.

It's another feature of the post-Fergie era: an inability to retain control of a game for 90 minutes. Even under the possession of LVg, We'd suffer a spell where that went to shit and we'd lose the game in a short spell.

I think we're improving on it. A lot of it is dependent on how clinical we are. Our play depends on our forwards creating moments. This week, they have. From martial and Lukaku, right through to the shit@#%&!s in young, Valencia and lingard....... but you always felt the two goal leads, the three goals leads would be needed. There will be a spell where we get overrun, where we make errors and where we get pinned back.

As for Lukaku, the cole comparison is a good shout: great goals record, but a reputation for not having the best link up. I don't see anything that Cole had (when he arrived) that Lukaku doesn't now. He's 24. Same age as Cole when he came. He has the tools to be better and you see it in glimpses.

We are a team of fine margins and still under construction.

Unread 03-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Santos
Spun off the centre-backs, link-up was ok, was more aggressive

All round good performance
It was certainly better than he's been recently. Was it monreal he just took on 1-on-1 at some point, accelerated past him and got a half decent cross in... more of that.

I'll be undecided until, as sparkles says, we make a footballer out of him.... could go either way tbh.

Unread 03-12-2017, 01:37 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Yeah. All fair points.

It's another feature of the post-Fergie era: an inability to retain control of a game for 90 minutes. Even under the possession of LVg, We'd suffer a spell where that went to shit and we'd lose the game in a short spell.

I think we're improving on it. A lot of it is dependent on how clinical we are. Our play depends on our forwards creating moments. This week, they have. From martial and Lukaku, right through to the shitc***s in young, Valencia and lingard....... but you always felt the two goal leads, the three goals leads would be needed. There will be a spell where we get overrun, where we make errors and where we get pinned back.

As for Lukaku, the cole comparison is a good shout: great goals record, but a reputation for not having the best link up. I don't see anything that Cole had (when he arrived) that Lukaku doesn't now. He's 24. Same age as Cole when he came. He has the tools to be better and you see it in glimpses.

We are a team of fine margins and still under construction.
Cole had much quicker feet, far more agile, meant if he did take a poor touch he could react and adapt. Lukaku's size can be a drawback sometimes, hard to move all that bulk in as nimble a fashion as someone like Cole. Movement was on a different level as well.

Rom has the power, size, and maybe straight line speed advantage, better in the air.

Unread 03-12-2017, 01:40 PM
dunk

Honestly do not like watching him.

Any chance of Madrid or Barca coming in for him?

Unread 03-12-2017, 02:16 PM
saffers

Been excellent and crucial to our big away wins this week.

Would love for it to be him who gets our winner next week against city.

Unread 03-12-2017, 02:18 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Lovely touch for the 3rd goal yesterday btw.

Unread 03-12-2017, 07:46 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers

Would even love for Fellaini to get our winner next week against them @#%&!s

Unread 03-12-2017, 07:52 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Would even love for Fellaini to get our winner next week against them @#%&!s

Actually, that would boil exquisite amounts of piss. Including some of our own fans, but that is a price worth paying

Unread 03-12-2017, 11:31 PM
Kangared

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers

Agreed. he has done everything people said he wasn't capable of doing. Worked selflessly for the team . Does need a big goal to shut the haters up but no way would I drop him.

Rest him midweek & give Zlat, Rashers & MickyT a run up top . With Pogs league ban he will play & that will be more than enough to see off CSKA

Unread 03-12-2017, 11:36 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Cole had much quicker feet, far more agile, meant if he did take a poor touch he could react and adapt. Lukaku's size can be a drawback sometimes, hard to move all that bulk in as nimble a fashion as someone like Cole. Movement was on a different level as well.

Rom has the power, size, and maybe straight line speed advantage, better in the air.
Not sure I agree there mate. Cole would often get the ball tangled up in his feet. I thought his movement was ok at first but got better.

Obviously they're physically very different, but I think comparisons can be rightly drawn.

I think a lot Lukaku's missing parts can be learned too.

Unread 03-12-2017, 11:40 PM
Neo

Thumbs down

He's a cumbersome, bumbling £#%&!ing oaf.

The sooner that one of Martial or Rashford are mature enough to lead the line for us on a weekly basis, the better.

Lukaku will get a lot of goals in purple patches, but he's just not classy enough on the ball for what I want to see in a first choice United striker.

Unread 10-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Tiberian

Mou made this choice. We can complain about the City spending but Utd chose to go the route of physicality and power, not making technical ability the priority.

This is what you get, a flat track bully of a player who can only be a stopgap if we want to challenge for the main prizes.

One of the worst individual performances in recent memory, disgusting footballer.

Unread 10-12-2017, 07:29 PM
Chris Quayd

Sell/kill him.
Closed Thread