United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-09-2012, 09:06 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_Paul_Parker
What it eventually boils down to is you either accept and keep supporting the team, or it's a step too far away from the club we all grew up with. It's slightly sad I think that the kids of today will grow up thinking this kind of thing is the norm and not knowing any better, not knowing there was actually a time when it even mattered to the player who he played for, and not just the figure going into his bank account every week. There will be zero role models left in football when the old guard I mentioned eventually retire. And that's the real tragedy about the state of the game today in my opinion.
And I agree with much of it. I guess what it comes down to is what's important to you as an individual, and what your tolerance level is. Many have already surpassed theirs which is why FC exists. Others are getting there it seems.

Sad? Very.

Unread 06-09-2012, 09:07 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabs
How does that compare to the same period prior to the buy-out?

I may have to review my opinion.
That's from the time of the buyout, May 05.

EDIT: Sorry, misread. That's my research limit I'm afraid.

Unread 06-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Scabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
That's from the time of the buyout, May 05.

EDIT: Sorry, misread. That's my research limit I'm afraid.
And I can't be bothered...

Unread 06-09-2012, 09:12 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabs
And I can't be bothered...
Clearly.

Unread 06-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Can't believe big mike was a regular in the 1950's. Footballers care who they played for rofl:

Maybe if you stopped scoffing on burgers for 5 seconds, you'd understand what I said.

You're saying that the players I mentioned had no care at all for the teams they played for? Now wipe that £#%&!ing relish off your chin before it drips onto your t-shirt again

Unread 06-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Sumo

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
This mad dash to optimize revenues will lead to the renaming of Old Trafford. There is no way that the Glazers are going to sit on that untapped income source forever.

Probably the only thing that has stopped them thus far is the fear of supporter backlash, but now they have shareholder interest to cite along with the imminent restrictions of FFP. They don't give a £#%&! about our history, they just needed the justification.
Good post and agree with this.

Unread 06-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Withers

I'm even sure I would be bothered about it anymore.

We're stuck with the @#%&!s, given up moaning and might as well make the most of it.

Unread 06-09-2012, 09:38 AM
aardvark

(Chevy) Volt Trafford

One thing you should remember is that 'Old Trafford' is a brand with value too. It represents englishness and tradition. The sporting equivalent of Buckingham Palace or McBrunchingham Palace as it's soon to be known. So it will be Something's Old Trafford. Liptons Traditional English Tea Old Trafford.

Unread 06-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Tumescent Throb

Not sure they'll bother renaming it at all, they're just kind of sponsoring around it right now. Maybe one of these sponsors having naming rights would scare off some of the others a bit and make it harder to continue the current strategy?

If some £#%&!ers came in and cleared the debt would you be happy for them to rename to say the Ryanair Stadium, Lancashireish? What about if they agreed to redevelop the main stand in return for calling us Disneyland Manchester?

The history of United doesn't end when the stadium changes anyway. History is just stuff that happened before. There was a decent post put up on here about that from a Chelsea fan that people were creaming themselves over.

Unread 06-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Not sure they'll bother renaming it at all, they're just kind of sponsoring around it right now. Maybe one of these sponsors having naming rights would scare off some of the others a bit and make it harder to continue the current strategy?

If some £#%&!ers came in and cleared the debt would you be happy for them to rename to say the Ryanair Stadium, Lancashireish? What about if they agreed to redevelop the main stand in return for calling us Disneyland Manchester?

The history of United doesn't end when the stadium changes anyway. History is just stuff that happened before. There was a decent post put up on here about that from a Chelsea fan that people were creaming themselves over.
Will never happen

If we got 200m, it would go on interest payments and new holiday homes in florida

Unread 06-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Will never happen

If we got 200m, it would go on interest payments and new holiday homes in florida
meant new owners

Unread 06-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
meant new owners
You mean someone to whom 700m is pocket change?

Could happen I suppose - I harbour the suspicion that anyone that is planning on chucking a billion quid about for a laugh is much more likely to not want to see 70% of that swallowed up in bills and it would be much more fun fun polishing a turd, see chelsea, man citeh etc etc...

Unread 06-09-2012, 01:02 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:

I think one of the points being made is that changes that happen at the club or have the potential to happen overwhelmingly seem to take the club further away from the thing that people fell in love with in the first place.

The naming of the stadium isnt that big a deal for me personally; it wouid simply further re-emphasise the fact that the game and the club and my affection for both are heading in different directions.

The simple thing is to find a different interest which something like a stadium name change will encourage a number of united fans to do, much like in 2005 when 4-5000 united fans left the club.

Unread 06-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
You mean someone to whom 700m is pocket change?

Could happen I suppose - I harbour the suspicion that anyone that is planning on chucking a billion quid about for a laugh is much more likely to not want to see 70% of that swallowed up in bills and it would be much more fun fun polishing a turd, see chelsea, man citeh etc etc...
it was a wholly hypothetical someone, so let's imagine they have a clever accountant who works for peanuts if it makes it easier

maybe they have a giant hedgehog fund they can barter with?

Unread 06-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
I think one of the points being made is that changes that happen at the club or have the potential to happen overwhelmingly seem to take the club further away from the thing that people fell in love with in the first place.

The naming of the stadium isnt that big a deal for me personally; it wouid simply further re-emphasise the fact that the game and the club and my affection for both are heading in different directions.

The simple thing is to find a different interest which something like a stadium name change will encourage a number of united fans to do, much like in 2005 when 4-5000 united fans left the club.
thanks for the pixels

Unread 06-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
thanks for the pixels
You know sometimes you can come across as quite rude

Unread 06-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
You know sometimes you can come across as quite rude
glad to see my usual patience with the likes of MNIK has been noted

Unread 06-09-2012, 01:31 PM
My Name is Keith

Someone please help me!!!! I'm being attacked live on the internet by an absolute monster.

Unread 06-09-2012, 01:32 PM
denis lawless

Wink

Quote:
Someone please help me!!!! I'm being attacked live on the internet by an absolute monster.
ignore him...most of us do

Unread 06-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Closed Thread