United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 14-11-2023, 05:56 PM
RedNick80

1988 aged 8 - can't rememer who.

Taken my lad from the age of about 6. 3-4 times a year.

He's loved it every time, although were in the Stretford End high up when he was 7 and as everyone stands up throughout, he coulnd't see easily and got tired balancing on the seat to watch.

He still sings '...why dont city go-away home' walking round the house. (He's 11 now and knows full well what the song is but knows how to avoid a clip round the ear from his Mum).

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
I was 6

Not taken my daughter to OT yet to my eternal shame.

She has zero interest in football
My daughter is 8, never shown that much interest but might take her to see the girls in the derby this Sunday.

Unread 14-11-2023, 05:59 PM
Hyman_Roth

Mufc v Liverpool in 1978 - we got hammered I think 3-0. Went probably 10 times after that with friends but started going to all the games in 84/85 when I could go on my own. and then away from 86 onwards. loved it because it always felt really unsafe.

Have taken my kids from a very early age 3/4 onwards. I might be on camera running down the family stand towards the tunnel at the end of the mufc v LFC match (as the players went off) chanting you scouse bastard with a toddler in one hand, pointing and giving it the ‘v’s’ in the other after the Suarez Evra handshake match.

Proud dad moment.

Unread 14-11-2023, 06:14 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
the Suarez Evra handshake match.
Just endured a quiet moment of 'wtf?' reflection when worked out this was almost 12 years ago.

Unread 14-11-2023, 06:20 PM
magic_cantona

1988 vs Villa, 1-1 at Old Trafford. Steve Bruce scored.

Took my daughter from the age of 10/11. She met Juan Mata, who is probably the nicest footballer I've met. She also met Di Maria

I took my brother in law and his best mate to United vs Valencia, the day Keano signed his new deal. Both of them burst into tears at the top of the steps. Marvellous.

Unread 14-11-2023, 06:33 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Mufc v Liverpool in 1978 - we got hammered I think 3-0. Went probably 10 times after that with friends but started going to all the games in 84/85 when I could go on my own. and then away from 86 onwards. loved it because it always felt really unsafe.

Have taken my kids from a very early age 3/4 onwards. I might be on camera running down the family stand towards the tunnel at the end of the mufc v LFC match (as the players went off) chanting you scouse bastard with a toddler in one hand, pointing and giving it the ‘v’s’ in the other after the Suarez Evra handshake match.

Proud dad moment.
That’s a lovely story, and I’m sure your child will speak fondly of such a beautiful bonding experience after you are long gone

Still doesn’t beat wiganste’s tale of a European away in some Eastern European hellhole when he not only lost his child but only found him because he heard some reds expressing concern about a child who had just been bitten by a stray dog

Unread 14-11-2023, 06:58 PM
Motown Manc

I was 13, October 1986 during the final days of Big Ron, a 3-1 win v Sheffield Wednesday.

My parents were wary of letting me go to OT due to the hooligan element back then but the moment I began swaying in unison with the Stretford End during the game was one of the best moments I had experienced up to that point.

I have no kids but I would defo take them to OT.

Unread 14-11-2023, 07:00 PM
TravellingRed

I was 5 1986/87 season v West Brom. Can't say I remember it at all, still got my junior devil's membership card though from that season

Unread 14-11-2023, 07:12 PM
Chorlton74

Lou Macari's testimonial for me. 1984.

My lads first game was Club Brugge in 15 or 16.

Unread 14-11-2023, 07:14 PM
Finport Red

11 for me. 1979.

1-1 draw against Crystal Palace,,Joe Jordan late equaliser.

Unread 14-11-2023, 07:14 PM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
That’s a lovely story, and I’m sure your child will speak fondly of such a beautiful bonding experience after you are long gone

Still doesn’t beat wiganste’s tale of a European away in some Eastern European hellhole when he not only lost his child but only found him because he heard some reds expressing concern about a child who had just been bitten by a stray dog
Cousin took his 10 year old to a similar away, got worse for wear and phoned his Mrs. Probably wasn't a good idea to ask how said son had got on at school that day....

Unread 14-11-2023, 08:08 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark
Cousin took his 10 year old to a similar away, got worse for wear and phoned his Mrs. Probably wasn't a good idea to ask how said son had got on at school that day....

Unread 14-11-2023, 09:17 PM
chooch

The Tommy Doc years for me. Aston Villa. First chant I heard was '£#%&! off Villa' accompanied by a sea of V signs. Started taking the kids to FC when they were about 6 and 7. First time they went to Old Trafford they ended up on TV . Blackburn in a semi final I think.

Unread 14-11-2023, 09:23 PM
Travis Bickle

September 1968 v West Ham. I was 8. We won 5 - 2. I remember Best and Charlton scoring. Law did not play. Ian bloody Ure scored too! I watched it on YouTube recently - West Ham had Moore, Hurst, Peters and ... Harry Redknap in the team.

My lad's first game was in the League Cup against Bury. He was 5? I think the game was switched to OT from Gigg Lane.

Unread 14-11-2023, 09:31 PM
Ethers

8. We lost 2-1 to Forest. Collymore scored an absolute banger, the @#%&!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark
Superb

Unread 14-11-2023, 09:33 PM
otbarney

10 years old in 1968 a shitty 0-0 draw with Ipswich, but I £#%&!in loved it.
Stretford End seating.

Unread 14-11-2023, 10:05 PM
Dacter

7 years old.

1993 vs QPR, my Uncle took me on his ST in the Scoreboard End.

Bradley Allen opened the scoring but we hit back to win 2-1 via Hughes and Cantona.

30 years later and I still get a buzz thinking about it.

Unread 14-11-2023, 10:43 PM
avocado

First one I can remember was the European Cup Semi Final v Milan in 1969 (I was clearly either very fortunate or very spoiled) when a referee/linesman did us. Some things never change. Nearly 30 years later first took son when he was still a baby and then every game from age 3. It wasn’t until the 2009 final that he realised we didn’t win (nearly) everything.

Unread 14-11-2023, 10:55 PM
Lok

I was 12. I got tickets through the clubs "soccer school" they ran in the summer holidays. It was against QPR and I think we won 2-0. Eric was missing as he got sent off in a friendly, i was gutted. Hughes scored a nice goal.

I took my lad to his first game a few days before his second birthday and he loved it. It was Scholes' testimonial.

Unread 15-11-2023, 05:25 AM
believe

Slightly different angle but we went to a Wimbledon game mid 90’s in fancy dress. One of lads missus was due that week and she’d begged him not to go and he said she’d be fine and he’d be back. We went on the train and had had been drinking for about six hours when he got a phone call saying she’d gone in to labour. He managed to convince a taxi driver to take him for 200 quid and when got to the hospital in Warrington he was still steaming and dressed as Noddy and they wouldn’t let him in to the maternity ward. Caused a scene and got arrested and missed the birth of his child.

Unread 15-11-2023, 06:15 AM
croady26

6-1 November 1997 v Sheffield Wednesday