Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Neo

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Very strange one that.

Was an utter nobody even in Denmark. I'm sure Schmeichel popped up in the press when it was announced and gave it the
I remember the days when Borsuk was arguing that he should be our number 1 ahead of De Gea.

Also wanted Stekelenberg as the original replacement for Van Der Sar, IIRC.

£#%&!ing clueless cueball-headed @#%&!.

Unread 09-11-2017, 08:54 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
I remember the days when Borsuk was arguing that he should be our number 1 ahead of De Gea.

Also wanted Stekelenberg as the original replacement for Van Der Sar, IIRC.

£#%&!ing clueless cueball-headed @#%&!.
Far from the only one tbh...
http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174579

Unread 10-11-2017, 08:17 AM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Van de Gouw
Bit harsh lumping him in with the likes of Carroll and Tiabi. Ray was a decent No 2 who knew his place and never let us down, as I remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It was around the time we started making those really weirdo signings. Diouf, Manucho, Foster, Buttner. Christ knows which random member of Fergie's family was scouting heavy around that period
I remember someone saying Ferie "got a touch of the Djembas" around that time.

Unread 10-11-2017, 08:24 AM
Billy Redface

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
Bit harsh lumping him in with the likes of Carroll and Tiabi. Ray was a decent No 2 who knew his place and never let us down, as I remember.

Van Der Gouw was a class No 2.

Unread 10-11-2017, 08:48 AM
Clarkie

Only time VDG messed up was against Bordeaux in the CL.
Other than that, very solid

Unread 10-11-2017, 08:57 AM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Only time VDG messed up was against Bordeaux in the CL.
Other than that, very solid
I think he was at fault for Dortmund's goal in the away leg of the semi in 1997. Was deflected but he had a lot of time to react IIRC.

Unread 10-11-2017, 09:00 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
I think he was at fault for Dortmund's goal in the away leg of the semi in 1997. Was deflected but he had a lot of time to react IIRC.
Still gives me nightmares that tie

Unread 10-11-2017, 10:37 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:

Can’t even remember who he was no. 2 for? Schmeichel? Fair enough.

+ Bellion and Miller. £#%&!ing terrible how we got from 1999 to that lot of shite in just a few years and wasn’t that pre-Glazer?

Unread 10-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Coracao

In fairness to Lindegaard, he was fairly steady from what I remember. Don't remember particular howlers that we saw from some of the others. He wasn't bought to start either like a fair few of them

Unread 10-11-2017, 10:46 AM
AK14

Quote:
Can’t even remember who he was no. 2 for? Schmeichel? Fair enough.

+ Bellion and Miller. £#%&!ing terrible how we got from 1999 to that lot of shite in just a few years and wasn’t that pre-Glazer?
Was the same after 08 too

The way we didn't strengthen after both CL wins was shocking.

Unread 10-11-2017, 10:47 AM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
In fairness to Lindegaard, he was fairly steady from what I remember. Don't remember particular howlers that we saw from some of the others. He wasn't bought to start either like a fair few of them
Reading away was a disasterclass.

Was shit in Fergie's final game too. De Gea would have saved at least three of those goals.

Great hair tho

Unread 10-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Van Der Gouw was a class No 2.
Guns you tit

Unread 10-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Reading away was a disasterclass.

Was shit in Fergie's final game too. De Gea would have saved at least three of those goals.

Great hair tho
Can't even remember Reading away tbf. He had some decent games too from what I remember. But they were perhaps earlier on. A lot of these seasons blend into one for me around 09-12.

Unread 10-11-2017, 10:58 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Central midfielder required: Leon Goretzka

Out of contract next summer, throw a nominal (£20m) fee at him & get in early doors.
Guardian rumour mill today:

Quote:
Germany general manager Oliver Bierhoff has accidentally let slip that Schalke midfielder Leon Goretzka has already agreed a deal to make his way to England next summer,

Unread 10-11-2017, 11:00 AM
Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Probably City, they were rumoured to be interested in him.

Unread 10-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Clarkie

Quote:

That tie should have been 10-2 on aggregate.

Absolute pony finishing

Unread 10-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Was the same after 08 too

The way we didn't strengthen after both CL wins was shocking.
Yep. Post 2008 always put down to the Glazers but what happened after 1999? The Fletcher, Bellion, Djemba years? Ok Fletcher developed into a decent player but he benefited from Ferie’s indulgence whereas better players haven’t. Ironic that just as he reached his peak he was denied a CL final by another @#%&! of a ref and then got the shits. Wasn’t this pre “no value” years? Fergie slackening or the club not spending?

Unread 10-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Yep. Post 2008 always put down to the Glazers but what happened after 1999? The Fletcher, Bellion, Djemba years? Ok Fletcher developed into a decent player but he benefited from Ferie’s indulgence whereas better players haven’t. Ironic that just as he reached his peak he was denied a CL final by another @#%&! of a ref and then got the shits .
In fairness, they were sometime after. It was the two summers after winning it where we failed to really capitalise.

99 out:

Schmeichel

99 in:

Bosnich
Fortune
Taibi
Silvestre

00 Out:

Taibi
Cruyff
Berg

00 in:

Barthez

In hindsight, we'd have been better off going for van der Sar, who I think was available the summer Schmeichel left, and looked for a top class centre half to partner Stam. We then followed up with the two big signings of Ruud and Veron, and completely offset that by selling Stam and bringing in Blanc

Unread 10-11-2017, 11:24 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
In fairness, they were sometime after. It was the two summers after winning it where we failed to really capitalise.

99 out:

Schmeichel

99 in:

Bosnich
Fortune
Taibi
Silvestre

00 Out:

Taibi
Cruyff
Berg

00 in:

Barthez

In hindsight, we'd have been better off going for van der Sar, who I think was available the summer Schmeichel left, and looked for a top class centre half to partner Stam. We then followed up with the two big signings of Ruud and Veron, and completely offset that by selling Stam and bringing in Blanc

Looks like we failed to capitalise immediately after, looking at that lot. We brought in Ruud tbf and Rio not long after that but even he was a belated replacement for Stam. Veron had his fanboys but apart from a few fancy twirls.... not a clue why we signed him and nor did Fergie in hindsight. Just lost the plot for a few years whilst Fergie went to the races.

Unread 10-11-2017, 12:57 PM
AK14

Quote:

99 out:

Schmeichel

99 in:

Bosnich
Fortune
Taibi
Silvestre

00 Out:

Taibi
Cruyff
Berg

00 in:

Barthez

Pretty sure VDS had already agreed to join Juve for 7.5m

Fergie wanted to do it on the cheap so went for Bosnich on a free

One of fergies few flaws was he never strengthened us while we were in a position of strength, for what ever reason. Read something on Martin Edwards where he said the reason we didn't sign Batistuta was they saw him as more of a luxury signing and his wages would blow the wage structure to bits at the time makes you think of the number of players we've missed out on over the years
Closed Thread