United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology
Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 03:15 PM
MonkeyOnMyBack

Default Home Security

All advice appreciated

A couple weeks ago woke up to find the front door ajar, letterbox flipped up - coat hanger through the letterbox and flip the latch. Made it easy for them as weve been lax with the double locking.

Bit creepy as they walked passed some nickable stuff to come upstairs into the bedroom while we slept and take the girlfs handbag and my trousers from beside the bed - her purse, my wallet and house keys is all they got. We dont have a car.

So we changed the locks installed a security light for the little porch and set up a webcam pointing the the front path. And we keep the chubb locked whether we're in or out of the house.

Girlf came down this morning to find the letterbox flipped and the door had been pushed to - no entry gained. Webcam shows a blur walk by.

Any ideas on what we could do to alert us if they are trying or to put them off even trying ?

What id like is to run an quiet alarm/alert to the bedroom only, via the sensor we already have for the security light.

This is the closest ive seen but is battery powered

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Wea...pr_product_top

Tvm

Old 01-07-2014, 03:17 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyOnMyBack
All advice appreciated

A couple weeks ago woke up to find the front door ajar, letterbox flipped up - coat hanger through the letterbox and flip the latch. Made it easy for them as weve been lax with the double locking.

Bit creepy as they walked passed some nickable stuff to come upstairs into the bedroom while we slept and take the girlfs handbag and my trousers from beside the bed - her purse, my wallet and house keys is all they got. We dont have a car.

So we changed the locks installed a security light for the little porch and set up a webcam pointing the the front path. And we keep the chubb locked whether we're in or out of the house.

Girlf came down this morning to find the letterbox flipped and the door had been pushed to - no entry gained. Webcam shows a blur walk by.

Any ideas on what we could do to alert us if they are trying or to put them off even trying ?

What id like is to run an quiet alarm/alert to the bedroom only, via the sensor we already have for the security light.

Tvm

where do you live pol?

Old 01-07-2014, 03:21 PM
MonkeyOnMyBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopborsky
where do you live pol?
East London, Leytonstone.. Been a spate of these - two garden neighbours, from the street parallel - got done exactly the same way about a month ago.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:23 PM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyOnMyBack
All advice appreciated

Tvm
put one of those wire basket things behind the letterbox. post can still be delivered but wont allow anything else

Old 01-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Poop

Old 01-07-2014, 03:25 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
put one of those wire basket things behind the letterbox. post can still be delivered but wont allow anything else
thank you, kevin mcallister.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:25 PM
naes_sean

Old 01-07-2014, 03:29 PM
MonkeyOnMyBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Jaysus - everyone had them when when i was growing up. May have to resort to that - though its a narrow hallway - hinge is on the wall of the corridor latch on the other wall - basically a door width wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poop
If i work from home id have one in a shot.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:42 PM
forwardirektion

If it was a blur it might be a ghost

Old 01-07-2014, 03:43 PM
MonkeyOnMyBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardirektion
If it was a blur it might be a ghost
Superman was my first thought.
Closed Thread