United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-07-2020, 10:43 AM
Switching Off

Talking Football Writers Player of the Year

In 1997 New Forms won the Mercury, beating out OK Computer and Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space.

Today Jordan Henderson has won the FW Player of the Year.

Unread 24-07-2020, 10:44 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
In 1997 New Forms won the Mercury, beating out OK Computer and Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space.

Today Jordan Henderson has won the FW Player of the Year.
You wot mate?

Unread 24-07-2020, 10:45 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
You wot mate?
An equally laughable choice.

Unread 24-07-2020, 10:48 AM
Baron

New Forms is a £#%&!ing classic you hoof£#%&!ing bungle@#%&!. here fishy, fishy

Unread 24-07-2020, 10:49 AM
Dr Stranger

A symbolic award if ever there was one.

Unread 24-07-2020, 10:52 AM
Jethro

Ten years since a United player last won it

Unread 24-07-2020, 10:52 AM
NedKelly

He’s one of the most average players I’ve ever seen. Does anyone have that compilation of misplaced passes he made in one game? The moment Liverpool run out of steam (it’s coming, Klopp doesn’t have a plan b to his “heavy metal football” and all it will take is a couple of injuries and a few players feeling the strain), he will stand out as one of their weak spots; when Klopp leaves he will be their Ashley Young.

Unread 24-07-2020, 10:55 AM
no fun

Jordan £#%&!ing henderson

The personification of the English midfielder

Shakes his fist
Shouts a lot
Hits every pass a little too hard
Squares up to opponents in the knowledge he won’t get punched or butted

I have genuinely....and I’m not hyping this up....played against better players on wythenshawe park

NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Ten years since a United player last won it
That’s crazy. Just checked and Bale beat RvP to it when we won the league... bale was fantastic but RvP was an absolute machine and was on a mission to get the title that year, unbelievable he didn’t win it.

originalhogg

I stopped taking the Football Writers awards serious when they gave it to David Ginola in 99.

Unread 24-07-2020, 10:59 AM
Jack Duckworth

new forms was a great album tbf, but ok computer should've won that year.

the fwa mean nothing. it's just a back-slapping event and another example of football 'journalists' thinking that their opinion is worth more than your average joe.

Unread 24-07-2020, 10:59 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhogg
I stopped taking the Football Writers awards serious when they gave it to David Ginola in 99.
For one goal against Barnsley.

Unread 24-07-2020, 11:00 AM
Medlock

Henderson

Unread 24-07-2020, 11:03 AM
originalhogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
For one goal against Barnsley.
Yep, that's the one.

Unread 24-07-2020, 11:03 AM
Vedder

Not even Liverpool’s player of the season ffs

Unread 24-07-2020, 11:08 AM
pedr0

https://www.theguardian.com/football...er-of-the-year

Quote:
The top five players in the FWA vote were Henderson, De Bruyne, Marcus Rashford, Virgil van Dijk and Sadio Mané, and 10 other players received votes: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Alisson, Raheem Sterling, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Sergio Agüero, Adama Traoré, Danny Ings, Jack Grealish, James Maddison and Jonny Evans.
football writers are such an odd bunch

Unread 24-07-2020, 11:08 AM
utd99

Henderson, ffs

All he’s ever done is ride the coat-tails of better players, whether it be Suarez and Sterling or Mane and Salah. Same for that boring @#%&! Milner.

In a just universe they both top out at Burnley.

Unread 24-07-2020, 11:09 AM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
He’s one of the most average players I’ve ever seen. Does anyone have that compilation of misplaced passes he made in one game? The moment Liverpool run out of steam (it’s coming, Klopp doesn’t have a plan b to his “heavy metal football” and all it will take is a couple of injuries and a few players feeling the strain), he will stand out as one of their weak spots; when Klopp leaves he will be their Ashley Young.
this isn't personal at all...

but give over

united fans and fans in general have a way of trying to convince themselves of things - like City would never win the league... Carlo hammered me for saying [years ago] City would dominate for a spell and they did. We even set up a thread on here taking the piss out of liverpool and the 28/29/30 years. It's happening with Liverpool - "a few injuries, klopp going..." that well may be the case, but they've been good this season and worthy winners. not like blackburn or even city on occassions. i think it's quite plausible that they will win it again next season.

As for henderson - it's always the way. the british press like an underdog and a "traditional bulldog player" - it stems from inverted snobbery and insecurity and it also is the icing on the cake for the scouse lovers amongst them. No fun is right - henderson is £#%&!ing bobbins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Henderson, ffs

All he’s ever done is ride the coat-tails of better players, whether it be Suarez and Sterling or Mane and Salah. Same for that boring @#%&! Milner.

In a just universe they both top out at Burnley.
this.

Unread 24-07-2020, 11:20 AM
est.1878

If you look at previous winners they seem to be unreasonably intolerant of voting for someone whos already won it.

Henry looks the only one to have won more than once at first glance. Three times

Unread 24-07-2020, 11:23 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
this isn't personal at all...

but give over

united fans and fans in general have a way of trying to convince themselves of things - like City would never win the league... Carlo hammered me for saying [years ago] City would dominate for a spell and they did. We even set up a thread on here taking the piss out of liverpool and the 28/29/30 years. It's happening with Liverpool - "a few injuries, klopp going..." that well may be the case, but they've been good this season and worthy winners. not like blackburn or even city on occassions. i think it's quite plausible that they will win it again next season.

As for henderson - it's always the way. the british press like an underdog and a "traditional bulldog player" - it stems from inverted snobbery and insecurity and it also is the icing on the cake for the scouse lovers amongst them. No fun is right - henderson is f***ing bobbins.

this.
Nah it happened at Dortmund after several years and it’s easy to forget he’s already been at Liverpool for 5. No doubting he’s good at what he does but you take 2/3 key players out of that Liverpool squad and they look a lot more average. They’ll definitely be top 3, and might win the league next year, but I bet within a couple of years Liverpool aren’t as dominant as they currently look to be.
Closed Thread