Still Gash

Unread 01-05-2018, 10:58 PM
suedeshoes

The Belgian John Hartson.

Unread 02-05-2018, 02:55 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

He started brilliantly, and has been a lot less reliable for most of the season. The best way to illustrate that is him scoring seven goals in the first six weeks, and then just nine goals in the following seven months. I mean that really does back up the argument imo.
Fair point. Nothing disagreeable there. Started well. Faded. Overall done okay for first season, but could do better.

It is pretty much agreeing with what Billy said.

Unread 02-05-2018, 07:22 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
We've got to stop this dreadful misuse of the term agenda, when it's just someone having an opinion on things.

He started brilliantly, and has been a lot less reliable for most of the season. The best way to illustrate that is him scoring seven goals in the first six weeks, and then just nine goals in the following seven months. I mean that really does back up the argument imo.
Has he become less reliable? 6 in his last 12, compared to the 3 in his previous 12 before that. That would actually suggest he tailed off for a while, but has improved again.

See, we don't get the full picture if we start extracting little phases of the season to suit an argument.

I have no issue with you having a different opinion at all. As I said, if 28 in a season isn't enough, fair enough, but you deliberately took a 7 month spell instead of a 9 month spell - which would much more sensibly include the whole season - to suit that argument. And even the conclusion you draw from that extraction isn't correct. Which is why doing it is misleading and taking the season as a whole is the fair thing to do.

I don't think anyone is claiming it's been perfect either. We're all aware of that barren run mid-season. You just selected a time period where that barren run took place.

Btw, perhaps agenda is the wrong word. I retract it, but it's certainly disingenuous.

He has 28 goals, 16 in the league. Either side could cherry-pick any part of the season to make those stats look better or worse.

Unread 02-05-2018, 08:28 AM
Bunker Buster

You can’t argue with his goal total, you can that he will lead us back to the top...

I’d also rest him more for the other young talent we have on the books...

Unread 02-05-2018, 08:59 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
You can’t argue with his goal total, you can that he will lead us back to the top...

Said the same at the start of the season. Potential 30 goals a season but not necessarily a match winner on his own. He is just one part. His stupid price makes a lot of people forget that. Should definitely be rotated more (which I think would benefit him a lot). Idiotic writing him off after what has been a good season with lots of progress, but I guess that’s the modern supporter.

Unread 02-05-2018, 09:03 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
We've got to stop this dreadful misuse of the term agenda, when it's just someone having an opinion on things.
I identify as agenda neutral.

Unread 02-05-2018, 09:20 AM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Said the same at the start of the season. Potential 30 goals a season but not necessarily a match winner on his own. He is just one part. His stupid price makes a lot of people forget that. Should definitely be rotated more (which I think would benefit him a lot). Idiotic writing him off after what has been a good season with lots of progress, but I guess that’s the modern supporter.
His price is irrelevant re; the observations I'm making. ..it's not a case of writing anybody off either.

It's about natural ability & big game swagger.
Stylistically the impact he has on the way we play is also one of my major issues with him.
I don't think comparisons with Heskey are too far off the mark tbh

Unfair to talk about "the modern supporter" too, most the lads on here have been fans for donkeys years ffs
We were top dogs for over 2 decades & know full well what a top class forward looks like.

Unread 02-05-2018, 09:43 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Yeah I’d say that’s a fair assessment on it all tbh ()

For me he’ll bet better and has improved massively. I’d also like to see him tried on the right wing tbh, he’s without a doubt our best crosser of the ball imo.

Unread 02-05-2018, 09:46 AM
Wellinever

For me Lukaku serves a purpose in Jose's way of playing, but as an individual player getting the service he requires is limited. His first touch is poor, so balls played to him with his back to goal will always be risky.

For me Lukaku seems to be most dangerous when he cuts in from the right side, you can then have the same as on the left as with Martial, two strongly built men running at pace at defenders, from both wings.

Lukaku's main problem for me is he is always that split second behind his marking defender when both have to move towards the ball. Its so obvious at times, its almost like he doesn't see the pass/ball coming and only moves off his spot when his marker makes a move. If he improves that aspect it will increase his effectiveness significantly.

Unread 02-05-2018, 09:48 AM
Zorg

Defo warmed to him. He still has a first touch to rival Mal Donaghy’s but I can’t fault his goal tally and he never hides.

I’d just like to see United’s main striker have a lot more natural ability and presence.

Unread 02-05-2018, 10:01 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
His price is irrelevant re; the observations I'm making. ..it's not a case of writing anybody off either.

It's about natural ability & big game swagger.
Stylistically the impact he has on the way we play is also one of my major issues with him.
I don't think comparisons with Heskey are too far off the mark tbh

Unfair to talk about "the modern supporter" too, most the lads on here have been fans for donkeys years ffs
We were top dogs for over 2 decades & know full well what a top class forward looks like.
Happy for you.
But don't know where you got the impression I was referring to you in my post.

Unread 02-05-2018, 10:08 AM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Happy for you.
But don't know where you got the impression I was referring to you in my post.
I didn't think you were, I just responded to your point about the price tag in context of my opinion of the player.
Football's gone batshit mental. It doesn't matter how much anybody costs these days.

My reservations about Lukaku are just pissing in the wind though because he's here to stay & Jose will continue to build the side around him.

A Cup Final winner & a decent World Cup won't do him any harm for next season

Unread 02-05-2018, 10:16 AM
The Stella Fella

The way we set up in big games is never going to suit him. Hence he doesnt score many in those games. He should be benched for them games if Jose continues as he does and play Rashers or even The Sulker

Unread 02-05-2018, 10:17 AM
AK14

Quote:
I didn't think you were, I just responded to your point about the price tag in context of my opinion of the player.
Football's gone batshit mental. It doesn't matter how much anybody costs these days.

My reservations about Lukaku are just pissing in the wind though because he's here to stay & Jose will continue to build the side around him.

Weren’t you complaining about our net spend yesterday??

Unread 02-05-2018, 10:21 AM
saffers

Quote:

I support him but also admit he could and should have done better. I wouldn't back him if I didn't think he had the potential to transform us into title winners. A striker with all the right attributes imo. Great attitude as well.

Unread 02-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Erm, I think that’s kind of his point tbf

Unread 02-05-2018, 10:43 AM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
No. I said I didn't give a shit about 'net spend'
I was complaining about the amount we'd paid out & were still as far away as ever.

When I said "Football's gone batshit mental. It doesn't matter how much anybody costs these days" I meant it as a criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Great attitude as well.
Yep agreed
Like I say, I do like the lad & he has scored some nice goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
yes, yes it was

Unread 02-05-2018, 10:44 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Was it? Cool...

Can’t remember if it was MJ and what he actually said tbf

Unread 02-05-2018, 11:05 AM
shenwen

Quote:

Fair enough
I had huge reservations when we bought him. Over the course of the season though, he’s starting to impress me much more. Hoping that with some good coaching, he can only improve. Think Mourinho so far has been playing to Lukaku’s more obvious attributes to help him settle in (and try to justify his purchase).

Maybe next season we see Mou introduce more variety of play with Lukaku and more positional rotation. That one though really needs the crossed fingers though
Closed Thread