United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-09-2008, 08:41 AM
antonin jablonsky

Default I really wish United were playing this weekend.

I want to see the Berbster playing for us. £#%&!ing shitty stupid international football!!!

Unread 04-09-2008, 08:54 AM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

truth, plus i think this will give Gerrard and Torres just enough time to come back fit

Unread 04-09-2008, 08:55 AM
puressence

torres i doubt but maybe steviegggggggggggggg

Unread 04-09-2008, 08:55 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
truth, plus i think this will give Gerrard and Torres just enough time to come back fit
Gerrard definitely, not sure about Torres. Looking forward to the dippers game now, this wqill gradually turn into severe anxiety as the game aproaches.

Unread 04-09-2008, 09:00 AM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Gerrard definitely, not sure about Torres. Looking forward to the dippers game now, this wqill gradually turn into severe anxiety as the game aproaches.
standard its the law of averages that keeps worrying me, they are due!

Unread 04-09-2008, 09:02 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
standard its the law of averages that keeps worrying me, they are due!
Yup, though I'd quite like us to have a proper go at them rather than go cagey as we have recently at Anfailed and sneak a result from a tight game. I think if we had a proper go at 'em they could be there for the taking.

Unread 04-09-2008, 09:07 AM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

It will be cagey again, berbie will come off the bench and unlock it for us

Unread 04-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Gazw649

Quote:
It will be cagey again, berbie will come off the bench and unlock it for us
For £30mill i'd expect the £#%&!er to start

Unread 04-09-2008, 09:34 AM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazw649
For £30mill i'd expect the £#%&!er to start
Rooney on the bench?

Unread 04-09-2008, 09:35 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Rooney on the bench?
nope, Rooney Tevez and the Berbmeister all start in a front 3.

Unread 04-09-2008, 09:36 AM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
nope, Rooney Tevez and the Berbmeister all start in a front 3.
Bold, love it to happen but i just can't see it.

Unread 04-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Ginners

didnt pure say tevez is gonna get back from internationals quite late, i reckon he could be on the bench

Unread 04-09-2008, 09:38 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Bold, love it to happen but i just can't see it.
Wouldn't be that bold, we played that system towards the end of last season, CL Final too, with Ronnie playing ahead of Rooney and Tevez. Justy swap Berbington for Ronnie.

Unread 04-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginlarde
didnt pure say tevez is gonna get back from internationals quite late, i reckon he could be on the bench

Unread 04-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
once in a blue moon he is right about something

Unread 04-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Wouldn't be that bold, we played that system towards the end of last season, CL Final too, with Ronnie playing ahead of Rooney and Tevez. Justy swap Berbington for Ronnie.
We did? I must have missed that.

Unread 04-09-2008, 09:48 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
We did? I must have missed that.
Well, it isn't rigid but Ronnie certainly played more centrally and further forward than Tevez and Rooney in general. It is an advantage of playing a 3 with the players we have, that you take advantage of their flexibility.

Unread 04-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Well, it isn't rigid but Ronnie certainly played more centrally and further forward than Tevez and Rooney in general. It is an advantage of playing a 3 with the players we have, that you take advantage of their flexibility.
I'm not disputing that Ronaldo played as a striker in a few of our matches towards the end of the season - heck, even as early as the match at Anfield he was switched up front for a spell - but certainly not in the Champions League final, where he clearly played most of the match as a pretty orthodox winger (and to great effect too, particularly in the first half, when he tore Essien to pieces). And I would disagree with your categorisation of Rooney and Tevez's positions here as well.

The matches in which Ronaldo started as a striker, from memory:

Birmingham at home. Ronaldo plays up front with Tevez, with Park and Nani on the wings in a 4-4-2. Rooney unavailable.

Roma away. Here we played the majority of the match with what was essentially a very deep five man midfield, with Rooney spending much of his time in effect playing as a left sided wing-back. Tevez on the bench.

Barca away. Tevez, on paper, is playing in the hole in 4-4-1-1, but in reality, after the first fifteen minutes or so - as Barca increasingly begin to dominate possession - ends up spending most of his time marking Yaya Toure as a fifth central midfielder. As in Rome, Rooney is again effectively operating as a wing-back, albeit this time on the right flank.

Barca at home. Ronaldo starts the match up front with Tevez in a fairly standard 4-4-2, with a team set out to begin very aggressive organised pressing quite high up the pitch. Rooney out injured.

West Ham at home. Ronaldo starts up front with Tevez, again as a front two, and again with Rooney unavailable.

Unread 04-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Berbs Tevez and Rooney, and I'm a little sick of saying this tbh, will not all start. Why would saf change his gameplan that has worked so well over the past number of seasons at Anfield?

Fletcher will play.
Anderon won't, he'll be injured.
If Tevez is indeed late back, maybe it'll be berbs and Rooney, but most likely
it'll be tevez and Rooney.
Carrick will be rushed back. Hargreaves will be unavailable.

Gerrard or Torres, or both will start.

Unread 04-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Gazw649

Quote:
Rooney on the bench?
Yes.
Closed Thread