United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Mr_Ed

Default 96 Charity Shield

Shearer signed for the Gawdies and the game was all about him. We battered em. We would've been at another level if SOP had signed for us.

Unread 25-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Stickman

We were immense that game. Cantonas ball for Nicky Butt

Unread 25-10-2014, 05:14 PM
red in cumbria

It was nice at the time, yeah - shame the Jawdies got their revenge a few months later

Unread 25-10-2014, 06:07 PM
ryanMUFC

Fell off my seat that day and spent half the game in the medics room

Unread 25-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Crumps

Got a stack of about 50 of them NOTW hats. Got piss wet through coming out and was drenched all the way home.

£5 my ticket was for that game.

Unread 25-10-2014, 06:46 PM
Jez Quigley

Butt's header is in my top 5 goals of all time.

Perfection IMO.

Unread 25-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
We were immense that game. Cantonas ball for Nicky Butt
It was beckham.

Unread 25-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
We would've been at another level if SOP had signed for us.
Yeah, I reckon we'd have gone on to win the Double Double, 3-in-a-row, The Treble and the World Club Cup. If only...

Unread 25-10-2014, 06:57 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Yeah, I reckon we'd have gone on to win the Double Double, 3-in-a-row, The Treble and the World Club Cup. If only...

We could have won more you sarcy @#%&!.

Unread 25-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Shearer signed for the Gawdies and the game was all about him. We battered em. We would've been at another level if SOP had signed for us.

Man Utd v Newcastle 1996 FA Charity Shield - YouTube
Giggsy's passing in that vid Some talk as if he only developed that side of his game in his latter career, absurdly creative player. The Butt goal is a thing of beauty, scrapping for the ball in midfield, penetrative pass from Giggs, nonchalant flick from Eric, a beaut of a driven cross finished with a diving header, sexy goal.

Unread 25-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
shit, did I miss the 97 title

Unread 25-10-2014, 07:06 PM
Neo

Quote:
Throb is the personification of MUTV. In his deluded world, United can do no wrong, and any negative word about the club is sacrilege.

Strange really, as a central ethos of Manchester United and it's supporters is a relentless desire to constantly win, and get better and better without resting on laurels.

Throb seems to take offence at the idea of believing United could have been better. As a result, his sentiments are more in line with that of a club like Arsenal than United IMO. The Gooner #@&%!.

Unread 25-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Not sure about that. Shearer would have scored a lot of goals, but I doubt he could ever have formed a partnership like Cole did with Yorke, too selfish and single minded in his play. Not many would put Cole and Yorke among the very best strikers of that era Worldwide but they were the best partnership in European Football of that period, only Rebrov and Shevchenko came close.

Their goal at the Nou Camp might be my favourite Utd goal ever

Unread 25-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Not sure about that. Shearer would have scored a lot of goals, but I doubt he could ever have formed a partnership like Cole did with Yorke, too selfish and single minded in his play. Not many would put Cole and Yorke among the very best strikers of that era Worldwide but they were the best partnership in European Football of that period, only Rebrov and Shevchenko came close.
this is how I see it as well.

it would've been interesting to see if Ferguson could have found a partner for Shearer, but it's pretty obvious Cole would never have responded positively to being bullied on the pitch by him.

there's been a few players on our trophy shots down the years who aren't United, but at least shearer isn't on any of them from that famous period.

Unread 25-10-2014, 08:09 PM
Mr_Ed

It's all ifs and buts but adding a 30+ goal a season striker to our team could have helped in Europe... Monaco 98, Dortmund 97 spring to mind. Thing is we bought Ole instead and the rest is history.

Unread 25-10-2014, 09:42 PM
dinger

I watched that game in a pub in Dublin and it was the first time I became aware of the term ABU. My uncle was telling me for a few years of dubs referring to themselves as ABU's when a @#%&! with a liverpool shirt appeared in the bar with ABU printed across the back, he £#%&!ed off pretty sharpish.

Unread 25-10-2014, 09:47 PM
Zorg

I got stick off some geordies on a bus afterwards. 'Oh aye, born and bred mancs on a London bus'. Er, you're on the bus as well

Told them I was from Burnage, mate, and that shut them up [SIZE="1"]a bit.

Unread 25-10-2014, 09:47 PM
Neo

Shearer would have been brilliant for us, as would Tony Adams. I can see why Fergie was so desperate to sign both.

Imagine a spine of Schmeichel, Adams, Keane and Shearer. 4 leaders, 4 relentless winners, and 4 nasty @#%&!s. Managed by Fergie.

Unread 25-10-2014, 09:58 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Shearer would have been brilliant for us, as would Tony Adams. I can see why Fergie was so desperate to sign both.

Imagine a spine of Schmeichel, Adams, Keane and Shearer. 4 leaders, 4 relentless winners, and 4 nasty @#%&!s. Managed by Fergie.

Imagine Shearer in that 2nd leg against Dortmund in 1997....

Unread 25-10-2014, 10:31 PM
Zorg

Shearer was like Roy of the Rovers at that time. Both feet, headers, long distance strikes, free-kicks. He had the lot, a fantastic player.

Boring @#%&! though. Look at him now. 'Well, Sunderland were awful. Having said all that, Southampton were brilliant'. Meanwhile Eric is making movies, marrying film stars and hanging around with Betty Blue.
Closed Thread