United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-08-2017, 04:51 AM
Denis Irwell

Can't see this going well.

Having been an advocate of retro video reviews, what we've seen so far in experiments hasn't been encouraging.

Not easy, tbf. It all started with trying to eradicate cloggers and awarding a fk every time a player fell over. Gone too far the other way. Look at Hazards performance in the 4-0 last season
There'll never be a perfect balance

Unread 02-08-2017, 06:58 AM
wufta

There's a lot of over-thinking here.

A patent dive is obvious and everyone can see them. That's what this rule will cover: cases where there is no ambiguity whatsoever.

If there's any doubt at all; no punishment. Simple as that.

The main thing it is mitigating against is the fact that the ref at ground level can't always spot a dive during the pace of the game.

Unread 02-08-2017, 07:31 AM
denis lawless

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Well, given that a number of former pros don't actually have a clue about this, I ain't holding out much hope for a fair & just implementation.

Unread 02-08-2017, 08:11 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Tabloids probably as with most things with football
This'll be our main issue with Jamesie Redknapp et al being "shocked" and subsequently picked up by the tabs crusading for fair play, FA responding as per....

Unread 02-08-2017, 09:45 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by wufta
There's a lot of over-thinking here.

A patent dive is obvious and everyone can see them. That's what this rule will cover: cases where there is no ambiguity whatsoever.

If there's any doubt at all; no punishment. Simple as that.

The main thing it is mitigating against is the fact that the ref at ground level can't always spot a dive during the pace of the game.
I hope it is just for this the law is very clear on the 'type' of dive. Otherwise there's going to be a shitstorm of retrospective absences with everyone going 'He got a two match ban for THAT?

Unread 02-08-2017, 04:31 PM
Sparky***

Unread 02-08-2017, 04:43 PM
Harri Jaffa

That's not bad guidelines. No idea how well it would be implemented obv but not bad...

Unread 02-08-2017, 04:45 PM
MUFCOK

Its already been tried and didn't work -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/8236689.stm

Unread 02-08-2017, 05:19 PM
wufta

Seems more or less water tight to me. A lot of boxes have to be ticked. Can all stop whining now. Bunch of Lewis Hamilton's.

Unread 02-08-2017, 06:29 PM
Billy Redface

I'm kind of with him on the obsession thing.

I'm just not that arsed about it. I find it a mildly embarrassing irritation. Far less annoying than persistent fouling, teams going out with the intent of assaulting their opponents and countless infringements in the box that aren't rewarded with penalties.

Diving seems to leave people absolutely foaming at the mouth.

CHEAT!!!!

There's all kinds of cheating going on all the time. When a defender nudges a striker before they're about the strike the ball, that's 'clever'

Unread 02-08-2017, 06:53 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
I'm kind of with him on the obsession thing.

I'm just not that arsed about it. I find it a mildly embarrassing irritation. Far less annoying than persistent fouling, teams going out with the intent of assaulting their opponents and countless infringements in the box that aren't rewarded with penalties.

Diving seems to leave people absolutely foaming at the mouth.

CHEAT!!!!

There's all kinds of cheating going on all the time. When a defender nudges a striker before they're about the strike the ball, that's 'clever'
What pisses me off more than that is stuff like defenders shepherding the ball out of play when it's 5 yards from the touchline..... Players blatantly obstructing the goalkeeper and getting away with it...

But the biggest one that does my head in, is the 'cynical momentum breaking foul'. Something which teams like Barcelona have mastered over the last decade. Niggly fouls designed to stop the opposition getting up the pitch before you've got everyone back behind the ball. Chief culprits are players like Lucas at Liverpool who would routinely get away with about 10 every game, Busquets as well is another one...

Unread 02-08-2017, 07:21 PM
20 times

So if a dive leads to a free kick in the last minute and a winning goal then a player can't be banned? Good to see that the FA have thought this one through

Unread 02-08-2017, 07:29 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
What pisses me off more than that is stuff like defenders shepherding the ball out of play when it's 5 yards from the touchline..... Players blatantly obstructing the goalkeeper and getting away with it...

But the biggest one that does my head in, is the 'cynical momentum breaking foul'. Something which teams like Barcelona have mastered over the last decade. Niggly fouls designed to stop the opposition getting up the pitch before you've got everyone back behind the ball. Chief culprits are players like Lucas at Liverpool who would routinely get away with about 10 every game, Busquets as well is another one...

Yep. All of that stuff is far worse imo. A premeditated system of cheating is far worse. It's the way it's perceived too. 'Clever foul', 'taking one for the team'. It's £#%&!ing lauded as noble or unselfish.

Unread 02-08-2017, 07:32 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Yep. All of that stuff is far worse imo. A premeditated system of cheating is far worse. It's the way it's perceived too. 'Clever foul', 'taking one for the team'. It's £#%&!ing lauded as noble or unselfish.
Or Andy carroll at west ham coming on to be used specifically as a human battering ram against David De Gea, who was somehow seen as fair game because he was a new foreigner in the league...

Unread 02-08-2017, 07:41 PM
20 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky***
or andy carroll at west ham coming on to be used specifically as a human battering ram against david de gea, who was somehow seen as fair game because he was a new foreigner in the league...
PASSION mate

Unread 02-08-2017, 10:27 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Or Andy carroll at west ham coming on to be used specifically as a human battering ram against David De Gea, who was somehow seen as fair game because he was a new foreigner in the league...
"He'll have to get used to that, playing in the BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD"

etc

Unread 03-08-2017, 08:11 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:

Thought Madrid were even worse the other week. That £#%&!er, Oscar should've been off before half time. Think it was the second half before he got a yellow?

Unread 05-08-2017, 12:00 AM
dunk

Quote:
Who is in the 13-person pool?

Former players/managers:

Nigel Adkins - former Southampton and Reading boss
Rachel Brown-Finnis - former England goalkeeper and BBC Radio 5 live pundit
Terry Butcher - former England and Ipswich defender
Lee Dixon - former Arsenal and England full-back
Alex McLeish - former Aberdeen defender and ex-Scotland manager
Danny Murphy - former Liverpool and England midfielder
Chris Powell - former Charlton and Huddersfield boss
Trevor Sinclair - former West Ham United and England winger

Former match officials:

Keren Barratt
Steve Dunn
Mike Mullarkey
Alan Wiley
Eddie Wolstenhome

Unread 05-08-2017, 12:13 AM
Sparky***

Rabid Berts Dixon and Sinclair as well as Scouser Danny Murphy.

Oh yeah, brilliant.

Unread 05-08-2017, 12:16 AM
Denis Irwell

United represented in droves as per
Closed Thread