United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 22-03-2024, 09:55 AM
Hyman_Roth

Default Tragedy Chanting

Liverpool fans have reacted with typical restraint to Sunday’s mega match. As respected fans who get ‘ball’ they’ve been the first out of the blocks to congratulate us on one of the all time classic matches between these two great rivals - two of the greatest clubs in the world.

What they haven’t done is focus on some of the more unsavory aspects of the afternoon and as ever, have done everything possible not to make it about themselves or portray themselves with any sense of victimhood.

They are an example to us all.

It has to be said that they have mentioned, but only in passing, the tragedy chanting that United fans engaged with. ‘It was da hole ground lad’.

A United fan (a manc) has also been arrested for mimicking being crushed apparently.

Harmless banter, hateful banter or unacceptable?

What’s the view?

Unread 22-03-2024, 10:00 AM
Sparky***

I can’t be arsed with it tbh. It’s £#%&!ing stupid.

It’s all a bit dumb. Every time we play them they sing the “fergie’s right you’re fans are shite” song which has the predicable reply every single time. Our fans take the bait every time.

It allows them to take the moral high ground every time and try and deflect from the fact they got beat.

Unread 22-03-2024, 10:03 AM
Whip Hubley

I think it's possible to be both highly suspicious of the authorities essentially prosecuting people for singing, but also to hate it.

Can't stand folk singing about hillsborough/munich/bradford/whatever personally.

That said, having a list of what people can and can't sing at a football match is even further sanitisation of the game. Are we going to get hymn sheets next? Sing this on 25 minutes? Sing this particular song when Antony scores? (lol)

'Murderers' would be classed as tragedy chanting, but i'll admit freely I sing it. They were/are. They've never been held fully accountable for Heysel and english/british football as a whole suffered and they need to be reminded of that. There is no doubt that they were absolute @#%&!s in the 70s and 80s - yes, a lot of teams had a hooligan element but i've everything i've seen and read... there's a reason a lot of other fans hate them. They were absolute scumbags.

As a slight digression, racism is one area i'm fully on board with banning people for...

Unread 22-03-2024, 10:04 AM
est.1878

"YSB" will be arrestable by 2030 twici

Unread 22-03-2024, 10:05 AM
suedeshoes

Saw footage of the fella mimicking being crushed. Too much thought gone into that.

He's just a proper weird @#%&!. Should he be arrested for it? Don't know. Probably not. Does he deserve a kicking if he gets one? Yes.

On the whole? Hateful banter. Bit pathetic but it's contained physically and emotionally in an environment where a lot of social rules are different. If it was happening in a supermarket it would be out of order but in a football ground?

Unread 22-03-2024, 10:08 AM
atticusgrinch

Sing it, but don't move your mouth.

Get practising your ventriloquism skills.

What i want to see is 73,000 supporters giving it:

Dummy optional.

" Urdurers, urdurers"

Unread 22-03-2024, 10:08 AM
NedKelly

These days, you can’t even laugh at a tragedy without being arrested and thrown in jail.

Unread 22-03-2024, 10:10 AM
Whip Hubley

I also presume if people are getting arrested for tragedy chanting, jail sentences are incoming for jokes told about 9/11 etc.

Unread 22-03-2024, 10:13 AM
atticusgrinch

It is not all a bit hypocritical? I don't even mean the years of "who's that lying on the runway?", the actual banners they took to games etc.

Weren't they revelling in the death of the queen this very season with songs etc.?

Unread 22-03-2024, 10:15 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878 View Post
"YSB" will be arrestable by 2030 twici
It will be stamped out nqat

Unread 22-03-2024, 10:17 AM
Finport Red

Wait till they read the lyrics of ‘build a bonfire’.

Unread 22-03-2024, 10:35 AM
Hyman_Roth

One of the best chants I’ve ever heard was the home game after hillsborough and the whole of OT chanting ‘where’s your famous Munich song?’

Stunned silence from the rats.perhaps even some rare introspection on their parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes View Post
Saw footage of the fella mimicking being crushed. Too much thought gone into that.

He's just a proper weird @#%&!. Should he be arrested for it? Don't know. Probably not. Does he deserve a kicking if he gets one? Yes.

On the whole? Hateful banter. Bit pathetic but it's contained physically and emotionally in an environment where a lot of social rules are different. If it was happening in a supermarket it would be out of order but in a football ground?
Unread 22-03-2024, 10:36 AM
Medlock

I personally wouldn't sing about Hillsborough and it's not something United fans even contemplated for 20 plus years after. I remember being in the stadium when the news about the disaster filtered through. Time has taken that taboo away. But only "The Sun was right" of anything sung last week actually refers to Hillsborough and probably partly out of convenience because the words fit. The "never your fault" was sung after the Suarez incidence and "murderers" refers to Heysel (as evidence Everton started singing "murderers" after we did and they have been 100% behind the Hillsborough campaigns).

Unread 22-03-2024, 10:39 AM
pc6090

They need to stop this whole sanitation of football. It’s a working class sport for working class people. What happened to the phrase stick and stones? Anyone affected by tragedy chanting should just £#%&! off

Ps. Utd fans generally used to steer clear of anything to do with Hillsborough. Most outsiders (inc scousers) seem to think anything related to murder or tragedy is about hillsborough when it’s actually about heysel

Unread 22-03-2024, 10:50 AM
RedNick80

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc6090 View Post
They need to stop this whole sanitation of football. It’s a working class sport for working class people. What happened to the phrase stick and stones? Anyone affected by tragedy chanting should just £#%&! off
I think that in a civilised society it's fair to think that tragedy chanting is a bit off, regardless of class - unless you are saying that the working class have smaller brains.

If you sing about Hillsborough then you have to be a bit of an oddball. That bloke in the crowd - would you not be a bit embarrassed if you were his family or a friend?

Heysel, fine, agreed as it is not aimed at the victims, but the perpetrators.

In summary I don't think that a critique on the gentrification of football should use as one of its arguments 'don't mind tragedy chanting'.

Unread 22-03-2024, 11:00 AM
pc6090

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80 View Post
I think that in a civilised society it's fair to think that tragedy chanting is a bit off, regardless of class - unless you are saying that the working class have smaller brains.

If you sing about Hillsborough then you have to be a bit of an oddball. That bloke in the crowd - would you not be a bit embarrassed if you were his family or a friend?

Heysel, fine, agreed as it is not aimed at the victims, but the perpetrators.

In summary I don't think that a critique on the gentrification of football should use as one of its arguments 'don't mind tragedy chanting'.
Yes that bloke I saw on twitter was a dick. I agree with you on that one.

As for the other points, do we live in a civilised society? I’d argue against this based upon the class divisions that are growing in this country.

Where do we draw the line. Should swearing be banned (forest tried this - how did this work out)

Or de we live in a society that allows freedom of speech and expression

I’m not saying I’m right and you’re wrong. It’s just a different point of view

Unread 22-03-2024, 11:06 AM
est.1878

press the red button now to opt in for tragedy chant muting.

Unread 22-03-2024, 11:06 AM
pc6090

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878 View Post
press the red button now to opt in for tragedy chant muting.
😀

Unread 22-03-2024, 11:12 AM
Zorg

Their massive victim complex is so well-known it's not just us who hates it, I know fans of other clubs who hate them too.
They were never held accountable for Heysel, it was all everyone else's fault. Maybe the Juventus fans should have a chance to show how they f-

Oh that's right, they did

Even with Michael Shields, it was beyond doubt the culprit was a Liverpool fan, so did they make sure the poor victim was ok, apologise, have a whip round, maybe invite him to Anfield? No - it was all about the poor little scouser being picked on.

Same with Suarez. T-shirts for a racist ffs For some reason, they can't handle the thought of anyone associated with them ever doing anything wrong and have this desperate need to be Moral Champions of the Universe. The neediest fans in world football.

That said, we should simply steer clear of the murderers chant altogether. Yes, it's mistakenly assumed to be about Hillsborough but I'm sick of hearing this stuff every single time we play them. As for actual miming people dying... that's just £#%&!ed up. It's not 'sanitised' to expect better than that.

Unread 22-03-2024, 11:21 AM
Big Norm

Always had an issue with The Sun Was Right chant for a couple of reasons.

Firstly The Sun didn't actaully accuse them of murdering their own fans at Hillsborough, just robbing and pissing on the dead bodies.

Secondly The Sun was never right about anything.

Have no problem with Always the Victims as this has nothing to do with Hillsborough and never has. It's about how they behaved after Heysel, Michael Shields, Luis Suarez etc.