United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-09-2014, 04:53 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonred
Ronaldo was better than George. Bestie had trickery and that was his strength. Ronaldo has trickery too, but so much more.
Disagree

Best played in an era when defenders were allowed to kick £#%&! out of him, and he was still a genius

Ronaldo, as good as he is, is offered much greater protection.

Unread 18-09-2014, 04:56 PM
ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Disagree

Best played in an era when defenders were allowed to kick £#%&! out of him, and he was still a genius

As Paddy Crerand always reminds us.... "Football´s all about opinions"

Unread 18-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Nani

Scholes my favourite.
Giggs the greatest.
Ronnie the best.

Can't have an honest opinion on those before 1991.

Unread 18-09-2014, 05:05 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Saw my first game in 1967

George is the best I have seen

Only player that comes close is Ronaldo

Favourite player is denis
My first game was 1982.

My old fella's first game was 1962 or something, always said Best was incredible in 1 game then went missing (not literally, that was later) for 4 games - claimed Law and Charlton were more important to that team.

Personally, I think Eric is the best because he changed everything - there was United before Cantona and after Cantona.

Unread 18-09-2014, 05:09 PM
puressence

schmeichals not even been the best keeper weve had ............. .. my first ever hero norman loved robson for carrying the team hughes ince giggs noteable mentions for remi ince irwin absolutely loved ruud and jaap eric was just eric he was the fan in the team and turned the team from good to exceptional and taught the players how to win him being at utd was just right the player the attitude the skills he was just amazing ole loved above everyone bar one and feel privilaged to say watching his whole career has been an absolute joy and pleasure ...paul scholes i £#%&!ing love you hes the best utd player for me ever .....

Unread 18-09-2014, 05:10 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
My first game was 1982.

My old fella's first game was 1962 or something, always said Best was incredible in 1 game then went missing (not literally, that was later) for 4 games - claimed Law and Charlton were more important to that team.

Personally, I think Eric is the best because he changed everything - there was United before Cantona and after Cantona.
Fair point....but the one game best turned it on was worth ten of most other players

Agree re Eric.......and fully understand why reds who started going during that era idolise him

Unread 18-09-2014, 05:12 PM
ryanMUFC

Probably: Duncan Edwards/Phil Jones.
Imo: Cristiano dos santos aveiro Ronaldo

Unread 18-09-2014, 05:13 PM
ashtonred

Quote:
Fair point....but the one game best turned it on was worth ten of most other players

Agree re Eric.......and fully understand why reds who started going during that era idolise him
To this day, I can´t remember an ex player whose name was chanted at games more than Erics.

Unread 18-09-2014, 05:13 PM
andyroo

Quote:

I'd say the same for Ronaldo as well. Imagine you'd never seen Eric or were too young to appreciate him, or don't remember what we were like before him... then you'll see why the younger lads are so dedicated to Ronaldo. Can't really blame them, he's £#%&!ing ace.

Unread 18-09-2014, 05:17 PM
Aman27deep

Paul Scholes. World's greatest midfielder of the past 25 years as well.

Unread 18-09-2014, 05:22 PM
ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman27deep
And even as an asthma sufferer he made his game look so easy. Unbelievable

Unread 18-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Tumescent Throb

best sat banks on his arse with a swivel of his hips and rolled it past him ffs. ronaldo could never do that. I wouldn't put ronaldo's passing alongside someone like scholes either. as an overall package ronaldo was/is sensational, but it's not as beautiful as watching eric play either - there's no dark side for starters.

to me the greatest asset that separates the greats is spacial awareness and timing - if you can trickle the ball so that one desperate defender runs past it and the second one can't reach it then that is a sign of true understanding of the movement and possibilities within the boundaries of the pitch... i think it's a similar thing in all ball sports that separates the greats out. 'anyone' can @#%&! ball and catch the sweet spot now and again, even a lot of us no doubt...

saying all that, one of great moments watching United was being there to see Robson clean through at Wimbledon in 93 - now that is a true legend and the reverence everyone there felt that day says everything. I've been going since the mid 70s, so I'd have to say Robson.

Unread 18-09-2014, 05:25 PM
sudored

Quote:
Saw my first game in 1967

George is the best I have seen

Only player that comes close is Ronaldo

Favourite player is denis
£#%&!ing loved Irwin as well

Unread 18-09-2014, 05:31 PM
believe

Banks was probably shit in comparison to modern day keepers too.

New football > old football.

Unread 18-09-2014, 05:37 PM
ryanMUFC

It's pointless arguing who's the best but nowadays you would have to take athleticism into account because the games evolved. I'm guessing George Best never had the pace or strength of Ronaldo nor the goal scoring records. If it wasn't for the moaning and sulking plus occasional diving, a lot more people would openly admit that they've seen one of if not the greatest players in the world in a red shirt.

Unread 18-09-2014, 05:47 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
It's pointless arguing who's the best but nowadays you would have to take athleticism into account because the games evolved. I'm guessing George Best never had the pace or strength of Ronaldo nor the goal scoring records. If it wasn't for the moaning and sulking plus occasional diving, a lot more people would openly admit that they've seen one of if not the greatest players in the world in a red shirt.
And the £#%&!ing off to Madrid bit. It rankles. It shouldn't, but it does.

Unread 18-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Disagree

Valid, but not sure how it matters.

If Ronnie had grown up playing in those conditions then you have to think he'd have adapted just fine.

Unread 18-09-2014, 05:52 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman27deep
He wasn't even United's best midfielder. Next.

Unread 18-09-2014, 05:53 PM
ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
And the £#%&!ing off to Madrid bit. It rankles. It shouldn't, but it does.
And the Glazers wanted their 80 million too.

Turns out to be an absolute snip for Madrid.

Unread 18-09-2014, 05:54 PM
DakotaFredsBigShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
For me, it's got to be between Best, Ronaldo and Schmeichel.

Best - clue is in his name

Ronaldo - one of the world's best in any position for many years of his career

Schmeichel - the Great Dane was the best in his position for years while he played for us and we saw the impact when he left

Honourable mentions for Robbo, Eric and Giggsy.

Best is subjective. You need to clarify what "best" means.

Most appearances ? Most goals? Nicest guy? In touch with fans? Most accomplished technique ? Etc
Closed Thread