United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-10-2016, 06:40 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...chester-united

"You're going to Anfield and you've got to respect that fact. Going long is one way, but I don't think any United fan on Monday night is expecting style or fashion"

Shameful.
Can't rely on LvG to steer us to victory this year pal

Unread 16-10-2016, 06:46 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Err, yes he does, both in the quote I posted and the rest of the article.

"Forget style on Monday. I don't think any United fan, me included, are going there wanting United to go out there and think 'let's dominate possession today'. I want them to cope with the first 60 minutes and find a way of dealing with that."

Yes Gary, let's turn up conceding superiority to them and taking a step backwards before a ball has been kicked, park the bus and hope to nick a goal late on when they're tired

Weak as piss.
So you want us to dominate possession? Good luck with that

Unread 16-10-2016, 07:16 PM
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
So you want us to dominate possession? Good luck with that
I'm not overly arsed about possession specifically (although the vermin have only just edged the possession over all of their games so far this season), but Neville's mindset of surviving for the first hour and hoping to score after that is absolutely cringe.
They're not Pep's Barcelona. Imagine signing the world's most expensive player and setting up to defend for an hour against adam lallana and jordan henderson

Unread 16-10-2016, 08:02 PM
andyroo

Quote:
I'm not overly arsed about possession specifically (although the vermin have only just edged the possession over all of their games so far this season), but Neville's mindset of surviving for the first hour and hoping to score after that is absolutely cringe.
They're not Pep's Barcelona. Imagine signing the world's most expensive player and setting up to defend for an hour against adam lallana and jordan henderson
Imagine signing a manager known for his defensive mindset and expecting to play like Ajax 1974

In any case Gary Neville works for Sky Sports and I was unaware the team tactical set-up was his responsibility.

Unread 16-10-2016, 08:10 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
A night game at Anfield against a Liverpool team full of confidence and bang in form? Of course Neville has a point. Liverpool are going to come at United like a bull at a gate - the idea is that you keep your head early doors, don't give away a silly early goal and then take advantage when their intensity drops, probably after the hour mark.

United have shown me nothing this season to suggest they can go out there and out-football a very energetic, aggressive Liverpool side.

Whether people are offended by the idea or not, you're going to have to get used to the idea that United are going to be on the back foot for the vast majority of the game tomorrow.

Unread 16-10-2016, 08:13 PM
TheFatGoth

State of these @#%&!s

Unread 16-10-2016, 08:29 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Imagine signing a manager known for his defensive mindset and expecting to play like Ajax 1974

In any case Gary Neville works for Sky Sports and I was unaware the team tactical set-up was his responsibility.
Well, given that Cruyff had gone and they were on their way down by then......

Unread 16-10-2016, 08:47 PM
woody78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
A night game at Anfield against a Liverpool team full of confidence and bang in form? Of course Neville has a point. Liverpool are going to come at United like a bull at a gate - the idea is that you keep your head early doors, don't give away a silly early goal and then take advantage when their intensity drops, probably after the hour mark.

United have shown me nothing this season to suggest they can go out there and out-football a very energetic, aggressive Liverpool side.

Whether people are offended by the idea or not, you're going to have to get used to the idea that United are going to be on the back foot for the vast majority of the game tomorrow.
Pretty much.

It's the same every time we play Anfield apart from 2 seasons ago.

Even when we were winning everything under fergie we didn't go there very often and dominate.

A draw would be a decent result tomorrow imo

Unread 16-10-2016, 10:24 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Err, yes he does, both in the quote I posted and the rest of the article.

"Forget style on Monday. I don't think any United fan, me included, are going there wanting United to go out there and think 'let's dominate possession today'. I want them to cope with the first 60 minutes and find a way of dealing with that."

Yes Gary, let's turn up conceding superiority to them and taking a step backwards before a ball has been kicked, park the bus and hope to nick a goal late on when they're tired

Weak as piss.
he's not ruling out dominating the game, he's just saying no united fan will moan at the end if we've won regardless how the game pans out.

he's probably wrong - there will still be clueless a******s who would still moan.

Unread 17-10-2016, 01:18 AM
Alan

Quote:

So was I. Is he manager for the game now?

Quote:

Well I'm absolutely flabbergasted that you of all people has shit his pants full on before a ball has been kicked. What an enormous shock

Unread 17-10-2016, 09:33 AM
92ToBury

Quote:

That's a hangover from his days at Valencia tbf.

Unread 17-10-2016, 09:45 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:

Well I'm absolutely flabbergasted that you of all people has shit his pants full on before a ball has been kicked. What an enormous shock
Just setting himself up for the worst - reverse curse etc

Unread 17-10-2016, 11:16 AM
dunk

Long ball into Zlat/Pogba, turning the @#%&!s round and rendering their press redundant might be the way forward.

Unread 17-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Sparky***

Quote:

So rather than engage with the points i've made and acknowledge that they are actually quite sound, you're just going to shout "shitty pants"?

Unread 17-10-2016, 12:15 PM
Baron

Get ahead by all means necessary - set piece, OG, 35 yarder... whatever & then you play the counter attack, think of Real Madrid annihilating Bayern a few years back in the CL semi.

Going a goal down is the bigger concern.

If we start with Mata, Fellaini & Rooney for example, you're slowing that side down horrendously. Too many touches, too little courage to pass it forward to break the press. Not bullish enough to go forward at the appropriate time. In Rooney's case that's a sad indictment of where his game is.

Carrick should be in there, but he's shown to fail badly against extremely aggressive pressing. Maybe that was because he only had Park or Fletcher to pass to... but still, I'd rather see him in the middle of the park with Herrera & Pogba either side, then Rashford & Martial either side of Zlatan up top.

4-3-3 ffs.

Unread 17-10-2016, 02:40 PM
Alan

Quote:
So rather than engage with the points i've made and acknowledge that they are actually quite sound, you're just going to shout "shitty pants"?
I don't think your points are sound, I think they're typically pessimistic.

Unread 17-10-2016, 02:41 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
I don't think your points are sound, I think they're typically pessimistic.
Realistic mate. Realistic.

Watch how the game pans out. 99% sure i'll be correct.

Unread 17-10-2016, 09:59 PM
Dasilvatwins

I believe jose just provided the answer to this thread

Unread 17-10-2016, 10:00 PM
Alan

Quote:
Realistic mate. Realistic.

Watch how the game pans out. 99% sure i'll be correct.
Better luck next time.

Unread 17-10-2016, 10:21 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

Quote:
Better luck next time.
Where was I wrong exactly?

United had 34% of the ball.
Closed Thread