Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Where would he have played?

I've heard people, people on here, say Ruud slowed that team down

Unread 12-10-2016, 01:00 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolkred
He was one of the best players in the world at the time. Just didn't fit into our team and couldn't adapt to the Premier League. Isn't the first, won't be the last.

Remember Fergie calling the media '£#%&!ing idiots' when they questioned his form during a press conference and maintained Seba was a '£#%&!ing great player'.
I thought his playing style looked slow and he seemed to like a lot of time on the ball. Not doubting the ability he had, I just couldn't see him dominating the premier league. A pacier player would have made more sense to me given we already had Keane and Scholes in the middle.

Unread 12-10-2016, 01:16 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I thought his playing style looked slow and he seemed to like a lot of time on the ball. Not doubting the ability he had, I just couldn't see him dominating the premier league. A pacier player would have made more sense to me given we already had Keane and Scholes in the middle.
Not entirely sure Fergie managed him that well either, both on and off the pitch. Was strange reading in Fergie's book that Veron was a nice guy but quite isolated in the dressing room and didn't communicate much with anybody, let alone the manager. I think these days English clubs are more ready for that and make the adaptation smoother. Plus we'd have far more latin players now.

Shame, as maybe just five years later things would have been different. Veron is probably in the top five most naturally gifted players Fergie managed, but overall it was a bit of a disaster barring the European games.

Unread 12-10-2016, 02:00 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones
No you haven't.

Unread 12-10-2016, 02:11 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones
I heard that too

Unread 12-10-2016, 03:33 PM
red in cumbria

Said it before, but one of my favourite ever non-United players. What could have been.......

Czechs would have won Euro 2004 if he hadn't got injured, too

Unread 12-10-2016, 04:00 PM
suffolkred

Nedved, Prosinecki, Boban - any of the three would've been welcome additions from Eastern Europe.

1. Boban
2. Nedved
3. Prosniecki

In that order.

Unread 12-10-2016, 04:02 PM
Neo

Quote:
Nedved, Prosinecki, Boban - any of the three would've been welcome additions from Eastern Europe.

1. Boban
2. Nedved
3. Prosniecki

In that order.
Savićević, tbf.

Unread 12-10-2016, 04:07 PM
suffolkred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Savićević, tbf.
That Milan team has joined in 1992 was incredible. Probably the best club side on paper of all time just a shame they didn't add to European Cup to their Serie A title that year.

Rossi, Baresi, Costacurta, Maldini, Boban, Gullit, Rijkarard, Lentini, Van Basten, Papin, Simone,

Don't make them like that anymore.

Unread 12-10-2016, 04:30 PM
andyroo

Not since Costacurta retired to run a supermarket on Tyneside.

Unread 12-10-2016, 06:37 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
As much as I loved Veron, we should have bought big Pavel that summer. Immense player.
Still remember the day the news broke on Sky

They were showing footage of him walking through the streets (of Rome?) with a load of photographers chasing him...... was giddy as £#%&!!

Veron at United!

Wish it had worked out better for him

Unread 12-10-2016, 08:34 PM
TheFatGoth

Seems ages since we've played Juventus.

Felt like we used to play them every year at one stage. Some classic games.

Unread 12-10-2016, 10:44 PM
Clarkie

Quote:

1. Boban
2. Nedved
3. Prosniecki

In that order.
Great to see Boban get mentioned and the credit he deserves

Unread 12-10-2016, 10:52 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Said it before, but one of my favourite ever non-United players. What could have been.......

Czechs would have won Euro 2004 if he hadn't got injured, too
He was a one man show when they played Holland at Euro 2000. Incredible performance and seemed to pop up everywhere.

Unread 12-10-2016, 11:28 PM
zanzare

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Seems ages since we've played Juventus.

Felt like we used to play them every year at one stage. Some classic games.
Love trying to discuss '99 with juventini here. Memory lapse is of MIB scale. Not one has recall to that night
A lot of the younger ones don't have our, or even the older fans (italian) hatred of the dippers. It seems the history has not been passed on, very sad to see, but most juventus fans have never seen them live, just on TV or at the odd regional team when a ticket was available, but the division is 50/50. Love or hatred, right through the country.
Bit like us really.

Unread 13-10-2016, 08:16 AM
suffolkred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Great to see Boban get mentioned and the credit he deserves

An unbelievable player, great vision, loved to put a foot in and a hard b*stard to boot.

Would've been perfect for United although, let's be honest, our midfield during the 90s wasn't too bad itself...

Unread 13-10-2016, 09:04 AM
taff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Savićević, tbf.

Unread 13-10-2016, 09:10 AM
Pop

Does he still sport those dreamy blonde flowing locks?

I daren't google in case he's gone a bit Bobby Charlton in his middle age

Unread 13-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Denis Irwell

Thanks Pavvers.

Don't know what's worse, this or Claudia Schiffer telling me she was mad about me and wishes she could've had the pleasure of my rampant desires

Unread 13-10-2016, 02:03 PM
Neo

Fergie wouldn't have even bidded for him anyway. Too busy buying shit@#%&!s like Bellion and Liam Miller.

No wonder we never really dominated Europe. Two Champions Leagues in about 25 years - £#%&!ing piss poor return.
Closed Thread