United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-12-2017, 04:25 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
We constantly reference the money City spent in the summer but most weeks they are starting 9 of the team that was 15 points off a fairly uninspiring Chelsea last year and finished behind bloody Spurs. Ederson and Walker are the only 2 of their signings who are making any kind of impact.

The Utd squad is at worst the 3rd best in the league, and has an argument over Chelsea. Maybe that just says something about the standard of the league.
Truth.

Couldn’t pay me to watch 90% of Prem games tbh.

Unread 24-12-2017, 04:27 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Truth.

Just finished watching the Ajax game....

Came back from 1-0 down....

Like a different game, a different sport, fast attacking wing play, desire and effort to not only equalise, to utterly crush the opposition..

3-1, kluivert screamer..

Unread 24-12-2017, 04:29 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Truth.

That Liverpool-Arsenal game was pathetic in so many ways. The amount of money thrown at this league in the last 4-5 years and the standard is just abysmal. Where are the strong characters, the leaders, seems to be an entire generation of narcissistic, insubstantial children in the sport.

Unread 24-12-2017, 04:34 PM
Buck

Quote:
That Liverpool-Arsenal game was pathetic in so many ways. The amount of money thrown at this league in the last 4-5 years and the standard is just abysmal. Where are the strong characters, the leaders, seems to be an entire generation of narcissistic, insubstantial children in the sport.
Utd fans cry that we lack leaders

Arsenal fans cry they lack leaders

Liverpool fans cry they lack leaders

Etc

The academy molly-coddled environment has made a generation of beige. And The strong characters of the modern game are not talented enough.

Unread 24-12-2017, 04:36 PM
utd99

Quote:
Highly paid performers, whether it be in sport or entertainment, are at the front edge of the @#%&!fication of society mate. All these @#%&!s give a £#%&! about are social media and their feelings.

I blame the parents.

Unread 24-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Utd fans cry that we lack leaders

Arsenal fans cry they lack leaders

Liverpool fans cry they lack leaders

Etc

The academy molly-coddled environment has made a generation of beige. And The strong characters of the modern game are not talented enough.
And the concept of "Toxic Masculinity"

Unread 24-12-2017, 04:48 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Just finished watching the Ajax game....

Came back from 1-0 down....

Like a different game, a different sport, fast attacking wing play, desire and effort to not only equalise, to utterly crush the opposition..

3-1, kluivert screamer..
Sorry I missed that.

Justin is headed to the top isn’t he. Badly needed for the Dutchies.

Unread 24-12-2017, 04:50 PM
sub three hours

Quote:
We constantly reference the money City spent in the summer but most weeks they are starting 9 of the team that was 15 points off a fairly uninspiring Chelsea last year and finished behind bloody Spurs. Ederson and Walker are the only 2 of their signings who are making any kind of impact.

Good point, Guardiola has clearly fixed things at the Berts. I hate to admit it but he has clearly drummed his way into those players and it looks like it's starting to pay off.

That said, it’s not worked for all of last years Bert squad, sure many have progressed, but if you look at it carefully there are a lot of their players from last years who have been cut adrift.

Unread 24-12-2017, 04:52 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Yep. Not even manifested in aggression, but maturity in decision making and taking responsibility on the ball. Watching Iniesta, Busquets and Rakitic playing piggy in the middle with the Real Madrid players yesterday lunchtime was a nice escape from the encouraged chaotic incompetence of the Premier League.

Unread 24-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours

Good point, Guardiola has clearly fixed things at the Berts. I hate to admit it but he has clearly drummed his way into those players and it looks like it's starting to pay off.

That said, it’s not worked for all of last years Bert squad, sure many have progressed, but if you look at it carefully there are a lot of their players from last years who have been cut adrift.
Stones, Sane, Sterling, Jesus have all either improved or developed a greater level of chemistry together. You could debate if Martial and Rashford have the same level of talent and if they can make the same leap. I think(or hope) yes but it looks as if City will benefit from investing money and time in top level youth.

They did dump a lot of players, the benefit of wasting money not really being an issue. Had to look up who they sold Iheanacho to btw.

A few injuries in attack could, well not derail their season, but take them out of contention for the CL. Lack some depth in that area.

Unread 24-12-2017, 05:42 PM
utd99

Quote:
Stones, Sane, Sterling, Jesus have all either improved or developed a greater level of chemistry together. You could debate if Martial and Rashford have the same level of talent and if they can make the same leap. I think(or hope) yes but it looks as if City will benefit from investing money and time in top level youth.

They did dump a lot of players, the benefit of wasting money not really being an issue. Had to look up who they sold Iheanacho to btw.

A few injuries in attack could, well not derail their season, but take them out of contention for the CL. Lack some depth in that area.
Silva and De Bruyne make those fringe players better. Who do we have? Pogba?
Proper competition for number nine doesn’t hurt either. Strengthening full back and goalkeeper helped make them an all round team.

They have what we used to have, a core of top players surrounded by a competant support cast. Our support cast is expected to win us matches and trophies, because it’s all we have.

Unread 24-12-2017, 05:52 PM
sub three hours

Quote:

Agreed. In all honesty i'd say he's improved Silva, Fernandinho, Stones, Sane and Sterling maybe even De Bruyne.

But he's phased out some big names. Off the top of my head i can think of Hart, Bravo, Toure and Mangala, all sitting on big contracts too.

Iheanacho's at Leicester but he doesn't seem to be catching the team.

Unread 24-12-2017, 06:04 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Blind, Fellaini, Young (despite playing well enough recently), Smalling, Darmian and Blind all have to go. What's most important is who replaces them.
So shit you named him twice

Unread 24-12-2017, 06:08 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

The Utd squad is at worst the 3rd best in the league, and has an argument over Chelsea. Maybe that just says something about the standard of the league.
The problems go back beyond Mourinho, Van Gaal and Moyes. The problems started when City began recruiting a certain calibre of player and United dragged their heels under post 2009 Ferguson. That phil jones song the berts sing, whilst being £#%&!ing shit, has a £#%&!ing point. Between 2010 and 2011 they signed David Silva, Aguero and Toure. Two of whom are still their key match winners now. In that same period we bought Chris Smalling, Bebe, Phil Jones, Chicharito, Ashley Young and brought Paul Scholes out of retirement.

City's squad needed just a bit of pruning because the first team was still built with a core of top class players. They didn't mess about getting rid of the shite like Joe Hart, Kolarov, Zabaleta, Demichelis, Clichy etc who were all holding them back either.

Our squad on the other hand needed more than just pruning. It needed pulling up and re-planting. We were lumbered with so much over-priced shit that the previous manager had stock piled that it was never going to be feasible to replace them in a couple of windows.

How many Van Gaal signings are left as first team starters out of the 11 he signed in his two years here? None started the game yesterday. The majority of the players out there yesterday were signed by Alex Ferguson, the guy who retired 5 years ago. The likes of Smalling and Jones weren't good enough when he was in charge and they're not good enough now, but we're still having to rely on them. Crazy.

Unread 24-12-2017, 06:15 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Silva and De Bruyne make those fringe players better. Who do we have? Pogba?
Proper competition for number nine doesn’t hurt either. Strengthening full back and goalkeeper helped make them an all round team.

They have what we used to have, a core of top players surrounded by a competant support cast. Our support cast is expected to win us matches and trophies, because it’s all we have.
Wish we had a reset button, could go back to the summer of 2013, make a better choice than Moyes . Nauseating how much money has been wasted since then, instant fixes, chasing the wrong personalities, panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours
Agreed. In all honesty i'd say he's improved Silva, Fernandinho, Stones, Sane and Sterling maybe even De Bruyne.

But he's phased out some big names. Off the top of my head i can think of Hart, Bravo, Toure and Mangala, all sitting on big contracts too.

Iheanacho's at Leicester but he doesn't seem to be catching the team.
Toure should have been phased out years ago, he was their Rooney equivalent of his last few years at Utd, a huge ego who still thought he was the heart of the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
The problems go back beyond Mourinho, Van Gaal and Moyes. The problems started when City began recruiting a certain calibre of player and United dragged their heels under post 2009 Ferguson. That phil jones song the berts sing, whilst being f***ing shit, has a f***ing point. Between 2010 and 2011 they signed David Silva, Aguero and Toure. Two of whom are still their key match winners now. In that same period we bought Chris Smalling, Bebe, Phil Jones, Chicharito, Ashley Young and brought Paul Scholes out of retirement.

City's squad needed just a bit of pruning because the first team was still built with a core of top class players. They didn't mess about getting rid of the shite like Joe Hart, Kolarov, Zabaleta, Demichelis, Clichy etc who were all holding them back either.

Our squad on the other hand needed more than just pruning. It needed pulling up and re-planting. We were lumbered with so much over-priced shit that the previous manager had stock piled that it was never going to be feasible to replace them in a couple of windows.

How many Van Gaal signings are left as first team starters out of the 11 he signed in his two years here? None started the game yesterday. The majority of the players out there yesterday were signed by Alex Ferguson, the guy who retired 5 years ago. The likes of Smalling and Jones weren't good enough when he was in charge and they're not good enough now, but we're still having to rely on them. Crazy.
I disagree with you about Phil Jones, as good as any CB in the league when fit. LVG's transfer strategy though, agree completely, flawed from the start. Di Maria failing was a major problem, should have been a key part while Martial and Rashford were developing, as Silva and De Bruyne have been for the youngsters at City. Mata as well, decent little player but Utd needed him to be on the level of Silva/Coutinho etc and he is just not that guy.

You look at the attacking players at City or even Liverpool and you see a synergy between them, styles that fit together. Not that way at Utd, we have plenty of raw talent but very few players who compliment each other.

Unread 24-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Kangared

Quote:

Not this standard of the league stuff again . We have 5 teams into the 2nd stage of the CL, 4 as group winners . The league is the toughest in the World,. Agree with rest of post, I would say Chelsea definitely have the better squad .

Unread 24-12-2017, 09:54 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangared
Not this standard of the league stuff again . We have 5 teams into the 2nd stage of the CL, 4 as group winners . The league is the toughest in the World,. Agree with rest of post, I would say Chelsea definitely have the better squad .
The standard of football around Europe is shite as well. Burnley were in the top 4 recently, 16 goals all season with a team of non-entities.

Chelsea are starting guys like Alonso, Moses, Cahill, Zappacosta, Christiansen. Their back up striker is a donkey like Batshuayi. Pedro has his moments but is nowhere near the player he was at Barca, Fabregas is in decline. Like Utd with Pogba they are super reliant on Hazard.

Unread 24-12-2017, 10:06 PM
Kangared

Quote:
The standard of football around Europe is shite as well. Burnley were in the top 4 recently, 16 goals all season with a team of non-entities.

Chelsea are starting guys like Alonso, Moses, Cahill, Zappacosta, Christiansen. Their back up striker is a donkey like Batshuayi. Pedro has his moments but is nowhere near the player he was at Barca, Fabregas is in decline. Like Utd with Pogba they are super reliant on Hazard.
Football is getting faster & the coaching getting more technical. The standard isn't dropping, its just getting harder to break teams down . £#%&! me look at some of the players we have had in prem winning teams

When you can have Willian as basically a 3rd choice you have depth. I'd take Alonso over any LB/wingback other than Mendy at City. They also have Kante compared to our Herrera

Unread 25-12-2017, 08:26 PM
Jethro

His instagram post Think it's safe to say he hates it up here

Unread 25-12-2017, 08:32 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
His instagram post Think it's safe to say he hates it up here

"manchester is my heaven"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdIm-Argi7O/?hl=en

1st comment (its not pure for a change)

"hassaan_ahmad10I hope you'll be sacked by the end of the year ❤"