United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-08-2016, 06:46 PM
plopborsky

Default Why is Cantona loved so much more compared to Rooney?

Now I have my own personal views on this one but looking at rooney being the all time leading goal scorer for the club he is not even in the same league as Cantona with regards to his status with the supporters.

Eric only scored 82 goals at the club, rooney 3 times as much yet folk still feel like rooney is not in the same bracket.

Watching the video I forgot just how many pens and headers Eric scored

Unread 19-08-2016, 06:48 PM
red in cumbria

Well, one reason might be that he got out whilst the going was good? The first tentative signs of decline were enough for him.

Unread 19-08-2016, 06:50 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Well, one reason might be that he got out whilst the going was good? The first tentative signs of decline were enough for him.
I see what you mean ricers but even at double the amount of goals rooney was still at the top of his game but it was never the same as the love Eric received.

Unread 19-08-2016, 06:51 PM
Billy Redface

Unread 19-08-2016, 06:55 PM
Fergie out 89

I'm not a Rooney hater but I am sure Eric never held the club to ransom, twice...

Unread 19-08-2016, 06:55 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
sorry pal here is the all rooney goals link

Unread 19-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopborsky
sorry pal here is the all rooney goals link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UU5S-wk1RQ

I'm very familiar with Wayne Rooney, but thanks.

Pfft, call yourself 33

plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie out 89
I'm not a Rooney hater but I am sure Eric never held the club to ransom, twice...
Ronaldo was snide when he left is still loved more than rooney

Switching Off

Cantona didn't hand in two transfer requests.

Tbf Cantona was dreamy. Look at Rooney

Billy Redface

Ignoring all else.....charisma.

Unread 19-08-2016, 07:00 PM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie out 89
Exactly this

Unread 19-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Pop

Eric wasn't a £#%&!ing scouse @#%&! for starters.

Unread 19-08-2016, 07:03 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Ignoring all else.....charisma.
looking at eric's goals he had this amazing way of scoring at key times in games that we had to win. Hero like effort when we needed it.

I remember Newcastle away when he scored we won one nil but its that sort of timing that I think propelled Eric

Unread 19-08-2016, 07:07 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
looking at eric's goals he had this amazing way of scoring at key times in games that we had to win. Hero like effort when we needed it.

I remember Newcastle away when he scored we won one nil but its that sort of timing that I think propelled Eric
Cantona is the most charismatic and entertaining footballer I've ever seen play for United.

They're completely different. Different era, different context, different temperament, attributes - everything.

Cantona is the most important player we've ever signed.

Unread 19-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Tiberian

It is a generational thing as well, key to the first title of the modern day Utd. Many of us on here will be in the late 20's to late 30's bracket, in our early football years Utd were always trailing Liverpool, that 93-95 group has a special place in our history even if other teams have surpassed them.

Rooney has been a great player for Utd, time and perspective will be kind to him.

Unread 19-08-2016, 07:17 PM
Child of Darkness

Cantona was revolutionary . He changed us. He was utterly unique and Iconoclastic. He inspired us to be better and influenced The whole club players management fans media the lot . I £#%&!ing loved him as a man as a player and as a winner . I loved his politics and his £#%&! u attitude to the world .

Rooney is a very very good footballer . That's it .

Unread 19-08-2016, 07:19 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Cantona is the most charismatic and entertaining footballer I've ever seen play for United.

They're completely different. Different era, different context, different temperament, attributes - everything.

Cantona is the most important player we've ever signed.
that's the bit I would say is very interesting, eric does not even make the top 20 for goals scored for united. Saying he is the most important just because of the way he made you feel is different to the volume of goals which is direct impact to the team on the pitch.

btw not saying you are wrong here

Unread 19-08-2016, 07:21 PM
dunk

Eric and Ronaldo were, probably are, much better players.

Unread 19-08-2016, 07:27 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
that's the bit I would say is very interesting, eric does not even make the top 20 for goals scored for united. Saying he is the most important just because of the way he made you feel is different to the volume of goals which is direct impact to the team on the pitch.

It's a reflection of how important he is.

He was here for five years. He played just two full seasons for the club. TWO!

Nani and were here longer. Fellaini into his fourth season here

The goals return and longevity doesn't even begin to underline how important he was. The stats can't tell that story. He was the catalyst to take the team from 'nearly' to 'done it'. He brought flair and style to a side desperately bereft. After that, he was the senior figure for the class of 92 and, I'm my humble opinion ofcourse, was the catalyst for our 90s success*

He was a reflection of what we were in that time too: Big game player, stylish, intelligent and fierce.

And he was as £#%&!.

*in a player sense ofcourse.

Unread 19-08-2016, 07:29 PM
Tiberian

Quote:

Technically superior to Rooney as well though.

I do think it is quite difficult to rate Eric on the all time Utd list, mostly because when he was at his peak the PL was still quite a poor league and it was just before Utd started to make significant strides in Europe.
Closed Thread