United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 22-02-2018, 08:48 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
This. The amount of times Sir Mother£#%&!a shut up shop for a 0-0 away in europe are manifold. Or nick an early goal and haul everybody and invite pressure. According to every media source and social media goon, it never happened though.
Then there's Ian Wright saying he would be "disgusted" if he was a United fan. Well you're not Ian, you £#%&!ing gobshite, you're an Arsenal fan and they're playing some jumped up 4th divisioners from Sweden.
And there's even an "I preferred it under van gaal brigade"; he never even managed to reach a knock out tie in this competition for us. Talk about £#%&!ing revisionist. £#%&! me.
What a load of shit.

Unread 22-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Lodestar

Quote:
This. The amount of times Sir Motherf***a shut up shop for a 0-0 away in europe are manifold. Or nick an early goal and haul everybody and invite pressure. According to every media source and social media goon, it never happened though.
Then there's Ian Wright saying he would be "disgusted" if he was a United fan. Well you're not Ian, you f***ing gobshite, you're an Arsenal fan and they're playing some jumped up 4th divisioners from Sweden.
And there's even an "I preferred it under van gaal brigade"; he never even managed to reach a knock out tie in this competition for us. Talk about f***ing revisionist. f*** me.
Agreed. In the latter years of Fergus we played some seriously unadventurous shit away in the CL.

We won't dominate anyone away in Europe if we progress this season.

Unread 22-02-2018, 08:56 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Woundwort
Definite racist undertones
got to have you black (12-inch)?

Unread 22-02-2018, 09:06 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
That would be a valid point if this side was playing like a Fergie team the rest of the time, and these vile spineless performances were very rare exceptions.

They aren’t, they’re very much the rule.
Yep. Also don't remember Fergie playing defensively against Southampton, Celta Vigo, Huddersfield etc.

Nothing about the stylistic nature of Mou's tenure is a surprise. Other than so many people seemingly being surprised.

Unread 23-02-2018, 12:34 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
As for the press, they're not told to it's sit back and protect.
They’re not capable.

Unread 23-02-2018, 12:35 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
They’re not capable.
Of pressing the ball?

Unread 23-02-2018, 12:45 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Yep. Also don't remember Fergie playing defensively against Southampton, Celta Vigo, Huddersfield etc.

Nothing about the stylistic nature of Mou's tenure is a surprise. Other than so many people seemingly being surprised.
Yep; guess what matey, that's because he didn't.

Sure, Ferie shut up shop every now and then away from home in Europe but the football his teams produced for the most part was an absolute joy to watch. Players were told to express themselves. Mourinho's United are absolutely dire in every way in 9 out of 10 games. Sad to see as the start to this season promised so much.

Unread 23-02-2018, 01:44 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Do you think some of the blame is on the manager then?

Or do you really thinks he’s doing a good job with bad players?
I think he’s trying to sort out the problems he inherited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
Seeing old Frogson sat in the crowd yesterday really brought it home.

He could've turned up there last night with a team half as talented as the one we put out and he'd have still won the game easily.
Aye, his united team never drew or got dicked. Nor play cautiously away from home in the first leg of a knockout.

Quote:
And if you get your way, which I assume means a new manager, how long will he get to start tearing teams apart every week while winning trophies too?
12-18 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar
Agreed. In the latter years of Fergus we played some seriously unadventurous shit away in the CL.
Ever since 2000 or so.

Quote:
Of pressing the ball?
Yes. What makes you think they are?

Unread 23-02-2018, 02:01 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:

Esp your good self. Can’t get over it. Every day we share your anguish. Bear up, lad. You can do it.

You obvs missed Ferie’s last 3/4 years

Unread 23-02-2018, 02:34 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Yes. What makes you think they are?
The fact that they're almost all good athletes? You're telling me Lukaku, Sanchez, Pogba, The Scottish Player, Valencia, Young, Herrera, Lingard, Martial, Rashford etc can't press the ball? What makes them so different from the City players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Esp your good self. Can’t get over it. Every day we share your anguish. Bear up, lad. You can do it.

You obvs missed Ferie’s last 3/4 years
Nope. Football wasn't good. But we weren't setting up to be so defensive. This really isn't tough Den pal.

Unread 23-02-2018, 08:41 AM
Barcabal

IF jose dont win the league next year then he has to go..cant watch this shit without success

Unread 23-02-2018, 08:48 AM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Woundwort
Definite racist undertones
Didn't even enter my mind pol. Says more about you than me....

Unread 23-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

Nope. Football wasn't good. But we weren't setting up to be so defensive. This really isn't tough Den pal.

You sure about that? Wednesday, for me, was no different to watching us scrape a 1-0 win at Valencia in 2010 - obviously the difference being we scored but in terms of the way we played - and setup - it was near identical. Even according to the beeb. We even played fergies beloved 4-5-1. The fans absolutely ballooned when we scored that night because we knew we didn't deserve it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/9037902.stm

"United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, having set his team up to keep it tight at the back and contain the Spanish side, will be absolutely delighted with the result "

Not surprised to see this being the end of the world for people on here, and no doubt we need to improve, but I also think some have very short memories, shorter than my hair even. Like you, I'm also not sure what people were expecting - on the whole I presumed mourinho would come in, steady the ship after a nonsense few seasons, and win a few pots. He's on the way to doing that isn't he?

Anyone berating him for the style of football - especially away from home in a CL knockout tie - hasn't watched much of his sides previously.

With regards to Wednesday, it was a decent result off the back of a pretty dire performance. Longer term, he'll be here until - I expect - at least the end of next season by which time someone like Poch might be ready to take over. And that's also another issue for me at the moment - people are wanting attacking football with verve, style etc - which managers out there are playing like that at the moment and being successful aside from Guardiola?

Unread 23-02-2018, 11:59 AM
Clarkie

Oh Christ, I can see it now...

"City vs United. Pep vs Poch"

Unread 23-02-2018, 11:59 AM
General Woundwort

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Didn't even enter my mind pol. Says more about you than me....
Just an unsuccessful fishing trip, pol

Unread 23-02-2018, 12:04 PM
Billy Redface

Now our players can't be expected to press?

So that's our defenders who we can't rely on to defend, our midfielders who can't be expected to press and our strikers who can't be expected to score presentable chances on their favoured left foot.

Not to mention our manager, who can't be expected to succeed with the players unless he has single handedly signed every single one of them..

Great. Great stuff.

Unread 23-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
You sure about that? Wednesday, for me, was no different to watching us scrape a 1-0 win at Valencia in 2010 - obviously the difference being we scored but in terms of the way we played - and setup - it was near identical. Even according to the beeb. We even played fergies beloved 4-5-1. The fans absolutely ballooned when we scored that night because we knew we didn't deserve it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/9037902.stm

"United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, having set his team up to keep it tight at the back and contain the Spanish side, will be absolutely delighted with the result "

Not surprised to see this being the end of the world for people on here, and no doubt we need to improve, but I also think some have very short memories, shorter than my hair even. Like you, I'm also not sure what people were expecting - on the whole I presumed mourinho would come in, steady the ship after a nonsense few seasons, and win a few pots. He's on the way to doing that isn't he?

Anyone berating him for the style of football - especially away from home in a CL knockout tie - hasn't watched much of his sides previously.

With regards to Wednesday, it was a decent result off the back of a pretty dire performance. Longer term, he'll be here until - I expect - at least the end of next season by which time someone like Poch might be ready to take over. And that's also another issue for me at the moment - people are wanting attacking football with verve, style etc - which managers out there are playing like that at the moment and being successful aside from Guardiola?
Hi whip.

In the league games prior to that result;
West Ham United 3–0
Everton 3–3
1Liverpool 3–2
Bolton Wanderers 2–2

also earlier same year;
4-4 vs Bayern on agg
7-2 vs Milan on agg

Exception rather than the rule.

by the same logic you could prove there was no difference between SAF and moyes by pulling out the 5-0 at newcastle?

Unread 23-02-2018, 12:17 PM
Whip Hubley

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
Hi whip.
?

Hi Fuzzy.

We're talking about Europe.

Also that season (2010/11)

Man Utd 0-0 Rangers
Rangers 0-1 Man Utd
Man Utd 1-1 Valencia
Maresille 0-0 Man United
Chelsea 0-1 Man United

Keep in mind all those results are on the way to a final

My point is, anyone saying Fergie didn't play or setup defensively in Europe is mistaken.

Unread 23-02-2018, 12:20 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Hi Fuzzy.

We're talking about Europe.

Also that season (2010/11)

Man Utd 0-0 Rangers
Rangers 0-1 Man Utd
Man Utd 1-1 Valencia
Maresille 0-0 Man United
Chelsea 0-1 Man United

Keep in mind all those results are on the way to a final

My point is, anyone saying Fergie didn't play or setup defensively in Europe is mistaken.
So is anyone who says Freggle always did.

This @#%&! always does.

Unread 23-02-2018, 12:21 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

Even in Ferguson's worst shithouse defensive away performances, the team never looked like they'd only just met, for me it isn't about being defensive away from home per se, it's that we look absolute shit when we have the ball, that's why Mourinho needs to go, you can talk about making the team his own all you want, but Wednesday the majority of the team was his signings and they still look like a team thats been cobbled together for World XI at a testimonial.

Arguing about whether he's too defensive is a massive red herring and opportunity for whataboutery. The fact is even if we'd been attacking on Wednesday we still wouldn't look as well drilled as City, Tottenham or even Liverpool, for the most part we'll batter the shite in our own division on sheer overwhelming talent differential, but anyone who knows how to set up defensively exposes the fact that we have no movement or pattern going forward.

City and Tottenham in particular, whenever they have the ball have multiple options for the next pass, we have one of a crossfield ball to one of the fullbacks, a pass back to one of the centre halves or trying to thread a needle to the one person who's moving in the final third. That's why Mourinho is shit, I wouldn't and haven't argued that Ferguson never set up to defend away from home in Europe, but his teams rarely struggled to pass the ball as badly as Mourinho's consistently do.