United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 06-03-2024, 10:29 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacter View Post
I always skip forward to the actual introduction. Its got to the point where it’s 15 minutes in ffs, just get on with it

That annoyed me too.

Looking forward to hearing about the conversation they had etc and Roy Keane barges in playing the character of Roy Keane. Just shut up for a second Keano, you don’t have to prove to the world how real you are every second of the day.
Yep, the intro is way too long.

Unread 06-03-2024, 10:49 PM
Arnold Muhren

Rashford and The Scottish Player both subbed at HT against Watford. Doss @#%&!s.

Unread 06-03-2024, 10:58 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Muhren View Post
Rashford and The Scottish Player both subbed at HT against Watford. Doss @#%&!s.
It’s sickening with rashford in particular how much he gets paid. Moans about his poverty stricken childhood growing up in Manchester but, if he grew up anywhere else in the world, he would have been run out of old Trafford long ago.

It must be very disheartening for any other player, knocking their pan in every day, giving 100% effort on the pitch, then watching that narcoleptic stick insect saunter around the pitch, totally unconcerned with anything other than himself.

If the only transfer activity at the club this summer is him leaving, it will be a successful one.

Unread 06-03-2024, 11:04 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
Rashford subbed at half-time vs Watford. Right before that quote, Solskjaer was talking about knowing that certain players had stopped running for him and given up on him.

Oh look...coincidentally at the same time Rashford was doing his Mother Theresa LARP to make extra bank and was only doing prerecorded interviews with friendly journalists. Funny how much hate Pogba got from the same people that eat up all the Rashford stuff.
You gonna mention the other player who was subbed at HT, who Ole specifically praises in the same podcast

Unread 06-03-2024, 11:26 PM
MagnificentSeven

was gutted for how it ended for him. for a fairly long period, he brought a real sense of positivity and belief to the club, and that was reflected on the pitch. had us top of the league at one point. ronaldo was his undoing.

Unread 06-03-2024, 11:27 PM
thatsfuctit

This was 5 years ago today

Are we in better shape now?

Unread 07-03-2024, 03:34 AM
Denis Irwell

Just as we’re on the verge of getting Martial out the door, Rashford becomes his stand-in. Some of us got pelters for suggesting his shit form might’ve been due to his outside distractions and simply not giving a shite. Disgusting the way he pulled his finger out in the lead up to the contract renewal and then reverted to type.

Neither Klopp or pep would get a tune out of this lot with the lack of options. We’ll never know how it might’ve turned out for Ole (and probably Erik) but will still throw the dice on someone else whose credentials are no better. Just hope big Jim can sort the foundations. Ole doesn’t seem convinced.

Unread 07-03-2024, 04:18 AM
westcoastvan

You think they would lighten up about the Leverkusen miss...it's only been over 20 years...and everybody there probably has a roomful of trophies.

It's not Ole's fault that he was out of his depth as a manager, there are very few people on the planet that can manage at the top level.

The problem lies with Avram and Joel Glazer...

who don't have the personal wealth to keep one of the biggest football clubs in the world at the top level, so they took/take every short cut they can.

Unread 07-03-2024, 05:50 AM
Patty_b

Great interview.

Love him. Treatment he got from the media was awful, if not surprising. The treatment he got from some fans was a disgrace.

In respect of his time as manager and how it ended.

If I speak ...

Unread 07-03-2024, 08:34 AM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b View Post
Great interview.

Love him. Treatment he got from the media was awful, if not surprising. The treatment he got from some fans was a disgrace.

If I speak ...
your big idea to move Ole upstairs exactly what’s got us in this mess in the first place

he was a great guy, and i love him but he wasn’t fit for the role

Unread 07-03-2024, 09:05 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv View Post
your big idea to move Ole upstairs exactly what’s got us in this mess in the first place

he was a great guy, and i love him but he wasn’t fit for the role
Not quite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
It's still a half arsed solution to a bigger problem imo but it'll be a start.
My big solution was wholesale changes from top down before we could get anywhere.

At the time it seemed like a pipe dream, now it could actually happen. Doesn't change the fact that most of the managers since Fergie have been set up to fail with how the club has been run though, Ole included.

Unread 07-03-2024, 10:21 AM
AK14

Patty woke up and chose violence

Unread 07-03-2024, 10:30 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14 View Post
Patty woke up and chose violence

I received reams of shit at the time for suggesting that maybe he wasn't completely clueless and that getting rid of him wouldn't change of anything as long as the structure above the manager stayed the same.

I would like to be even more smug about it, but currently we're 19 points off the top of the league, 11 points of 4th and have a -2 goal difference. I'd rather I was hideously wrong tbh.

Unread 07-03-2024, 11:07 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit

https://youtu.be/HYd_hE0At1o?si=0uHCbPb_zPXGl073
No. Aside from the three youth coming through gives us a bit more potential for the future than then.

Unread 07-03-2024, 11:20 AM
Dacter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit View Post

https://youtu.be/HYd_hE0At1o?si=0uHCbPb_zPXGl073
I know I'm certainly not

Unread 07-03-2024, 12:14 PM
shenwen

But we all knew the structure was messed up. Even those - such as me - who said he should go also understood that a new manager wasn't going to solve those problems. It's been obvious for years.

He was still out of his league though. And this interview for me confirms it. The biggest reason his stint is looking better in hindsight is because ETH has us playing so bad this season. No-one last season was pining for the good old days under Ole.

Unread 07-03-2024, 12:25 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen View Post
But we all knew the structure was messed up. Even those - such as me - who said he should go also understood that a new manager wasn't going to solve those problems. It's been obvious for years.

He was still out of his league though. And this interview for me confirms it. The biggest reason his stint is looking better in hindsight is because ETH has us playing so bad this season. No-one last season was pining for the good old days under Ole.
Thought it was only me from reading the comments here.

“I didn’t think I staying long so I just said go out and enjoy it”
“I asked them to put up their hands if they wanted to play”
“I don’t actually need a job”

I adore Ole but he certainly wasn’t Manchester United manager material or any serious manager material and it’s very unlikely he’ll get the job he hopes will bring him back into the realm.

Unread 07-03-2024, 12:34 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen View Post

I think under Mourinho the place had become so miserable and toxic that Ole coming through the door must have seemed like Mary Poppins had arrived to clear the place up.

That 'feel good' factor only lasts so long though and unfortunately I just think Ole was just too nice to make it at the very top level. You can't be everyone's friend all the time and a lot of players will take your kindness for weakness and think they can do what they want. I think a lot of the players loved playing for him but that's just not enough if you want to compete with the likes of City and Liverpool at this time. The players need to want to play for you but they also need to know that if your standards aren't being bet - they're out the £#%&!ing door. A lot of players over the last 5-6 years at this club have become very very comfortable. Which is a disaster for sporting success.

I appreciate his misty-eyed approach to tactics when playing the likes of City etc at old trafford and he was right in a lot of what he said. But unfortunately telling this current crop of players to go and 'be Man Utd' is a bit like telling your fiat 500 to be a Bugatti. It doesn't make it so. His naive approach to management at this level is ultimately what cost him his job but i wouldn't change the guy for the world because he's one of the best people in football.

Unread 07-03-2024, 12:49 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe View Post
Thought it was only me from reading the comments here.

“I didn’t think I staying long so I just said go out and enjoy it”
“I asked them to put up their hands if they wanted to play”
“I don’t actually need a job”

I adore Ole but he certainly wasn’t Manchester United manager material or any serious manager material and it’s very unlikely he’ll get the job he hopes will bring him back into the realm.
It was a dark time. Misty-eyed red aots completely disregarding him having zero qualifications for the job, convincing themselves it was a great idea on the basis of nostalgia and feelings.

A CEO completely clueless and just happy he'd taken the heat off himself for a bit with the deluded support. It would have been evil genius on Woodward's part if he'd meant it.

Meanwhile Klopp and Pep cleaning up at home and abroad.

Just awful.

Unread 07-03-2024, 06:23 PM
RedNick80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b View Post
Great interview.

If I speak ...
You've gone too soon there Patty!

Should have waited till Ole gets a new job and proves he is a decent manager at the highest level... Otherwise all the points made against are still just as relevant today as they were then, i.e. doubting his calibre and ability as a top manager.

The difference between him and Ten Hag situation now is:

1. Ten Hag one of the most sought after managers in world football when we appointed, with a credible body of work.
2. Our restructure has now hopefully started.
3. No stand out alternatives.