United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 28-08-2023, 12:46 PM
Dr Stranger

Dermot Gallagher on the City penalty:

“I thought it was a penalty. His arm is up. It's close but he's blocked the cross from going to Haaland."

So the fact it’s close doesn’t matter this week, but it did last week. Gotcha 👍

Unread 28-08-2023, 01:36 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Dermot Gallagher on the City penalty:

“I thought it was a penalty. His arm is up. It's close but he's blocked the cross from going to Haaland."

So the fact it’s close doesn’t matter this week, but it did last week. Gotcha 👍

He's actually said that?

Unread 28-08-2023, 01:48 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
He's actually said that?
Of course.

And on the clip you posted, if that was in the United box, the refs and commentators would just play the old ‘momentum’ card and the penalty would be given. With Casemiro being sent off and Bruno carded for protesting.

Unread 28-08-2023, 04:00 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
Of course.

And on the clip you posted, if that was in the United box, the refs and commentators would just play the old ‘momentum’ card and the penalty would be given. With Casemiro being sent off and Bruno carded for protesting.
And a 3 match ban for Evra.

Unread 29-08-2023, 12:55 AM
armchair

When did a yellow for persistent fouls come in? The concept broke their goldfish brains.

Unread 29-08-2023, 06:52 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
He's actually said that?
Yep. As we’ve said, they’re just making it up on the fly. His justification here seems to be that the ball would have got to Haaland. Last week, the Justification for not giving it was he was too close. Where the ball was destined for didn’t come into play.

Most of the time, he’s just defending the refs.

Unread 03-09-2023, 09:14 AM
magic_cantona

Everton fans weirdly think referees are conspiring against them, rather than referees are simply shit. Here's an example from yesterday which is terrible.

"Ref! We don't want to stand behind THAT line!"

"OK lads, this any better?"

Unread 03-09-2023, 10:01 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Everton fans weirdly think referees are conspiring against them, rather than referees are simply shit. Here's an example from yesterday which is terrible.

"Ref! We don't want to stand behind THAT line!"

"OK lads, this any better?"

https://twitter.com/Jim_Keoghan/stat...ZaRytnQaA&s=19
But that’s not what happened. He added a line for the attacking team and put the defending team behind the first line. I’m all for calling out bad refereeing - for example, thought Everton should have had a penalty just before this - but that wasn’t it.

Unread 03-09-2023, 10:02 AM
armchair

At least a large minority of games have atrocious decisions.

Unread 03-09-2023, 07:57 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
At least a large minority of games have atrocious decisions.
Which is something VAR was meant to deal with.

Unread 04-09-2023, 05:20 AM
magic_cantona

Clear penalty, no?

Unread 04-09-2023, 06:45 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Edge of box it's a free kick, so not sure why its ignored without comment.

Its the complete North Korea of these things where we're concerned at times. No replays, no discussion, not in the highlights, not mentioned in the match report

Unread 04-09-2023, 07:05 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
£#%&!ing hell

Stone wall. Didn't look anywhere near that bad live. Sure the commentary team said it was checked by VAR at the time as well. What the £#%&! are they checking

Unread 04-09-2023, 07:15 AM
djsst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
£#%&!ing hell

Stone wall. Didn't look anywhere near that bad live. Sure the commentary team said it was checked by VAR at the time as well. What the £#%&! are they checking
Jenas said it was just a coming together on MOTD2.

Unread 04-09-2023, 07:27 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsst
Jenas said it was just a coming together on MOTD2.
"It's a coming together...", "Needs to be stronger...", "Should do better...".

Two of those were said post-match about this.

It's why I don't listen to the @#%&!s anymore, outright bullshit that won't get challenged because it appeases vast majority of fans that don't support us.

Another angle of the offside, the one Sky had access to straight away but for some reason the officials didn't.

Not saying it's 100% on, but sure as £#%&! a better angle than the one they used.

Also, if Casemiro put in the same two footed challenge Saka did (Can't remember on who), he'd have got sent off after a VAR review.

Unread 04-09-2023, 07:32 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
£#%&!ing hell

Totally agree. I thought it wasca tussle but there wasn't any sort of coverage that ANYTHING had happened I saw Onana for Everton get booked for a 'tussle' like that on Saturday, yet here it's not even a discussion as to if its even a foul. An, of course, the usual media @#%&!s and pundits are silent. Shocking.

Unread 04-09-2023, 07:34 AM
larry

they drew it from garnacho's elbow and not the defenders head, we were done

they also rushed it taking 5 seconds to draw the lines, using the wrong camera

Unread 04-09-2023, 07:39 AM
magic_cantona

Straight red? 100%

Unread 04-09-2023, 07:41 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
That's the one. If that's Casemiro he's getting a straight red, or a red after a VAR review. His leading foot was high on Bruno and got nowhere near the ball, and then his following foot made contact with Bruno's other leg even higher.

Unread 04-09-2023, 07:42 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry

they drew it from garnacho's elbow and not the defenders head, we were done

they also rushed it taking 5 seconds to draw the lines, using the wrong camera
The amount of time stood out for me too. Even looking at the angles, it’s so tight. Really hard to tell. When they’re like that, they usually spend an age sticking those lines up. I was surprised at just now quickly that red line came up.