United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-02-2016, 05:11 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
A lack of a great side in the league, doesn't automatically mean the rest of the league is shit. We have the most competitive league in Europe amongst the top nations, by a distance.
Both these points are objectively true. The overall standard of play in the league is still pretty low. It's not 'truly shit' of course, but it's not great, either. The fact that it is competitive just underlies its mediocrity imo. Why aren't there great teams? But it does make for good drama.

Unread 07-02-2016, 06:14 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonred
So, got a call this morning from my Spanish football mate - wanted to meet for a beer to chew the footy fat.

Anyway, Jullen loves footy and follows the Premier League. Cut to the chase - he asked the question "Where would ´Lestersher´ City be now in La Liga? Penny dropped - "Mid-table at best" was my response.
No-one can argue with that.
You've got a dorsal fin on your head

Unread 07-02-2016, 11:47 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
because City are a massive club

Unread 07-02-2016, 12:56 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Both these points are objectively true. The overall standard of play in the league is still pretty low. It's not 'truly shit' of course, but it's not great, either. The fact that it is competitive just underlies its mediocrity imo. Why aren't there great teams? But it does make for good drama.
Well first of all, we probably need to define what it is shit or poor in comparison to.

La Liga is full of cannon fodder who get serious hidings off the decent sides, Serie A is full of poor sides with the exception of Juve (Fiorentina in 3rd probably wouldn't make top 10 in England), and as for Germany and France, well there's not much point in even going there. There is one top side in each.

So, are people arguing that the leagues in Europe are of a far better standard, outside the top 1 - 3 teams in that said league?

Or are we saying that football in general across Europe is poor?

Or which is more likely the point, that people are seeing that there is no side in England that competes with Barca / Madrid / Bayern, therefore the rest of the league must be shit or substandard?

Or finally are people arguing that the standard of play is poor. If so, I can't say I've sat down too many times to watch Las Palmas vs Rayo Vallecano and thought; '£#%&! me, this is riveting stuff'.

Unread 07-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Silkyray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Well first of all, we probably need to define what it is shit or poor in comparison to.

La Liga is full of cannon fodder who get serious hidings off the decent sides, Serie A is full of poor sides with the exception of Juve (Fiorentina in 3rd probably wouldn't make top 10 in England), and as for Germany and France, well there's not much point in even going there. There is one top side in each.

So, are people arguing that the leagues in Europe are of a far better standard, outside the top 1 - 3 teams in that said league?

Or are we saying that football in general across Europe is poor?

Or which is more likely the point, that people are seeing that there is no side in England that competes with Barca / Madrid / Bayern, therefore the rest of the league must be shit or substandard?

Or finally are people arguing that the standard of play is poor. If so, I can't say I've sat down too many times to watch Las Palmas vs Rayo Vallecano and thought; '£#%&! me, this is riveting stuff'.
It's probably easier to ask the questions;
A) what constitutes a good league
B) where does it exist

Unread 07-02-2016, 03:40 PM
ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
A matter of interest. Is you father still living? Care to post a pic of him?
Closed Thread