United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 20-03-2024, 09:14 PM
Hyman_Roth

Default Glasgow Rangers v MUFC

Pre season game in July 2024.

From United’s official website:

Quote:
Manchester United will play Rangers for the first time in over a decade in a pre-season match at Scottish Gas Murrayfield, in Edinburgh, on Saturday 20 July.

The Premier League and Scottish Premiership giants haven’t faced each other since 2010, when a late Wayne Rooney penalty at Ibrox gave United a 1-0 victory in the group stage of the UEFA Champions League.

The game marks a second successive summer visit to Murrayfield for United, after our 1-0 win over French Ligue 1 side Lyon last July, in front of 50,000 fans at the traditional home of Scottish rugby.

The Edinburgh fixture, which kicks off at 16:00 BST, will be the Reds’ final call before travelling to Los Angeles a few days later, for this summer’s tour of the United States.

90 in 20: United v Lyon

Announcing the fixture at an event in Edinburgh today (Wednesday) were Manchester United legend and former England international Wes Brown, and Rangers legend and former Scotland international Lee McCulloch.

Both players were part of the squad when United and Rangers last met and spoke of their excitement for the fixture.

Wes Brown said: “Two of the biggest clubs in British football coming together in the Scottish capital is one of those can’t-miss occasions for any football fan. Last year, when United faced Olympique Lyonnais, the fans' support was fantastic, and I am sure, alongside the Rangers fans, the atmosphere at this year’s game will be incredible.”

Lee McCulloch said: “I remember it like it was yesterday, playing United in 2010. While the result didn’t go the way we wanted, it was a brilliant occasion, and a powerful representation of the strength of both sides as powerhouses in their respective nations.

“Rangers are, once again, back fighting at the top of the Scottish Premiership and Manchester United remain one of the leading sides in global football. Scottish Gas Murrayfield, the home of Scottish rugby, is one of the most magical sporting venues in the world, so it seems only fitting to have such a thrilling fixture hosted there.”

Unread 20-03-2024, 09:19 PM
est.1878

Thumbs up

Loched in.

Unread 20-03-2024, 09:27 PM
Finport Red

Unread 20-03-2024, 09:30 PM
Chris Quayd

“Two of the biggest clubs in British football coming together in the Scottish capital is one of those can’t-miss occasions for any football fan. Last year, when United faced Olympique Lyonnais, the fans' support was fantastic, and I am sure, alongside the Rangers fans, the atmosphere at this year’s game will be incredible.”

Classic Wes

Unread 20-03-2024, 09:35 PM
Bunker Buster

Revenge for 08....

IN.

Unread 20-03-2024, 09:42 PM
Sparky***

Didn’t we play them in 1994 in a pre season friendly and Eric got sent off?

Unread 20-03-2024, 09:54 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky*** View Post
Yes. Was on a Greek Island in the middle of nowehere. Would have been 11 and vividly remember walking for agres in peak midday heat, poss 40s to find a paper. Finding a shop that sold English papers was mainline. pre internet age of holiday results.

Unread 20-03-2024, 10:00 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878 View Post
Yes. Was on a Greek Island in the middle of nowehere. Would have been 11 and vividly remember walking for agres in peak midday heat, poss 40s to find a paper. Finding a shop that sold English papers was mainline. pre internet age of holiday results.
No, I'm sure it was in Scotland.

Unread 20-03-2024, 10:26 PM
Dacter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky*** View Post
I think Mark Hateley scored.

I was fuming

Unread 20-03-2024, 11:14 PM
Jack Duckworth

Disgusting club and Rangers are no better.

Unread 21-03-2024, 01:22 PM
Travis Bickle

The worst trouble I have ever seen at Old Trafford was a "friendly" against Rangers. It was mid-season I think when the home internationals had been abandoned because of violence - mid-70s?

They brought loads down, destroyed half the stands, got on the pitch and into the lower cantilever and headed to The Stretford End. Idon't remember the game at all.

Any older reds remember this?

Unread 21-03-2024, 04:54 PM
luminova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
The worst trouble I have ever seen at Old Trafford was a "friendly" against Rangers. It was mid-season I think when the home internationals had been abandoned because of violence - mid-70s?

They brought loads down, destroyed half the stands, got on the pitch and into the lower cantilever and headed to The Stretford End. Idon't remember the game at all.

In my drink addled memory, I always thought it was played because for once both teams had been knocked out of the cup in the 3rd round and it was played on 4th round day.

But, as you say, it was carnage that day, I'm sure I read that they had 2 specials and 90 coaches down that day, I was in K stand and remember hordes of ginger haired scamps with strange checked clothing climbing into it and challenging people to fisticuffs

Oh, and we lost 3-2

Unread 21-03-2024, 06:35 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post

Think there was a quote in RK's 'Red army years' along the lines of "I thought I was proper working class until I saw rangers come to old Trafford"

Women stood on seats openly pissing

Unread 21-03-2024, 07:23 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Unread 21-03-2024, 07:50 PM
Travis Bickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878 View Post
Think there was a quote in RK's 'Red army years' along the lines of "I thought I was proper working class until I saw rangers come to old Trafford"

Women stood on seats openly pissing
That pretty much sums it up. We were there queuing at the Stretford End turnstiles at a ridiculously early time. A group of them came round punching for fun. I think I got away with it because I had a tartan scarf tied to my wrist!

Unread 21-03-2024, 08:12 PM
Denis Irwell

There was little interest in it.

Think only 35,000 turned up and near half of that was them lot, in the days we”d often take 20,000 to aways.

Unread 21-03-2024, 09:16 PM
Chorlton74

Be about 20 years ago, places in Manchester deliberately shut up shop on the premise of 30,000 teddy bears coming down.

It was more like 10% if that. Could of been the same night the Subbuteo chant started.

Tramps