United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-06-2023, 05:42 PM
redhegemony

Default The Gap

Nowhere near as big as I was expecting. City looked sharper and fitter and understood their patterns. They didnt make the mistakes we did.

Lindelof looked after Haaland well and the defence was decent.

Centre mid was a problem and Eriksen looks shot post injury. 2 decent acquistions in there plus 2 strikers and gK and we can give them a good game
Amazing we are only a year in.

So many City fans had gone before the presentation.

Wembley as shit as ever.

Unread 03-06-2023, 05:43 PM
Jethro

Waiting on Ste's day report

Unread 03-06-2023, 06:00 PM
AK14

Varane had Haalands number

Linders was a bit of a @#%&! at times but to expected and overall did well enough.

The quality of bench options was ridiculous compared to there’s. Just Garnacho who could change a game and he’s an 18 year old kid. We’re not that far off imo, but we need proper owners who allow a manager to build on their initial success.

Unread 03-06-2023, 06:03 PM
dunk

Worth noting we’re missing Licha, Sabitzer, Antony and Martial (, but still) whereas they’re at absolute full strength? Anyone missing? I can’t think of anyone.

We’ve played more games with a much smaller squad. Everything played into their hands, then they score with the first shot on goal

I’d be interested to see the stats on how many times the oppositions first attempt/attack has resulted in a goal against us in the last 10 years, must be £#%&!ing horrendous reading

Unread 03-06-2023, 06:18 PM
madhattricks

I disagree. The gap to sustained winning is huge. A one off final. We were close. But season after season. Man Dhabi have the depth that no one can can keep up with.

Unread 03-06-2023, 06:27 PM
dunk

We’re a way off (and a takeover, plus the time to sort the infrastructure) being sufficiently well run to sustain a challenge, we’re 5-10 of the right players from being able to challenge properly over the course of a season imo, and it’ll take time to find those players.

Only, what, 3 or 4 wins off them in the league this season, which is decent really, when they’re the result of 8 years of consistency from a management perspective.

Next season will be a tough one though, no way Chelsea and the dippers are as bad, Newcastle will improve again. We need to make some sparkling transfer decisions imo.

Unread 03-06-2023, 06:33 PM
Sparky***

The gap is £#%&!ing enormous. Just because they didn't get out of 3rd gear long enough to give us an absolutely pummelling, don't kid yourself.

Unread 03-06-2023, 06:38 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
The gap is £#%&!ing enormous. Just because they didn't get out of 3rd gear long enough to give us an absolutely pummelling, don't kid yourself.
This, unfortunately.

We’re a long way away from them. But not from anyone else. We’re a decent transfer window away from being right up there. Then, it’s about tactics and desire.

From where we’ve come, this was a good season. I expect next season to be great.

Unread 03-06-2023, 06:48 PM
Danoli

They created lots of chances and controlled the game by and large
We created very little, we fed off a few scraps

Nice cameo from Garnacho, he’s going to get better and better

This transfer window is going to be crucial

Unread 03-06-2023, 06:50 PM
Vedder

They’re miles ahead of us. Not a single united player gets in their team, there’s a gap between the managers but the biggest gap is off the pitch. We’re a £#%&!ing mess. Our recruitment is a disgrace.

Unread 03-06-2023, 06:58 PM
tatty

We are pretty much a full team behind.

Unread 03-06-2023, 07:05 PM
redhegemony

Not much to choose in the defence except they have Ake to bring on we have Maguire. 2 better keepers , its central mid and striker where we are woefully short and the squad depth.

Unread 03-06-2023, 07:37 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Project needs to be accelerated big time in summer. Varane + Casemiro 2 most transformative players for this team but both in 30s. Piecemeal approach risks them dimming by time rest of team complete.

Mount for Eriksen is 1 big step forward. CF next. Keeper third. Then we need to see if ETH can get this team actually scoring some goals as a result.

Unread 03-06-2023, 07:45 PM
NedKelly

I think it’s nonsense that none of our players get into their team. Bruno, Rashford, Casemiro, Varane, Shaw, Martinez (!!!) all would stand a fair chance of being starters for them. Antony will too within a couple of seasons but willing to concede he needs to bring a bit more consistency to his game.

We’re woefully short in depth meaning when you lose one or two players, we’re left with mid table types who should be nowhere near this club. Our lack of a goal scoring centre forward hinders us massively also.

A striker, a top tier middy, and a replacement goalkeeper are the bare minimum we need to bring in this summer. If - and I know it’s a big if - we can also recruit an extra midfielder (defensive mid to cover for and work with Casemiro), and a solid defender, there would be nothing holding us back from challenging.

Unread 03-06-2023, 08:35 PM
Vedder

Evens city’s second choice keeper is better than De Gea ffs he’s played about 10 games all season and he’d walk into our team

Unread 03-06-2023, 08:39 PM
andyroo

I wish ours were as unbookable as Bernardo Silva is.

Snide @#%&!.

Unread 03-06-2023, 09:50 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
I wish ours were as unbookable as Bernardo Silva is.

Snide @#%&!.
We would love him at United...

Unread 03-06-2023, 09:56 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

B Silva is a more effective player than D Silva was .. personifies Guardiola football ..

Unread 04-06-2023, 12:05 AM
Stickman

They were well off it today by their standards so it was a big opportunity in that respect.

No bench didn’t help though. Antony, Martial, Sabitzer all options we could have done with.

Garnacho was a big positive as was Wan Bissaka again imo.

3 players going straight into the starting 11 and Guardiola leaving would make the biggest dent….

Unread 04-06-2023, 08:05 AM
pedr0

They beat us in third gear with one eye on a champions league final next week.

Yeah, there's a gap.
Closed Thread