United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Horst_ Bucholst ...

Default anyone on here read the flashman novels ?

I'm two-thrirds of the way through the second one at the moment. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Wafty Crank ...

Is it about a fat tout who (allegedly) bribes his club's way into the league?

Old 06-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Jez Quigley ...

Thumbs up Horst

I can not describe how much my life has been enhanced by these books.

Really.

Why they are not compulsory reading for schoolchildren/students I do not know. Humour, intelligence, bloody interesting. I can not praise them enough.

You know what? Even the one or two weaker stories have so many brilliant moments in them you would not believe.

You lucky bugger - having them books ahead of you. I envy your future moments with the brave, honorable, upstanding and fearless Flashman

Old 06-05-2008, 09:37 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver ...

I have all of these novels sitting on a shelf at home as they were left there by the brother in law when he went abroad to teach english. I have not even looked at them, am I to understand from this thread that they are worth a gander?

Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Pete's Shoes ...

They are quite simply the best series of books ever written. I am just re-reading them, halfway through Flash For Freedom. When I heard George MacDonald Fraser had died recently I was devastated. No more Flashy. He has to be one of literature's best characters and the fact the historical content is so accurate makes them all the more enjoyable. As has been pointed out you are a lucky man having the rest of the series ahead of you. Enjoy!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Jez Quigley ...

Default Brl

How can Pete's Shoes AND the Jezster be wrong.

If I had to have one author's books to educate my children - it would be him. Funny, clever, insightful, historically educating. Can not advise you to get to that shelf and start going through them quickly enough. Then send your bro-in-law a naked stripagram as a thank you.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:13 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
How can Pete's Shoes AND the Jezster be wrong.

If I had to have one author's books to educate my children - it would be him. Funny, clever, insightful, historically educating. Can not advise you to get to that shelf and start going through them quickly enough. Then send your bro-in-law a naked stripagram as a thank you.
So just to confirm the reading of these books would be a bit more of a constructive use of my time than playing GTA4. I might have a little leaf, I suss out which is the first one and go from there.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Pete's Shoes ...

First one to read is Flashman. Once you've read that just work through them. Ignoring that little gift horse would be the wrong side of enough

Old 06-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Child of Darkness ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
I have all of these novels sitting on a shelf at home as they were left there by the brother in law when he went abroad to teach english. I have not even looked at them, am I to understand from this thread that they are worth a gander?
brilliant mate

I've read the lot more than 3x each

you lot ought to try the master and commander series as well - Unputdownable

Old 19-05-2008, 08:10 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver ...

Right my literary chums, between half 11 and 12 last night I put down GTA 4 and decided to read a book before bed like I did when I was a nipper and I must say this Flashman chap is rather compelling. I will keep and read and thanks one and all for the advice.
Codders, I bought the entire master and commander series for a fiver for the missus last year so I have them knocking about too but since I only tend to read when on holiday I reckon I wont get to them til at least 2010. Still I liked the film.
Closed Thread