United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-03-2017, 11:38 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
so what if another bent or just wrong decision might follow? if your first appeal was proved right you get another one anyway. are people really saying they wouldn't want suarez' ridiculous dive the other night to be over-turned by the video ref?
But then barca and the world would have been robbed of the greatest comeback in history.

Unread 11-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
exactly. grounds to win the appeal presumably wouldn't be whether he meant to handball it. it would just be did it hit his hand or not. it would take seconds. if it did then the refs call stands.

whether a player was fouled or not is more difficult. the number of times a player is brought down by clipping the shin of a defender impeding his stride or his kicking foot rather than by actually tripping him is huge but rarely gets picked up by commentators on slow mo replays. then again, there are clear dives that trash the game.

opponents to video refs are right to say it wouldn't sort out all the issues without completely ruining the sport, but no-one wants all the issues sorting anyway, they just want each side to have a chance to stop a blatantly bent decision wrecking their week, or wrecking their season.

so what if another bent or just wrong decision might follow? if your first appeal was proved right you get another one anyway. are people really saying they wouldn't want suarez' ridiculous dive the other night to be over-turned by the video ref?
No Throb, but it doesn't mean they'd actually overturn it, does it?

Generally, in favour but it would only half deal with some issues and we'd still be stuck with a load of others that nobody can agree on after four zillion slo-mo s

(Auto correct did "slow Moyes" )

Unread 11-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
No Throb, but it doesn't mean they'd actually overturn it, does it?

Generally, in favour but it would only half deal with some issues and we'd still be stuck with a load of others that nobody can agree on after four zillion slo-mo s

(Auto correct did "slow Moyes" )
i guess this is right tbh - even the ones that are blatantly obviously wrong would still be impossible to definitively call by looking at video if there was even the slightest touch that the officials could point to to justify their choice to give a foul or not... which kind of makes the limited use on mistaken identity and off the ball stuff not really worth the effort... also thin end of the wedge towards having the ref in the stands undermining the ref on the pitch...

too much power in the hands of the TV director/producer/editor...

tricky intit.

could defo have did it hit a hand or not? was it inside the box or not?

Unread 08-04-2017, 10:46 AM
TheFatGoth

Only took 2 minutes

Unread 08-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Denis Irwell

Aussies leading the way

Unread 08-04-2017, 11:16 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
https://streamable.com/bmdg1

Only took 2 minutes
Disgusting.....

So that's the Spain v France & the wallabies v dingbats they have got BOTH wrong....

You're still relying on a human interpretation of a situation..

Unread 08-04-2017, 11:28 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

Only took 2 minutes
been waiting 22 years for the tim breaker one

Unread 08-04-2017, 11:22 PM
Zorg

Quote:

Only took 2 minutes
ffs

That was haaanbaaal, ya flamin' galaah

Glad it's not going to slow the game down at all

Unread 27-01-2018, 08:47 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Looks like the forum is split on this one: lads who have been to a match, lads who have not.

Hope we can reach a compromise.
Seems like everyone is on board now it's actually happening.

Utter £#%&!ing %@#$&!s.

Unread 27-01-2018, 09:17 PM
Kangared

Not a fan at all. Refs will eventually refer every single incident to the VAR to avoid taking the responsibility for any mistakes. I like the goal line technology as it’s quick & none intrusive but I see this VAR becoming a nightmare with players charging at the ref drawing imaginary squares every couple of minutes

Unread 27-01-2018, 09:52 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Load of absolute shit. That Aussie example above is ludicrous. Incredibly dull.

Injustice is part of the game. Gets the players’ blood pumping. Just sanitising everything. Not to mention how it slows the flow. Another nail in the coffin as far as I’m concerned. Shit.

Unread 27-01-2018, 09:52 PM
RemisMoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangared
Not a fan at all. Refs will eventually refer every single incident to the VAR to avoid taking the responsibility for any mistakes. I like the goal line technology as it’s quick & none intrusive but I see this VAR becoming a nightmare with players charging at the ref drawing imaginary squares every couple of minutes
This.
And what about offsides? Play to the whistle? Does the ref whistle when he sees the flag? Do the players have to play onto the ball going dead even if they hear the whistle? If he puts it in the net when all the defence stops for the whistle and it’s not offside is it a goal? Leave it be ffs. Then there’s the ones were its matter of opinion. I thought they said just clear obvious mistakes like the wrong man getting sent off. They can shove it if it’s going to be for every slight fart in the box.

Unread 27-01-2018, 10:08 PM
Kangared

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemisMoses
This.
And what about offsides? Play to the whistle? Does the ref whistle when he sees the flag? Do the players have to play onto the ball going dead even if they hear the whistle? If he puts it in the net when all the defence stops for the whistle and it’s not offside is it a goal? Leave it be ffs. Then there’s the ones were its matter of opinion. I thought they said just clear obvious mistakes like the wrong man getting sent off. They can shove it if it’s going to be for every slight fart in the box.
How many times have we seen debates about red cards, handballs, fouls etc that rage infor weeks & even with a hundred replays & countlet” expert “ analysts it still comes down in most cases to interpretation

Unread 27-01-2018, 10:16 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangared
How many times have we seen debates about red cards, handballs, fouls etc that rage infor weeks & even with a hundred replays & countlet” expert “ analysts it still comes down in most cases to interpretation
Problem is that the refs are some sort of protected species.

They’re above criticism and above repercussions from within the game for the decisions they make.

For the most part, all of these tedious debates would be shut down if refs who have made big mistakes came out and said “Yeah, sorry. I £#%&!ed that one up. These are the reasons I made the wrong decision that I did. I’ll try to improve and ensure it doesn’t happen again”.

But no, all you get is this arrogant wall of silence from the £#%&!ers and their governing body. Meanwhile any player or manager who dare suggest the ref gave a poor performance is hauled over the coals.

I’m all for respecting the officials, but it’s a £#%&!ing two way street.

Unread 27-01-2018, 10:22 PM
Kangared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Load of absolute shit. That Aussie example above is ludicrous. Incredibly dull.

Injustice is part of the game. Gets the players’ blood pumping. Just sanitising everything. Not to mention how it slows the flow. Another nail in the coffin as far as I’m concerned. Shit.
Yeah mate, your post is far more exciting .

Unread 27-01-2018, 11:08 PM
red in cumbria

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
Problem is that the refs are some sort of protected species.

They’re above criticism and above repercussions from within the game for the decisions they make.

For the most part, all of these tedious debates would be shut down if refs who have made big mistakes came out and said “Yeah, sorry. I £#%&!ed that one up. These are the reasons I made the wrong decision that I did. I’ll try to improve and ensure it doesn’t happen again”.

But no, all you get is this arrogant wall of silence from the £#%&!ers and their governing body. Meanwhile any player or manager who dare suggest the ref gave a poor performance is hauled over the coals.

I’m all for respecting the officials, but it’s a £#%&!ing two way street.
Excellent post.

Unread 27-01-2018, 11:32 PM
The taste of...

Was used in every rugby game in my time down under in last few years.

Ref would call up on 99% of every try just to 'check' on something 50 yards back

Can see the same happening. So much more at stake than £#%&!ing Ruggers

Unread 27-01-2018, 11:49 PM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...

Ref would call up on 99% of every try just to 'check' on something 50 yards back

It works well in Super league over here to be honest but as you say Rugby League is a totally diffferent sport to football.

Reading the thread on here, It seems like VAR was the scousers man of the match tonight, it got them a penalty and saved them a goal.

Unread 28-01-2018, 05:48 AM
Denis Irwell

Thought the Australian one went ok tbh

The other complications are what happens to subsequent passage of play after var outcome? Sometimes obvious but not always.

You’re still gonna get @#%&!ing refs applying their unique wisdom to incidents like the blatantly offside goal Newcastle scored at OT with their player lay prone a yard in front of Dave but apparently not interfering with play.

Var can’t account for that level of stupidity. If they are determined to be a genius or allow their fave team a win there’s £#%&! all anyone can do about that.

Unread 28-01-2018, 06:10 AM
Kangared

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...

Exactly. Refs are scared to make the simplest of calls. That fear & the repercussions would be massively magnified in the Premier League. If a ref backs his judgement & doesn’t use the CAR & it turns out he should all hell breaks loose & he gets slaughtered & no other refs will risk going there so even the seemingly clear cut decisions will end up getting reviewed & the game will Graf on longer than my post 😁 . The VAR got all the calls right at Liverpool yet it still caused so much outrage. Luckily they were all pretty much black & white decisions
Closed Thread