United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-04-2017, 04:09 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
I don't agree.
I think he's just another scapegoat - ala' Young, Valencia, Smalling, Jones, Rashford & one or two others.

Every squad needs squad players.
The problem with our team are the so-called big names who are nowhere near good enough to justify their inflated reputation.
I agree we need squad players.

My point is that we have a lot of squad players who start every week, rather than them being rotated in like O'Shea and Park were.

Under Fergie in 08 we arguably had players who were probably top 7 in the world in their position in most positions on the pitch. And in some positions we had the very best. That should be our benchmark.

I think De Gea is the only one we could say that about now, Pogba and Martial have that potential, Mhiki should also be a matchwinner and Bailly is promising.

I think the point earlier whether we would care if most of our first team we're starting regularly for our rivals is a good one.

Unread 07-04-2017, 04:16 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
I agree we need squad players.

My point is that we have a lot of squad players who start every week, rather than them being rotated in like O'Shea and Park were.

Under Fergie in 08 we arguably had players who were probably top 7 in the world in their position in most positions on the pitch. And in some positions we had the very best. That should be our benchmark.

I think De Gea is the only one we could say that about now, Pogba and Martial have that potential, Mhiki should also be a matchwinner and Bailly is promising.

I think the point earlier whether we would care if most of our first team we're starting regularly for our rivals is a good one.
yes, but my point is the players who we £#%&!ed millions upon millions on in the transfer market should be our 'worldies' - but they're not because they're nowhere near as good as we all would like to think they are.
They should be the ones taking all the stick for our 6th place mediocrity, not our 'squad players' like Lingard, Young & co..

Unread 07-04-2017, 04:26 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Thank you for being pedantic as ever. I'm referring to him as a right-sided player, not Nick Griffin.

Lee Martin scored a cup final winner, so I'm not sure where you're going with that.

I'm not jealous of him, I'm pleased that we've got youngsters coming through still despite being told that City's academy is much better than ours these days by the dribbling berts down the local. I just don't think he's good enough for a club that should be challenging Barcelona and Bayern for European dominance.
don't want to bring further pedantry, but real madrid are the best team in europe

lee martin isn't a millionaire i don't think, and he followed up his brilliant cup final goal with an own goal against montpellier and barely played for us again ...

i wish we had lee sharpe 90/91 playing for us rool:

Unread 07-04-2017, 04:35 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
don't want to bring further pedantry, but real madrid are the best team in europe

lee martin isn't a millionaire i don't think, and he followed up his brilliant cup final goal with an own goal against montpellier and barely played for us again ...

i wish we had lee sharpe 90/91 playing for us rool:
%@#$&!s; you always want to bring further pedantry.

I'd imagine Lee wishes he could rewind to 90/91 and not £#%&! up the chance he was given.

Unread 07-04-2017, 04:39 PM
Sparky***

Unread 07-04-2017, 04:44 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Jason Hope: "He's an FA Cup winner"

£#%&!ing hell. David May and Djimi Traore have won a CL medal apiece; doesn't make them good enough.

Unread 07-04-2017, 06:41 PM
RedMenace

No doubt this will turn into a RI v Gary borefest like the row over his development. Both going on mute. Over 2.5 'JP' name drops from G Nev predicted.

Unread 07-04-2017, 06:49 PM
utd99

Love how we shuffle the deck to decide who we're allowed to critique and who is off limits. Once they take that field everyone should be fair game because United is what matters, not instagram accounts. Good players do good things; good players create chances and score goals; good players don't need excuses or mitigating circumstances, they just play.

There's only two possibilities, either Lingard is given a free role to roam about by Mourinho, or he has no positional discipline. We can't know for sure of course, but my intuition tells me it's the latter. Why the new contract then? Well contracts in football these days can be as much about protecting your transfer value than your inclusion in forward planning. I don't believe for one second Mourinho sees a player this limited as the way forward.

Not. Good. Enough.

Unread 07-04-2017, 07:07 PM
RedMenace

I thought Mourinho's quotes today were instructive. "It's an important contract, I'm happy for him. He's English, came through the Academy, such players are important". Not much in there about his ability.

Unread 07-04-2017, 07:28 PM
puressence

Coutinho gets paid double I'd have Jesse anybody of the week over that 1 good game in 10 @#%&! fact

Unread 07-04-2017, 07:32 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 times
No but he scored in two cup finals so he must be good.

Oh and a good goal against Boro
Trouble is, he ONLY scores "good" goals. Seriously, he needs a few more tap-ins.

Unread 07-04-2017, 07:33 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Trouble is, he ONLY scores "good" goals. Seriously, he needs a few more tap-ins.
Not alone in that.

Do we even practice finishing? There has to be something wrong. It's beyond a joke.

Unread 07-04-2017, 07:39 PM
utd99

2017's Keiron Richardson

Unread 07-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
2017's Keiron Richardson
Woah !!!

KR was a right @#%&! on and off the pitch..

Unread 07-04-2017, 07:54 PM
RedMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Woah !!!

KR was a right @#%&! on and off the pitch..
Apparently KR's a born again Christian these days and is ashamed of how he used to behave.

Unread 07-04-2017, 10:00 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I don't believe for one second Mourinho sees a player this limited as the way forward.

Not. Good. Enough.
See another player who also starts regularly - Fellaini

Unread 07-04-2017, 11:15 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Another way of looking at it is would you be comfortable seeing him join a rival club. Of course you would.
He must have a really good attitude because ability wise he's no better than Kieran Richardson.

Like mentioned above, he's English and home grown. Don't know how our quota is but we probably can't afford to lose many more. He's fine as a squad player and as such isn't the problem. The problem is we don't currently have a first teamer good enough to relegate him to being the squad player he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
See another player who also starts regularly - Fellaini
He only plays as a sub unless there's injuries.

Unread 08-04-2017, 02:14 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
fair enough.
I'm the same age as the CO92 as well (harsh on Nicky Butt btw, far more than a 'squad player' for me. Great little player)

It just seems to me on here that we're incredibly harsh on the likes of Lingard, Rashford & co

perhaps if some of our superstar signings of the last few windows were creative & actually good enough to drag us up the table a little bit higher than 6th there wouldn't be so much bitterness towards the easy targets.
Unbelievably harsh on Butt. He kept Scholes out of the team for big matches until 99-2000 and was always one of our reliable performers at Leeds, Liverpool, Arsenal etc. Nicky Butt from 96-99 was quality.

Unread 08-04-2017, 03:23 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Yes, Pogba and Mkhitaryan, should be 2 of the best players in the league have 7 goals and 4 assists between them(league). Add in Martial and it is 10 and 8. £150 million and 1/2 a million a week. Shit. Yet we focus on Rashford and Lingard.
There we go. Absolutely spot on again.

Pogba has delivered this season according to Marlo Garish #@&%!.

Speaking of Nicky Butt - would love him now. He'd be our best player tbf.
Closed Thread