United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-09-2018, 10:57 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Ah the old Woodward discussion.

Funny how he’s only been a problem when Mourinho didn’t get his latest expensive toys isn’t it? Remind me again who gave him a new deal after flirting with PSG (who never wanted him) just in January? Why get into bed with someone again when he’s a useless @#%&!? Hmmm.

I suppose the manager will look back to last summer when he didn’t get Persic because the club didn’t think he was worth the daft money Inter wanted. Still how did it work out buying Sánchez (similar age) a player the manager wanted? Hmmm.

Then there’s this summers defender shambles, the same Maguire who went for peanuts last summer when we bought Lindelof. Again big bad Ed for not buying him last summer when the manager wasn’t interested until this summer. I suppose he handled it well did Mourinho, put the club first.. hmm.

This isn’t the cool thing to say, but Woodward should be disapointed as the fans he backed him, and it’s never been good enough. He’s made mistakes in the past but no manager has had more backing post Ferguson than Mourinho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Spot on.

Woody isn't the problem. He's backed Mou like he backed LVG. Woodward isn't the reason why the squad hates Mourinho and aren't playing for him...

Unread 29-09-2018, 11:15 PM
ScarFace

United deny blah blah. They'll wait until Dec. Chelsea got rid Dec 15th.

Unread 29-09-2018, 11:18 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Spot on.

Woody isn't the problem. He's backed Mou like he backed LVG. Woodward isn't the reason why the squad hates Mourinho and aren't playing for him...
He did employ him, so...

Unread 29-09-2018, 11:21 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
United deny blah blah. They'll wait until Dec. Chelsea got rid Dec 15th.
I could see it dragging on if we win a couple, lose a couple, etc.

If we lose on Tuesday you'd think that'd be it. If he's gonna go, the sooner the better.

Unread 29-09-2018, 11:22 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
He did employ him, so...
So what?

Maria Júlia Carrajola dos Santos gave birth to him but she's not the reason he gets his team to play football like someone trying to drag a trolley with a faulty wheel.

Unread 29-09-2018, 11:25 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
So what?

Maria Júlia Carrajola dos Santos gave birth to him but she's not the reason he gets his team to play football like someone trying to drag a trolley with a faulty wheel.
Fair point.

Looking forward to seeing Woodward’s 4th manager appointment in six years now tbf

Unread 29-09-2018, 11:26 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
I could see it dragging on if we win a couple, lose a couple, etc.

If we lose on Tuesday you'd think that'd be it. If he's gonna go, the sooner the better.
We won't though. We'll pick up some decent results. We are a mess, but we're not so awful that we'll lose 3 or 4 consecutive games, which is what would need to happen for them to pull the plug this early.

Like we did against Burnley, Watford & Young Boys, We'll rally for a bit. Confidence will lift, hope will return.... But an inevitable bad result will be around the corner.

That dynamic will continue until each objective becomes less likely. When they aren't achievable, that's when we'll pull the plug.

If this continues, Christmas. If we improve slightly, the end of the season.

Unread 29-09-2018, 11:29 PM
Bunker Buster

Woodward gets a lot of stick but;

Moyes - pains me to say but as was explained in his book, it was Fergies decision

LVG - A GOOD appointment, deserved longer, sacked as the fa cup was still being held up at Wembley...

Mou - hot name on everyone's lips...available and had past success.....

Unread 29-09-2018, 11:36 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Woodward gets a lot of stick but;

Moyes - pains me to say but as was explained in his book, it was Fergies decision

LVG - A GOOD appointment, deserved longer, sacked as the fa cup was still being held up at Wembley...

Mou - hot name on everyone's lips...available and had past success.....
Zidane- hot name on everyone's lips...available and had past success...

The commmon theme with the appointments we’ve made under Woodward is they’ve all been out of work at the time.

The sacking of Van Gaal and how Woodward was happy to go in a completely different direction with Mou is one of the reasons I have zero confidence in him.

Unread 29-09-2018, 11:37 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
We won't though. We'll pick up some decent results. We are a mess, but we're not so awful that we'll lose 3 or 4 consecutive games, which is what would need to happen for them to pull the plug this early.

Like we did against Burnley, Watford & Young Boys, We'll rally for a bit. Confidence will lift, hope will return.... But an inevitable bad result will be around the corner.

That dynamic will continue until each objective becomes less likely. When they aren't achievable, that's when we'll pull the plug.

If this continues, Christmas. If we improve slightly, the end of the season.
Last three games are a draw at home to Wolves and defeats to Derby and West Ham. It's not far off.

Unread 29-09-2018, 11:40 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

The commmon theme with the appointments we’ve made under Woodward is they’ve all been out of work at the time.

The sacking of Van Gaal and how Woodward was happy to go in a completely different direction with Mou is one of the reasons I have zero confidence in him.
It kind of helps that they are so you can employ them

It's also why we should go Carrick and McKenna till the summer and really go hard for the right man (Poch imo)

I think a lot of people put a lot on Woodward as well, there is a board in plac he isn't the only mover and shaker at United....

Unread 29-09-2018, 11:40 PM
Buck

Quote:

Moyes wasn't out of work

Unread 29-09-2018, 11:41 PM
AK14

Quote:
Moyes wasn't out of work
His contract was up with Everton.

Unread 29-09-2018, 11:41 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Moyes wasn't out of work
Correct, he was actually told be Fergies though not to sign his new contract as he would be picking him up the following year to manager us

(Just been sick in my mouth)

Unread 29-09-2018, 11:42 PM
Switching Off

Quote:

It's also why we should go Carrick and McKenna till the summer and really go hard for the right man (Poch imo)

I think a lot of people put a lot on Woodward as well, there is a board in plac he isn't the only mover and shaker at United....
Can't forgive Woodward for his comments pre Leicester. Massive #@&%! move and he deserves all the criticism coming his way for it. Set the tone for what we're seeing now.

Unread 29-09-2018, 11:45 PM
AK14

Quote:

You honestly think we’d pay the compensation to get Pochettino out of Spurs...

No chance of that happening.

Unread 29-09-2018, 11:47 PM
Buck

Believe me I have a ton of criticisms of the board over the years but they don't run training, they don't pick the team and they don't set the tactics. Woodward isn't telling Mourinho to play 7 at the back just like he didn't tell Van Gaal to aim for 70% possession or for Moyes to sling in 70 crosses. This club is one of the few in world football to allow the manager a large amount of autonomy. It's about getting the right man in who has the ideals suited for what we expect - Mourinho had the CV but the doubt was always about the style which is why he didn't get the job in 2013.

Moreover another reason I don't criticise the board for on field activities is every club up and down the land thinks their board are holding them back. It's perfectly valid in many cases, but a convenient excuse in some and when a board has facilitated around £700m in signings in 5 years, with relatively little coming back the other way, it's hard to take seriously.

Unread 29-09-2018, 11:49 PM
Switching Off

Quote:

£42m apparently. Cost of an average player.

Unread 29-09-2018, 11:49 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

What figure we looking at in the off season ?

We've paid enough stupid money out recently...dropping nearly 200m on pogba and Lukaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
£42m apparently. Cost of an average player.

Deliver it in £#%&!ing £5's

ON

Unread 29-09-2018, 11:54 PM
AK14

Quote:
Believe me I have a ton of criticisms of the board over the years but they don't run training, they don't pick the team and they don't set the tactics. Woodward isn't telling Mourinho to play 7 at the back just like he didn't tell Van Gaal to aim for 70% possession or for Moyes to sling in 70 crosses. This club is one of the few in world football to allow the manager a large amount of autonomy. It's about getting the right man in who has the ideals suited for what we expect - Mourinho had the CV but the doubt was always about the style which is why he didn't get the job in 2013.

Moreover another reason I don't criticise the board for on field activities is every club up and down the land thinks their board are holding them back. It's perfectly valid in many cases, but a convenient excuse in some and when a board has facilitated around £700m in signings in 5 years, with relatively little coming back the other way, it's hard to take seriously.
The board are the main culprits in my eyes because of the lack of clear plan in place.

We’ve bounced between completely different types of managers now for six years and the board has signed off on millions to be spent allowing three different managers oversee the transition which has left us with an unbalanced squad of players. That is a sign of a poorly run football club, with no idea what they’re doing on the football side of things.

The managers obviously have a blame in what has/is happening, but for as long as there is no clear structure or plan in place it won’t matter a jot who we have in charge imo, we won’t be challenging for one of the big two trophies.
Closed Thread