United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-07-2017, 01:05 PM
Alex Jones was Right

World class players are as rare as hen's teeth. Ronaldo stood out in one of United's best ever teams. That's world class.

Best, Law and Charlton stood out in one of United's best ever teams. That's world class.

Di Stefano and Puskas stood out in a great Real Madrid team. That's world class.

Gullit, Van Basten and Rijkaard stood out in a great Milan team. That's world class.

There's barely any around today other than Ronaldo and Messi. Both are getting on. United should be scouting their balls off to find the next few in line under 25. Probably under 20 as that's the only way we're going to get one.

Unread 28-07-2017, 01:16 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Possibly hard to put him in the world class category for the same reasons. Cantona had genuine world class ability; one of the most naturally gifted players you'll find. But you could argue his lack of success in European or international football goes against him.
Yeah but he's qualified to comment on managers, right?

Unread 28-07-2017, 01:55 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Yeah but he's qualified to comment on managers, right?
Siders wasn't the one who brought up Eric's opinion of managers

Unread 28-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
ey up siders entourage are in town

Unread 28-07-2017, 01:57 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Wanna crawl your way out of Sider's arse pal?

Unread 28-07-2017, 02:37 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Wanna crawl your way out of Sider's arse pal?
Not particularly. Nice in here.

Unread 28-07-2017, 03:08 PM
lindelof

Quote:
Possibly hard to put him in the world class category for the same reasons. Cantona had genuine world class ability; one of the most naturally gifted players you'll find. But you could argue his lack of success in European or international football goes against him.

Would we see someone who only did it in the current Serie A but not in Europe or international football as world class?
Absolute balls.

He barely played in Europe in 1994/95 because of that stupid foreigner rule.

Didn't play in Europe in 1995/96 because we got beaten by Rotor Volgograd.

We got to the semi final of the CL in 1997.

Didn't really have much of a chance to prove himself but everyone knew he was world class ffs.

Unread 28-07-2017, 03:16 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Not particularly. Nice in here.

Making Whippy look a clown is a 24-hour job. Appreciate the support, pal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindelof
Absolute balls.

He barely played in Europe in 1994/95 because of that stupid foreigner rule.

Didn't play in Europe in 1995/96 because we got beaten by Rotor Volgograd.

We got to the semi final of the CL in 1997.

Didn't really have much of a chance to prove himself but everyone knew he was world class ffs.
Yeah isn't that pretty much in line with what I said? It's not that he couldn't do it, but he didn't prove it.

If you're a huge star in the mid '90s English league, to reach world class status you probably have to go to Italy. Or do it in the European Cup/international level. Think Shearer was linked with Juventus around '95. That was the platform.

Unread 28-07-2017, 03:58 PM
lindelof

Cantona almost joined Inter Milan in 95. Not like he wasn't coveted by the big clubs.

Unread 28-07-2017, 03:58 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Cantona almost joined Inter Milan...
Indeed, was going to use that example but decided to save myself any grief

And again, I reckon Cantona with his head right would have been great in prime Serie A. But it didn't happen, so he didn't prove it.

Unread 28-07-2017, 04:31 PM
lindelof

Quote:
Indeed, was going to use that example but decided to save myself any grief

And again, I reckon Cantona with his head right would have been great in prime Serie A. But it didn't happen, so he didn't prove it.
Ok I'm kind of on your wavelength...

Unread 28-07-2017, 05:41 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
He was a force of nature in a bad league. You could genuinely argue that the '90s Prem was the 4th or 5th best league in Europe. Which would make it similar to be current French league. Like I say it's not that he didn't have the talent; I just think he needed to step up a level.
you could genuinely argue that united were the best team in europe for 3 straight seasons at the end of the 90s as well.

very unlucky to get beat off dortmund, the best team in europe in the 1st half of 97/98 for sure, and treble winners in 98/99

we also beat cruyff's barca at the start of the decade and were an irresistible force in 93 and 94 too, without ever getting the chance to prove it in europe.

Unread 28-07-2017, 06:01 PM
lindelof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
you could genuinely argue that united were the best team in europe for 3 straight seasons at the end of the 90s as well.

very unlucky to get beat off dortmund, the best team in europe in the 1st half of 97/98 for sure, and treble winners in 98/99

we also beat cruyff's barca at the start of the decade and were an irresistible force in 93 and 94 too, without ever getting the chance to prove it in europe.
Spot on, great post.

Unread 28-07-2017, 06:04 PM
suedeshoes

Shearer was absolutely world class. Not prepared to argue with any of you rems about it but he was. So was Eric obv.

Unread 28-07-2017, 06:08 PM
lindelof

If we hadve signed Shearer, we would've beaten Dortmund in 97 and won the Champions League. Remember saying exactly that to my old man when we left Old Trafford after the second leg. I was right then and I'm still right now.

Unread 28-07-2017, 06:12 PM
red in cumbria

Yeah, I know we all like to hate SoP - and for very sound reasons - but there is no doubt IMO that he would have been fantastic for us.

Unread 28-07-2017, 06:13 PM
lindelof

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Yeah, I know we all like to hate SoP - and for very sound reasons - but there is no doubt IMO that he would have been fantastic for us.
Have at least two more CLs to our name that's for sure.

Unread 28-07-2017, 06:34 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

All ifs and maybes though at the end of the day. Much like Shearer's hypothetical success and CL wins for United.

World class is proven in reality not on what ifs.

Quote:
Have at least two more CLs to our name that's for sure.
6 goals in 20 European matches during his heyday.

Unread 28-07-2017, 06:36 PM
andyroo

Worked out all right for us anyway

Unread 28-07-2017, 07:18 PM
lindelof

Quote:
All ifs and maybes though at the end of the day. Much like Shearer's hypothetical success and CL wins for United.

World class is proven in reality not on what ifs.

6 goals in 20 European matches during his heyday.
Irrelevant.

He wasn't playing in a United side.
Closed Thread