United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Part 36 Offer

Default Last night's performance...

worried me a lot. I was not so disheartened last night given I sank a few beers during it. However, taking stock today, I have realised that we defended for literally 90 minutes. Fergie's tactics were absolutely baffling. I think nil nil is the best we could have hoped for given the formation and I think it was what we went for. I am now nervous about saturday given that Fergie has shown he is not afraid to set out his team to play for a draw. I have never seen Rooney so isolated, I actually felt sorry for the lad. Someone sent me a text message last night saying Fergie bottled it - I can now see the logic behind that assertion.

Let's hope we return to the REAL Manchester United way on saturday and Tuesday otherwise we could end up with nothing this season.

Dooooooooooom.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:54 AM
armchair

another vanity thread

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
another vanity thread
bit harsh mate. Just putting my point across. You have to admit we looked uber defensive.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:57 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
bit harsh mate. Just putting my point across. You have to admit we looked uber defensive.
In every single thread started?

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:58 AM
jem

Default we didn't defend

for 90 minutes. we should have had three penalties.

and carrick nearly scored.

:0)

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Whalefish

Looking at it from another side, that's the first time I've actually seen us fill the gaps and defend well away from home in Europe against a good side. Yes they aren't as good as they were a few seasons ago but they've still got more than enough in midfield and up front.

They created a few chances, you expect that but for the most part we defended very well. A patched up back four too. As for the midfield choices and the tactics isloating Ronaldo I can't be arsed worrying about it further. I'd send myself to the nuthouse if I did.

Unread 24-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Looking at it from another side, that's the first time I've actually seen us fill the gaps and defend well away from home in Europe against a good side. Yes they aren't as good as they were a few seasons ago but they've still got more than enough in midfield and up front.

They created a few chances, you expect that but for the most part we defended very well. A patched up back four too. As for the midfield choices and the tactics isloating Ronaldo I can't be arsed worrying about it further. I'd send myself to the nuthouse if I did.
yes Brown and Rio were excellent. The whole back four were actually. I thought Scholesy had a decent game too. I think if you give them time and space they will look good - aesthetically at least. 3-1 United next week.

Unread 24-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Part 36 Offer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
In every single thread started?
ahhh i see what you are saying now

Unread 24-04-2008, 12:06 PM
MJ Ramone

In Roma Fergie had the balls to switch to a 4-4-2 & it changed the game.
Last night we looked like we didn't have the confidence to go & get a goal.
It confirmed my fear that we would put Barca' on a pedestal just because of who they are.

Carrick went back to the 'rabbit in the headlights' form of 18months ago.
Wayne was completely wasted at 'right back' & hardly had a kick all game.
Ronaldo had a couple of decent moments, I'm not too fussed about his Pen miss..that happens, but I do get sick of him on the floor flapping his arms about every time he's tackled. It's a self indulgent side of his game that lets him down at times.
Park & Tevez were alomst as annonymous as Wayne if not more so.
Scholesy played well but he needed better support than what he got.

The Back 4 & keeper were outstanding.

Fergie spoke of the importance of an away goal, yet we didn't get one.
We've got to really £#%&!ing step it up next Tuesday, but you do worry that it's got 'score draw' written all over it
Hope I'm wrong.

A good result on Saturday gives us the Title though, so reason's to be cheerful & all that

Unread 24-04-2008, 12:12 PM
keano's love

On tuesday,

It has to be Rooney up front. no flirting with ronaldo.

Rooney wreaking havoc near the penalty area, nani and ronaldo to rip down the wings.

Anderson, carrick and hargreaves in middle.

Unread 24-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
On tuesday,

Rooney wreaking havoc near the penalty area, nani and ronaldo to rip down the wings.

That'll do me cyril.

Unread 24-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Has to be cyril's formation there. Otherwise I'll £#%&!ing puke.

Unread 24-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
In Roma Fergie had the balls to switch to a 4-4-2 & it changed the game.
Last night we looked like we didn't have the confidence to go & get a goal.
It confirmed my fear that we would put Barca' on a pedestal just because of who they are.

Carrick went back to the 'rabbit in the headlights' form of 18months ago.
Wayne was completely wasted at 'right back' & hardly had a kick all game.
Ronaldo had a couple of decent moments, I'm not too fussed about his Pen miss..that happens, but I do get sick of him on the floor flapping his arms about every time he's tackled. It's a self indulgent side of his game that lets him down at times.
Park & Tevez were alomst as annonymous as Wayne if not more so.
Scholesy played well but he needed better support than what he got.

The Back 4 & keeper were outstanding.

Fergie spoke of the importance of an away goal, yet we didn't get one.
We've got to really £#%&!ing step it up next Tuesday, but you do worry that it's got 'score draw' written all over it
Hope I'm wrong.

A good result on Saturday gives us the Title though, so reason's to be cheerful & all that
pretty accurate post that Woody. I fancy us to win on saturday and tuesday provided we never ever ever play that %@#$&!s system again.

Unread 24-04-2008, 12:25 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
On tuesday,

If that midfield and attack starts, we have a great chance, however, it probably won't.

Score draw imo.

Unread 24-04-2008, 12:27 PM
keano's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
If that midfield and attack starts, we have a great chance, however, it probably won't.

Score draw imo.
I don't think I will be able to take that. getting knocked out for 3rd time on away goals rule. I will probably cry the night out.

How dissapointing it will be when we know we are the best team in the continent, best player in the continent, league champions and yet see one of the 2 dull and lucky as £#%&! sides scab yet again to champions league win.

Unread 24-04-2008, 12:45 PM
S/Side.Red

You simply can't say Park, Wayne and Tevez were anonymous and then praise the defence - they were part of the defence. All three of the above players were given roles which sacrificed their natural game in order to stop Barca playing. They may have seen little of the ball but chances are they contributed largely to us keeping a clean sheet because United’s whole objective seemed to be to stop Barca.

The lads did a fantastic job of executing the gameplan Fergie/CQ set out for them. Whether or not the approach was the correct one is a different matter, of course, but I think they deserve a lot of credit for the job they did. The level of concentration in terms of positioning, tracking of runs etc was very good; I can't remember the last time Barca had so much possession at the Camp Nou but created very little. I'm sure their players are deeply concerned at how comfortably we held them at bay having allowed them the initiative for pretty much the entire game.

The lack of ambition in terms of attacking was a little disappointing, but I'll reserve judgement on whether Fergie got it right until after the second leg. It is half time, after all, and if we go on to beat Barca at Old Trafford - and I think we will - then I'll accept what he did last night. After all, I doubt many would have complained had we produced last night's performance and result in the San Siro last year.

Unread 24-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Whalefish

Gray, Souness and Wilkins all spoke about certain players putting in selfless performances.

Unread 24-04-2008, 12:54 PM
armchair

Park is Shadow Chaser

Unread 24-04-2008, 02:06 PM
MJ Ramone

We played for a 0-0 last night. The Pen would have been an unexpected bonus.

When I saw the teamsheet I thought, £#%&!ing get in!..we're going 4-4-2 & going for it.

I didn't expect Rooney & Tevez, rather than play as a front 2 would play as defensive shields for the ENTIRE £#%&!ing 90minutes.
Ronaldo up top on his own is a waste of time as well.

Personally I'd have played a 4-3-3 with Anderson instead of Park & I'd have played Ronaldo right, Tevez left & Rooney through the middle.

The only explanation I have for Rooney not once being put up front was that he's carrying a knock & was told to just sit in & do a job.

Shame really. This time yesterday I was so £#%&!ing excited because of the potential feast of football.
Barcelona had 73% (SEVENTY THREE!) of possession.

I thought we were very poor to be honest.

Unread 24-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
We played for a 0-0 last night. The Pen would have been an unexpected bonus.

When I saw the teamsheet I thought, £#%&!ing get in!..we're going 4-4-2 & going for it.

I didn't expect Rooney & Tevez, rather than play as a front 2 would play as defensive shields for the ENTIRE £#%&!ing 90minutes.
Ronaldo up top on his own is a waste of time as well.

Personally I'd have played a 4-3-3 with Anderson instead of Park & I'd have played Ronaldo right, Tevez left & Rooney through the middle.

The only explanation I have for Rooney not once being put up front was that he's carrying a knock & was told to just sit in & do a job.

Shame really. This time yesterday I was so £#%&!ing excited because of the potential feast of football.
Barcelona had 73% (SEVENTY THREE!) of possession.

I thought we were very poor to be honest.
Fergie had the players available to play the 4-3-3 he has used in big games, perhaps he thought that Carrick, Scholes and Anderson would not be strong enough defensively or worried about Hargreaves at right back. Putting Tevez in as defensive midfielder was a bizaare choice, it may not have been what Fergie intended, but it was how it ended up. The choice of Park is also totally negative.

It may end up being a good result, but we all wanted to see Utd go there, at a great venue, on the big occasion and show how far we have come by trusting ourselves.

We ended up playing like Liverpool, totally defensive and negative. It does not have to be 4-4-2, all out attack, but show some courage on the ball. This group of Utd players are techically adept, with the ability to keep the ball far better than they did last night.

Not to sound like a spoilt kid, but the style of performance was slightly embarrassing.
Closed Thread