United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-06-2014, 06:57 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Jian
Which is why Koke and Vidal should be our top targets, but they'll probably go to Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Probably also worth pointing out that we need a right-back aswell as a left-back and centre-back.
Would be happy with that, especially as Juve continue to be rumoured as having Vidal on the market at a reasonable price.

PSG also apparently prepared to sell Verratti.

Barkley should be United's no1 target imo.

Unread 06-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Would be happy with that, especially as Juve continue to be rumoured as having Vidal on the market at a reasonable price.

What is reasonable? Certainly we could afford to blow up to £40m on a young midfielder.

Veratti is a good, young player, but as Dunk has intimated, would he be a good partner for Strootman or Schweinsteiger? None of those three have much pace or dribbling ability.

I think Barkley would cost more than anyone at United would be willing to pay. Imagine if he has a good World Cup. That £50m+ price-tag becomes a reality.

Unread 06-06-2014, 07:08 PM
dunk

Don't see Barkley moving just yet, and if he did, he looks to want to be in the position that Kagawa, Mata and Rooney want to occupy rather than a deeper role, which is what we lack.

Unread 06-06-2014, 07:17 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:

We already have too many number 10s so Barkley doesn't make any sense at the moment

We need two genuine top class experienced central midfielders this summer

Unread 06-06-2014, 07:25 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
What is reasonable? Certainly we could afford to blow up to £40m on a young midfielder.

Veratti is a good, young player, but as Dunk has intimated, would he be a good partner for Strootman or Schweinsteiger? None of those three have much pace or dribbling ability.

I think Barkley would cost more than anyone at United would be willing to pay. Imagine if he has a good World Cup. That £50m+ price-tag becomes a reality.
Word seems to be that Vidal can be bought for £35m. Given he's just turning 27, that's a pretty reasonable fee.

Agree about combinations. Strootman will get badly exposed as the defensive midfielder, so pairing him with someone like Schweinsteiger wouldn't make much sense. Van Gaal likes Strootman in the context of the Dutch side, where his options are limited. I expect anything else is guesswork, just like it was when they suggested Kluivert would be on his staff. Kluivert wanted to come, LvG didn't take him.

For me, Barkley is more than a pure no10 because of his athleticism. Could be the player Ando should have been

Unread 06-06-2014, 07:53 PM
taff

Quote:
For me, Barkley is more than a pure no10 because of his athleticism. Could be the player Ando should have been
will be, pal. will be.

Unread 06-06-2014, 08:40 PM
rafabio

Quote:
Word seems to be that Vidal can be bought for £35m. Given he's just turning 27, that's a pretty reasonable fee.

Agree about combinations. Strootman will get badly exposed as the defensive midfielder, so pairing him with someone like Schweinsteiger wouldn't make much sense. Van Gaal likes Strootman in the context of the Dutch side, where his options are limited. I expect anything else is guesswork, just like it was when they suggested Kluivert would be on his staff. Kluivert wanted to come, LvG didn't take him.

or maybe he wasn't allowed to.

Barkley is neither a no 10 nor a centre midfielder. More like gerrard who is neither there nor here but not as good as gerrard. I expect in another couple of seasons hype would have died down bit like rodwell

Unread 06-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Shooter McGavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
will be, pal. will be.

Unread 06-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio

Barkley is neither a no 10 nor a centre midfielder. More like gerrard who is neither there nor here but not as good as gerrard. I expect in another couple of seasons hype would have died down bit like rodwell
Yeah he's a no.8 who should be the furthest forward of a midfield three.

Would people say it's worth splashing £50m on him? - bearing in mind our real transfer budget is probably £80m, £100m tops.

Unread 06-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
We already have too many number 10s so Barkley doesn't make any sense at the moment

We need two genuine top class experienced central midfielders this summer

Unread 06-06-2014, 09:42 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio

Goodness me. Thats £#%&!wittery even for you.

Unread 06-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Michael Myers

Neo nails it. If he avoids injury Barkley will be one of the best midfielders in the league. He'd thrive at United.

Unread 06-06-2014, 11:34 PM
rafabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Goodness me. Thats £#%&!wittery even for you.
lets see in a couple of years shall we?

Unread 07-06-2014, 03:08 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Barkley isn't good enough for united yet. Or at least the standard of what a united player should be. Not as good as Ronaldo or Rooney at that age. Another year or two maybe. There's no rush.

Unread 07-06-2014, 03:35 AM
guerreiro

Let's not go jumping into bed with another £#%&!ing scouser already

Unread 07-06-2014, 03:56 AM
ryanMUFC

If he was Dutch i doubt people would be raving about him. I remember Leon Osman looking decent at first too. Id rather we bought a world beater instead of a potential one. Especially this season we need to make big signings to catch up with everyone elses squad.

Unread 07-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Marvel7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
If he was Dutch i doubt people would be raving about him. I remember Leon Osman looking decent at first too. Id rather we bought a world beater instead of a potential one. Especially this season we need to make big signings to catch up with everyone elses squad.
Very much this. When a team has a set squad, all positions sorted, challenging for all honours, then we should be looking at the Barkleys of this world. For what it's worth I think Barkley will make a great player, but I want signings this season of established top quality know what we're getting players.

Unread 07-06-2014, 12:45 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Would people say it's worth splashing £50m on him? - bearing in mind our real transfer budget is probably £80m, £100m tops.
I think so. United could feasibly bring in a lot of money this summer. Just by cutting loose the shite from our squad we could raise £50m or so, which would cover Barkley. That's even without the possible departures of Nani and Chicharito.

Then £100m or so should be enough to get Shaw, Hummels and Vidal

Unread 07-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Denis Irwell

there is Malky's funeral bash, the shareholders and of course, the debt/interest....

still, if we get 25m for wiggy as well as the aforementioned, big Louis should have enough to sort it.

Barkles? no chance...the berts will ruin him in about 2/3 years time

Unread 07-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Neo

Quote:
I think so. United could feasibly bring in a lot of money this summer. Just by cutting loose the shite from our squad we could raise £50m or so, which would cover Barkley. That's even without the possible departures of Nani and Chicharito.

Then £100m or so should be enough to get Shaw, Hummels and Vidal
It's so £#%&!ing simple, isn't it. Get those four in and it would be a better squad that anything Fergie had.

You just know that we won't get any of them though. Van Gaal will bring in a few young Dutch lads, and maybe a reliable veteran like Schweinsteiger to be the 'marquee' signing.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Shaw deal falls through either, considering we've failed to wrap it up. I can see Chelsea coming in for him after the World Cup. Vidal is a ridiculous pipe dream; he'll go to either Barca, Madrid or PSG who are all in the market for central midfielders this summer. As if Woodward is gonna compete against them. :shakehead:
Closed Thread