United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-10-2010, 02:50 PM
fix up look SHARPE

Thumbs down Re: Goalkeepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Apparantly not given that you've just brought it up. now £#%&! off.

Unread 18-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Grimson

Default Re: Goalkeepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsdreads
Funny that it is coming after a high profile clanger - well not really just means the issue has stayed in mind a bit longer.

Seen a bit of Akinfeev on ESPN who now do the Russian football.

Any notion of Shay Given being our number 1 should go no further - he might save plenty of shots, however in terms of bossing his team he's got to be the worst in the league. I've never known a keeper who has such little organisation that he has to save upwards of 10 shots/game.
That's an astute point about Given. Unfortunately it applies equally to Akinfeev - he stays planted on his line and makes a lot of basic errors.

DeGea and Lloris are both very promising. Gomes is proven in the Prem but I can't see that one happening.

Unread 18-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Zorg

Unread 18-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Grimson

Unread 18-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Looks like your dog on the kitchen floor.

Unread 18-10-2010, 03:38 PM
tomsdreads

Quote:
That's an astute point about Given. Unfortunately it applies equally to Akinfeev - he stays planted on his line and makes a lot of basic errors.

DeGea and Lloris are both very promising. Gomes is proven in the Prem but I can't see that one happening.
Re Gomes, he certainly is impressive, however given his start at Tottenham should he suffer a similar bedding in period, would he be able to recover at United? Not sure it's a risk worth taking.

Lloris looks lightweight, and was very shaky in the latter stages of the Champions League last season, never seen DeGea play, could someone please educate me?

Also heard that Neuer has been highlighted as a potential target.

Akinfeev is CSKA captain too, and seems to be vocal enough to organise his defence, wasn't like we were peppering the CSKA goal last season, and I thought he did well in that game. Recently in the Moscow derby he did have a stormer against Spartak.

Unread 18-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Grimson

Hidden in the French debacle at the World Cup, Lloris played well - had a blinder in their last game. He's also been in cracking form early this season.

I don't think Gomes was having trouble bedding in at his knew club so much as his new league. Since that period I'd be hard-pressed to name a better keeper.

Akinfeev is a line keeper so there will be games where he makes a lot of saves and looks good. But he's no better a shot stopper than Kooshak, but he's a few inches shorter and really does not come off his line much (and only punches when he does).

There was interest in him from a few clubs after his good display at Old Trafford, and that interest has now died out. Even Arsena never came knocking. There's a reason for that.

Unread 18-10-2010, 03:50 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
The gimps will be in for him - "value" exemplified. Nqat

Unread 18-10-2010, 03:53 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Re Gomes, he certainly is impressive, however given his start at Tottenham should he suffer a similar bedding in period, would he be able to recover at United? Not sure it's a risk worth taking.

Lloris looks lightweight, and was very shaky in the latter stages of the Champions League last season, never seen DeGea play, could someone please educate me?

Also heard that Neuer has been highlighted as a potential target.

Akinfeev is CSKA captain too, and seems to be vocal enough to organise his defence, wasn't like we were peppering the CSKA goal last season, and I thought he did well in that game. Recently in the Moscow derby he did have a stormer against Spartak.
De Gea is a must, saying that we aint got the cash available to buy him (£12m+) so £#%&! knows who we'll end up with

Unread 18-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Rhodzy

What happened to Asenjo, is he still at Atletico?

Unread 18-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
What happened to Asenjo, is he still at Atletico?
Yes, as number two to DeGea.

Unread 18-10-2010, 04:14 PM
rafabio

Hugo Lloris? haha we are £#%&!ing skint. He would cost the best part of 30m (remind yourselves that we will be dealing with Lyon)

Unread 18-10-2010, 05:14 PM
King Schlong

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Apparantly not given that you've just brought it up. now £#%&! off.

Unread 18-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Looks like your dog on the kitchen floor.

Unread 18-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Baron

Quote:
It's been something that's been on my mind for a while now, since midway through last season, but I think edwin van der Sar seems to have lost his command of our defence, and his confidence in general seems to be down on what it once was.

If you agree or disagree it still doesn't hide the point that he is getting on a bit, and does need replacing some time soon.

Forgetting funds for a minute, who out there is a worthy successor to VDS?

PIG certainly isn't up to the job and I'd add that their isn't a keeper currently playing in this country who is. Personally Igor Akinfeev has to be the stand out choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
Hugo Lloris? haha we are £#%&!ing skint. He would cost the best part of 30m (remind yourselves that we will be dealing with Lyon)
Read the bit in bold you £#%&!ing flid.
Closed Thread