United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-05-2007, 09:39 PM
S/Side.Red

Default Heinze as captain

Given the armband ahead of the likes of Rooney, Ole and van Der Sar.

Seems like a tactical move from Fergie, ahead of Heinze's summer decision on his future.

I thought he might let him leave, but that to me is a show of appreciation from the manager aimed at keeping him at the club.

Unread 13-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Given the armband ahead of the likes of Rooney, Ole and van Der Sar.

Seems like a tactical move from Fergie, ahead of Heinze's summer decision on his future.

I thought he might let him leave, but that to me is a show of appreciation from the manager aimed at keeping him at the club.

Captain for his farewell appearance.

Unread 13-05-2007, 09:54 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

I was thinking that myself, i think the last couple of weeks Heinze has been doing really well.

Sell Silvestre and not him.

Unread 13-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
I was thinking that myself, i think the last couple of weeks Heinze has been doing really well.

Probably get more money for Heinze, higher profile player with influential international teammates all across Europe to vouch for him.

Silvestre has always had a clownish reputation, despite the fact that he probably a better player than Heinze.

We need to lose 1/2 CB options if Pique is going to get his deserved chance.

Unread 13-05-2007, 10:01 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
Captain for his farewell appearance.
Because Fergie has a long history of treating players he is about to £#%&! off with such respect?

Quote:

Yep. Saw an interview with Fergie where he talked about how well Heinze had done to come in and play with an injury when the team really needed him. He made a point of highlighting him when praising the small squad of players that have done the job in recent weeks.

Like I say, Fergie rarely affords such sentimental gestures to players before flogging them. He knows Heinze will be considering his future now that Evra is first choice, but by giving him a long run in central defence and making him captain, he's trying to convince him that he's still appreciated at the club.

I'd sooner get rid of Silvestre and O'Shea than Heinze.

Unread 13-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Because Fergie has a long history of treating players he is about to £#%&! off with such respect?

Yep. Saw an interview with Fergie where he talked about how well Heinze had done to come in and play with an injury when the team really needed him. He made a point of highlighting him when praising the small squad of players that have done the job in recent weeks.

Like I say, Fergie rarely affords such sentimental gestures to players before flogging them. He knows Heinze will be considering his future now that Evra is first choice, but by giving him a long run in central defence and making him captain, he's trying to convince him that he's still appreciated at the club.

O'Shea has proved his an integral part of the squad. He won't be let go.

In fact, him and Fletcher (along with Carrick) were mentioned in the interview you commented upon.

Unread 13-05-2007, 10:07 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:

I just hope Gabby stays because he's a valuable squad member who has had a poorish season but cuts out the fancy shit and defends.

He wasn't a first teamer but he's come out with a championship winning medal surely that's more important than playing games every week?

Unread 13-05-2007, 10:10 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I just hope Gabby stays because he's a valuable squad member who has had a poorish season but cuts out the fancy shit and defends.

He wasn't a first teamer but he's come out with a championship winning medal surely that's more important than playing games every week?
I agree. I don't think he's had a particularly good season, but I'm pretty confident that, with a full pre-season, he'll be back to his best next year. Anyway, I think he's a player you shouldn't sell if you don't have to. I fail to see how we'd be better of without him than with him.

Unread 13-05-2007, 10:13 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
O'Shea has proved his an integral part of the squad. He won't be let go.

In fact, him and Fletcher (along with Carrick) were mentioned in the interview you commented upon.
Whatever, he's still dog shit.

Unread 13-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
Whatever, he's still dog shit.

Don't be stupid.

His contribution has been outstanding the last few months, even his harshest critics can not deny him that.

Is it a coincidence he is playing well after gaining match fitness and momentum, as opposed to a couple of months back when he was playing poorly when he only played once a month

Unread 13-05-2007, 10:41 PM
TreeFiddy

I wouldn't say he's playing well. He's done ok at times and scored some important goals by being in the right place at the right time after scrambles in the box. He's still been the 9th 10th or 11th best United player on the pitch for all of the games though.

Unread 13-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Part 36 Offer

Pure ignorance Mr Fiddy.

You have always slagged him off so it's hardly suprising that you need to protect your pride

Unread 13-05-2007, 10:49 PM
TreeFiddy

Not at all. I call things how I see them.

Fletcher has improved over the course of this season and I now think he's worth having as a squad player whereas I previously wanted him to be sold.

O'Shea has done ok and he's useful because he can play in many positions but he's not really very good anywhere on the pitch. He's just not up to the standard that United should be striving for. If he hadn't scored against Liverpool and Everton (two goals that were not related to his overall performances) most people would still think he's shit. I'm not so easily persuaded.

And just to show that it works both ways, I used to think Heinze was a good player but I no longer rate him at all.

I merely call things how I see them and I don't have to worry about my 'pride'. I just want what's in the best interest of the team.

Unread 14-05-2007, 12:03 AM
armchair

as i've said elsewhere, there's been some reactionary bullshit about heinze recently and it's been unwarranted. Strange to see some of the super-fans fall into the trap.

#@&%!s to a man.

Unread 14-05-2007, 01:53 AM
TreeFiddy

Reactionary as in criticising players if they play badly?

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Are the players so special that they're beyond criticism? As a fan I feel it's my right to give my opinion on players - good and bad.

I'm not calling anyone a @#%&! or wishing them death etc. I just point out when I don't believe someone is any good. I don't doubt his commitment or work ethic. If he's not playing well enough then I'll tell it how it is. What's the big deal?

Unread 14-05-2007, 05:46 AM
armchair

nothing personal fiddy - just seems he's getting scape-goated on here a bit recently.

Unread 14-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
as i've said elsewhere, there's been some reactionary bullshit about heinze recently and it's been unwarranted. Strange to see some of the super-fans fall into the trap.

#@&%!s to a man.
I've never rated him that highly, so you can get to £#%&!.

As for the armband, I'd have to agree with Carrick. Heinze still has an awful lot of value abroad and I won't be surprised if he's used as part of a swap deal for someone.

Still, I'd rather it be Tweetie but who the £#%&! is going to want to buy a defender with a stupid head?

Unread 14-05-2007, 08:30 AM
antonin jablonsky

Don't we have to keep Gabby due to his being Ronnies best mate?

Unread 14-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Don't we have to keep Gabby due to his being Ronnies best mate?

Unread 14-05-2007, 09:04 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
I've never rated him that highly, so you can get to £#%&!.

As for the armband, I'd have to agree with Carrick. Heinze still has an awful lot of value abroad and I won't be surprised if he's used as part of a swap deal for someone.

Still, I'd rather it be Tweetie but who the £#%&! is going to want to buy a defender with a stupid head?
Do you really think Fergie would go to the trouble of making him captain just to raise his price, though?

Look at Beckham, Ruud, Barthez. He completely froze them out towards the end of their careers, which could only have decreased their value.

I think Fergie sees Heinze as a fighter and a great guy to have around in terms of experience, particularly as I see our summer recruitment being based on youth. He's just turned 29, so he's still at a decent age. I reckon he's trying to keep him here. Remains to be seen whether it will work, as there's been a fair few rumours (denied by the player, publicly at least) that Heinze could be the one to force the issue come summer.
Closed Thread