2:51pm
MJ Ramone Replying to Thread
No Rooney = no chance; United a one man team

Unread 08-03-2010, 03:56 PM
MJ Ramone

Default Re: No Rooney = no chance; United a one man team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
?Isn't there a post of yours on here where you say "I didn't watch the game on saturday"

I think it's probably you who's behind the United are a one man team %@#$&!s tbh
I've since watched the full 90minutes & agree with most people that it was a pretty laboured win...albeit a very important one.

You're obsessed with that 0-0 draw against Inter last season. Get over it man! Berbatov's finest contribution to Champions League football in a red shirt was a 0-0 draw. Fine. Holy 'change the record' StatMan.

I've not said anywhere that I think we're a one man team, however without Rooney & Giggs we lack a 'bit of magic' in the Final third.
In terms of attacking options I think this current squad is pretty weak (in terms of depth) ..very difficult to change a game in a positive sense.

Unread 08-03-2010, 03:57 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Stop stalking me!

Unread 08-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Tumescent Throb

the only person who's mentioned berbatov on this thread is you - in two separate posts now.

great take from scholes btw. superb finish.

Unread 08-03-2010, 04:02 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
the only person who's mentioned berbatov on this thread is you - in two separate posts now.

great take from scholes btw. superb finish.
I mention Berbatov only because if Rooney can't play then Berbatov will start in his place. I thought Berbatov did alright on Saturday tbf, although he never looked a goalscoring threat.

Yep, great goal from Scholesy.

Unread 08-03-2010, 04:14 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Interesting stats, but to be honest the idea of a successful one-man team is completely ridiculous, anyway. Football just doesn’t work like that. I could possibly accept the notion of a struggling team just about keeping their head above water due to the contributions of an exceptional player, but one man being almost exclusively responsible for all the components needed to top the league and win trophies? Not a chance. If you win the league, you do so because you have lots of top players. This is where the murderers have their problems ; they're much more of a one-man team, so they fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
isn't there an irony in your own post?
Quote:
No. They're not successful, are they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
you just said football doesn't work like that. note football in general you were speaking off. And then you ended the post saying scouse were a one man team.
Quote:
I don't believe in successful one-man teams. If you're top of the league and winning trophies, I don't see how that can be all down to one player. The scousers are far more reliant on one player, so they are not successful.
ffs

Unread 08-03-2010, 04:20 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Since i've got Ramone on the hook, United's record when Rooney hasn't started in the league over the last 2 seasons, and bearing in mind he hasn't come off the bench to any really critical effect either in these games, is Plyd 15, Won 13, Drew 1, Lost 1. Which is the same sequence United began the famous 93/94 double season with in the league.
rooney has played 27 of our 29 league games this season (scoring 23 goals), meaning the majority of the games you refer to were last year. i'd suggest rooney is a good deal more critical to our play this year than last, when we had ronaldo to rely on.

one of the league games he missed was saturday's, which was a pretty poor showing overall. can't remember the other one.

Unread 08-03-2010, 06:03 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
rooney has played 27 of our 29 league games this season (scoring 23 goals), meaning the majority of the games you refer to were last year. i'd suggest rooney is a good deal more critical to our play this year than last, when we had ronaldo to rely on.

one of the league games he missed was saturday's, which was a pretty poor showing overall. can't remember the other one.
Everton away....oh hang on

Unread 08-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
Everton away....oh hang on

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk

twas bolton. anyway yeah, good point, he probably is and for the reasons you give too, which leads nicely to the next myth, namely that When Rooney doesn't play the others need to step up to the plate.

This was the same thing that was trotted out last season about Ronaldo's goal-scoring feats. Yet in reality it's just that United play a certain way that generally lends itself to one player getting most of the goals. It's not a hard and fast rule, but generally that's the way it is, no doubt like most teams. As i've said before, most of Ronaldo's goals were virtually straight off the training ground, just as most of Rooney's were, and still are.

Just looking at those stats again, 37 games is one shy of a full title campaign. Yes, there've been random opposition and team selections, and varying degrees of importance on the matches themselves. But most of the opponents have been premiership standard at worst, given the dross currently in the PL. Many of those 37 games might have been about as inspiring as some of our proper PL wins this season and last, but they still represent a good effort. In fact if points were given in those matches United would be well in range for a title-winning performance. W27, D7, L3 equates to 88pts, after all. United's record is what, 92pts from a 42 game season, and91pts from 38?
Closed Thread