United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Tumescent Throb

Question No Rooney = no chance; United a one man team

Remember when people would point to his absence as a reason United lost even when we had Ronaldo as well? But this season has taken it on to a new level, with constant sniping at United calling them a one man team. Only now it's not Ronaldo, it's Rooney. Saturday's MotD "analysis" of the Wolves game gave us a break from this shite, and dug up an interesting stat, which I have helpfully explored further.

Over the last 2 seasons, in the league, United have played 10 times in the league and taken 28pts. In the 'cups' they've played 16 times, winning 11 and losing just 1. Of the 4 draws, 2 were won on penalties and one lost.

In games where Rooney came off the bench United have won 4 out of 5 in the league, with Rooney scoring in 2 of the wins (though neither was the critical goal) and getting sent off in the defeat. In 'cups' he's come on 6 times, inc. 1 defeat, 2 draws and 3 wins. He scored 2 in the win v Gamba. His goal against Villa was his first match-winning goal from the bench since January 2007, where he came on and scored twice in the FA Cup against Portsmouth. In January 2008 he came on and turned the FA Cup tie at Villa, though Ronaldo got the crucial goal.

So, overall (penalties = draws), when Rooney hasn't started the game for United over the past 2 seasons, United's record reads Plyd 37, Won 27, Drew 7, Lost 3.

When he hasn't appeared even off the bench: Plyd 26, Won 20, Drew 5, Lost 1. This season United have scored 12 and conceded 3 in the 8 games Rooney hasn't appeared, winning 7 times and losing at home to Besiktas.

Hope he plays against Milan. But maybe it's not as critical as some would have us believe?

Unread 08-03-2010, 02:57 PM
believe

Default Re: No Rooney = no chance; United a one man team

so do we need him or not?

Unread 08-03-2010, 02:57 PM
MJ Ramone

Oh dear.

Unread 08-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
yeah if we want to get £50's worth

But it can still be a big night...

Unread 08-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Oh dear.
sorry sweetcheeks. sob sob.

Unread 08-03-2010, 03:00 PM
MUFC One Love

The ABUs are embarassing. All we heard was how we're a one man team with Ronaldo etc, we lose him, they say we'll be shit etc. We're doing pretty well this season and now we're a one man team with Rooney.

Unread 08-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Sullingtons

Just wait till Rooney is out and we'll be accused of being a one man-Diouf team.

Unread 08-03-2010, 03:01 PM
borsuk

players like rooney and ronaldo tend to be rested for the relatively easy matches when they get rested at all, but they will always be picked for the biggest and hardest games, which skews the statistics quite a bit.

any hint of united being a one-man team is complete %@#$&!s, though, obviously. any team suffers when they lose one of their best players, simple as that. but if he's out we'll cope, and if we don't cope it's not down to rooney but the rest of the lads.

Unread 08-03-2010, 03:05 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
No. The stats have spoken.
We were magnificent on Saturday.

If I calculate the number of touches Rooney has per game where there has been rainfall on the last Friday of each month I can prove that the dimension between Berbatov's brainwaves & goals per season is in direct contrast to Rooney's affect on the team. Which is infact minimal.
The stats don't lie. They are my gospel.

Unread 08-03-2010, 03:07 PM
MJ Ramone

Thumbs up Re: No Rooney = no chance; United a one man team

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
players like rooney and ronaldo tend to be rested for the relatively easy matches when they get rested at all, but they will always be picked for the biggest and hardest games, which skews the statistics quite a bit.

any hint of united being a one-man team is complete %@#$&!s, though, obviously. any team suffers when they lose one of their best players, simple as that. but if he's out we'll cope, and if we don't cope it's not down to rooney but the rest of the lads.
Yes.

Unread 08-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
We were magnificent on Saturday.
?Isn't there a post of yours on here where you say "I didn't watch the game on saturday"

I think it's probably you who's behind the United are a one man team %@#$&!s tbh

Unread 08-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Tumescent Throb

Rooney has certainly been spared some of the cup ties. Can only really recall the Inter game last season where it was blatantly a tactical decision, though there's probably one or two others. Most of the league games he's missed were through injury i'd guess.

Unread 08-03-2010, 03:36 PM
S/Side.Red

Interesting stats, but to be honest the idea of a successful one-man team is completely ridiculous, anyway. Football just doesn’t work like that. I could possibly accept the notion of a struggling team just about keeping their head above water due to the contributions of an exceptional player, but one man being almost exclusively responsible for all the components needed to top the league and win trophies? Not a chance. If you win the league, you do so because you have lots of top players. This is where the murderers have their problems ; they're much more of a one-man team, so they fail.

Unread 08-03-2010, 03:39 PM
dodger

I still wouldn't play him on weds, we'll be fine and Milan aren't much cop. Get him proper fit ands rested for the league

Unread 08-03-2010, 03:43 PM
rafabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Interesting stats, but to be honest the idea of a successful one-man team is completely ridiculous, anyway. Football just doesn’t work like that. I could possibly accept the notion of a struggling team just about keeping their head above water due to the contributions of an exceptional player, but one man being almost exclusively responsible for all the components needed to top the league and win trophies? Not a chance. If you win the league, you do so because you have lots of top players. This is where the murderers have their problems ; they're much more of a one-man team, so they fail.
isn't there an irony in your own post?

Unread 08-03-2010, 03:45 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
isn't there an irony in your own post?
No. They're not successful, are they?

Unread 08-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Tumescent Throb

Since i've got Ramone on the hook, United's record when Rooney hasn't started in the league over the last 2 seasons, and bearing in mind he hasn't come off the bench to any really critical effect either in these games, is Plyd 15, Won 13, Drew 1, Lost 1. Which is the same sequence United began the famous 93/94 double season with in the league.

Unread 08-03-2010, 03:46 PM
rafabio

Quote:
you just said football doesn't work like that. note football in general you were speaking off. And then you ended the post saying scouse were a one man team.

Unread 08-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
wasted pixels by the looks of it

Unread 08-03-2010, 03:50 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
you just said football doesn't work like that. note football in general you were speaking off. And then you ended the post saying scouse were a one man team.
I don't believe in successful one-man teams. If you're top of the league and winning trophies, I don't see how that can be all down to one player. The scousers are far more reliant on one player, so they are not successful.
Closed Thread