United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-08-2017, 06:57 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
If you want to level what Guardiola and LvG try to achieve with Mou then cool. As I say I can't be arsed pretending they all fall near each other. Mourinho has got far better players now than LvG had, so if it's similarly dull as much of last season there's little excuse or reason, beyond the glaringly obvious that the aesthetics don't concern him.

We can paint Guardiola as the pseudo footballing intellect all we want but City will go about winning the league the right way on the field. They're a soulless cringe-act of a club, but again it's tiresome to me to pretend that I don't envy that aspect.

Happy Friday.
No offence but you're talking absolute shite in this post. I even highlighted your posts in the past, getting excited and giddy at all these great players LvG was buying and bringimg through...

Now Mourinho has far better players than LvG had?

I often think I'm being harsh and just seeking glory, for the want of a better term... But, I always try to be objective. You're just pushing your agendas around any argument you can come up with.

"The football LvG produces"
Oh you can bet your £#%&!ing sex life on it, pal. I'll be calling Mourinho out as soon as he produces LvGs style of football

Unread 11-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Buck

The last two pages................................

Unread 11-08-2017, 06:59 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
The last two pages................................

wish I hadn't bothered...never again

Unread 11-08-2017, 07:00 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
It's the whole farcarde of people who appreciated the style of play previously and wanted Guardiola here now pretending that spoiling the game is no different. I remember how we used to sneer at Mou's Chelsea for their function over flair; I just find the current pretence tedious.

Guardiola has been diversifying his football from the start. Hence the initial desire to chase a Zlatan (originally I believe he wanted Adebayor) to offer a physical focal point to his attack. At Bayern the long ball over the top from Boateng to Lewandowski became a familiar sight, especially against Dortmund's press. He's always known that more strings are needed.
so your issue is that you have always wanted guardiola at united and you have always sneered at mourinho, and now you're determined to continue that. in here i think it's always been pretty much a 50/50 split on people who enjoyed guardiola's barca and people who found it pretty dull. same with mourinho: not everyone will recognise your assertion that all he does is spoil the game. his real team scored over a 100 goals in la liga; last season united made chances for fun in loads of games in the 1st half of the season ...

for me the main difference is that guardiola's system translates to one-off games more easily because the opponent doesn't really make much difference to it. but i mean that as a criticism as well as a compliment - it can work of course, and errors can be forced and holes exploited. but equally it can be stopped and he can then struggle to adjust. by contrast mourinho will allow the forward line to play much more off the cuff and the attacking football can be reminiscent of united teams of the past with chances galore, but come the big games when that is less likely to run the top teams ragged mourinho changes to a more tactical approach and he is a master of setting up to completely control the entire rhythm of a game. it's no coincidence that despite eerie A being in the doldrums mourinho was able to go there and win the treble - i don't think there's another manager who could possibly have done that. he has won the league in 4 different countries too, which is more evidence of his tactical nous. that season in eerie A also saw inter score 75 league goals in 38 matches.

Unread 11-08-2017, 07:02 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
eerie A
Jesus Christ

Unread 11-08-2017, 07:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Jesus Christ

Unread 11-08-2017, 07:20 PM
utd99

Quote:

The deflection onto Van Gaal always says a lot. Anything but discuss the current
You made the very clear statement that Mourinho has far better players than Van Gaal had; I was simply responding to that. In no way can a direct response do a clear statement be construed as a deflection.

So long as you keep implying United was just something that happened to poor defenceless Louie you'll continue to get the same types of rebuttal.

Unread 11-08-2017, 07:37 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
No offence but you're talking absolute shite in this post. I even highlighted your posts in the past, getting excited and giddy at all these great players LvG was buying and bringimg through...

Now Mourinho has far better players than LvG had?

I often think I'm being harsh and just seeking glory, for the want of a better term... But, I always try to be objective. You're just pushing your agendas around any argument you can come up with.

"The football LvG produces"
Oh you can bet your £#%&!ing sex life on it, pal. I'll be calling Mourinho out as soon as he produces LvGs style of football
Nope. During the 15/16 season I regularly said we needed better players. Of course at that time this was seen as an excuse for LvG not getting the best out of them, and that a proper manager would. Then Mou finished 6th and it was decided the players were the issue after all.

United in the second half of last season were dreary to watch, especially given the players they had. Was too much for many to admit of course, so beating Southampton and some garbage in the Europa was enough to distract, which is fair enough.

Quote:
so your issue is that you have always wanted guardiola at united and you have always sneered at mourinho, and now you're determined to continue that. in here i think it's always been pretty much a 50/50 split on people who enjoyed guardiola's barca and people who found it pretty dull. same with mourinho: not everyone will recognise your assertion that all he does is spoil the game. his real team scored over a 100 goals in la liga; last season united made chances for fun in loads of games in the 1st half of the season ...

for me the main difference is that guardiola's system translates to one-off games more easily because the opponent doesn't really make much difference to it. but i mean that as a criticism as well as a compliment - it can work of course, and errors can be forced and holes exploited. but equally it can be stopped and he can then struggle to adjust. by contrast mourinho will allow the forward line to play much more off the cuff and the attacking football can be reminiscent of united teams of the past with chances galore, but come the big games when that is less likely to run the top teams ragged mourinho changes to a more tactical approach and he is a master of setting up to completely control the entire rhythm of a game. it's no coincidence that despite eerie A being in the doldrums mourinho was able to go there and win the treble - i don't think there's another manager who could possibly have done that. he has won the league in 4 different countries too, which is more evidence of his tactical nous. that season in eerie A also saw inter score 75 league goals in 38 matches.
Haven't always sneered at Mou. In fact I expected him post Fergie and was fine with that. Probably stuck up for him more than anyone back in day on here when he was Chelsea boss. I just also haven't done a complete 180 like a child just because he's United manager. I thought he would grow here; that's still very much in doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
You made the very clear statement that Mourinho has far better players than Van Gaal had; I was simply responding to that. In no way can a direct response do a clear statement be construed as a deflection.

So long as you keep implying United was just something that happened to poor defenceless Louie you'll continue to get the same types of rebuttal.
Rebut all you want pal. My defence of LvG has only been vindicated so far by us improving the side and finishing lower in the league.

Unread 11-08-2017, 07:57 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Nope. During the 15/16 season I regularly said we needed better players. Of course at that time this was seen as an excuse for LvG not getting the best out of them, and that a proper manager would. Then Mou finished 6th and it was decided the players were the issue after all.

United in the second half of last season were dreary to watch, especially given the players they had. Was too much for many to admit of course, so beating Southampton and some garbage in the Europa was enough to distract, which is fair enough.

Haven't always sneered at Mou. In fact I expected him post Fergie and was fine with that. Probably stuck up for him more than anyone back in day on here when he was Chelsea boss. I just also haven't done a complete 180 like a child just because he's United manager. I thought he would grow here; that's still very much in doubt.

Rebut all you want pal. My defence of LvG has only been vindicated so far by us improving the side and finishing lower in the league.
honestly have no idea who you're talking about, nor do I give a shit. if you want to have a pop at someone using a reply to my posts as a proxy then you need to get a grip.

that united improved last season isn't actually in doubt to anyone with eyes. that the second half of the season became more complicated because of missed chances and too many draws isn't in doubt either and that's when clinical decisions about how to play and what to target had to be made - personally i was surprised mourinho left it as long as he did to make the call, but the point is that he was in control of events not the other way around.

your disdain for united's europa league run is no surprise, but it does show how out of touch you are with the mood inside old trafford.

as far as the players being good enough is concerned, my own opinion has not changed - we had a very good squad. however, they were imv not (and never likely to be) clever enough to completely change the way they play. however, you cannot talk about united without understanding that the style van gaal wanted was completely counter-intuitive to what the public wants to see. for it to have a chance of working he had to buy well and he had to take the players with him. he bought terribly, and he pretty much lost the players with some of the most bizarre team selections you'll see, selections which often went completely against his own statements - using rooney as the lone frontman going into season 2 deserved to get him the sack on the spot for a start off.

i was delighted van gaal adjusted and went on to win the cup - even hoped it might signal a stay of execution. in reality i accept that actually he'd have used it to dig in and revert to type in season 3. he failed. his time was up.

Unread 11-08-2017, 07:58 PM
utd99

Quote:
Each managerial tenure bleeds into the next. It can't be any other way. Rebuilding means getting rid of rubbish as well as bringing in quality.

Unread 11-08-2017, 08:22 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
honestly have no idea who you're talking about, nor do I give a shit. if you want to have a pop at someone using a reply to my posts as a proxy then you need to get a grip.

that united improved last season isn't actually in doubt to anyone with eyes. that the second half of the season became more complicated because of missed chances and too many draws isn't in doubt either and that's when clinical decisions about how to play and what to target had to be made - personally i was surprised mourinho left it as long as he did to make the call, but the point is that he was in control of events not the other way around.

your disdain for united's europa league run is no surprise, but it does show how out of touch you are with the mood inside old trafford.

as far as the players being good enough is concerned, my own opinion has not changed - we had a very good squad. however, they were imv not (and never likely to be) clever enough to completely change the way they play. however, you cannot talk about united without understanding that the style van gaal wanted was completely counter-intuitive to what the public wants to see. for it to have a chance of working he had to buy well and he had to take the players with him. he bought terribly, and he pretty much lost the players with some of the most bizarre team selections you'll see, selections which often went completely against his own statements - using rooney as the lone frontman going into season 2 deserved to get him the sack on the spot for a start off.

i was delighted van gaal adjusted and went on to win the cup - even hoped it might signal a stay of execution. in reality i accept that actually he'd have used it to dig in and revert to type in season 3. he failed. his time was up.
Talking about anyone who is just revising their view on the manager because he's here. Seems to go for many tbf. You said I've always sneered at Mourinho; utter %@#$&!s. I've been very consistent.

And the mood inside Old Trafford has little to do with anything I've said. I haven't said Mourinho doesn't have the support he needs. That doesn't mean there isn't an element of delusion about it all though. "Got us playing the way United should" indeed

Unread 11-08-2017, 10:28 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Talking about anyone who is just revising their view on the manager because he's here. Seems to go for many tbf. You said I've always sneered at Mourinho; utter balls. I've been very consistent.

And the mood inside Old Trafford has little to do with anything I've said. I haven't said Mourinho doesn't have the support he needs. That doesn't mean there isn't an element of delusion about it all though. "Got us playing the way United should" indeed
Using a terrace song to back up your argument is a hell of a grasp, even for you.

Unread 11-08-2017, 10:34 PM
saffers

Who bumped this thread ffs?

Why are we discussing the dutch fraud again? He's jobless in portugal while mourinho is winning trophies as per. Move on ladz.

Unread 11-08-2017, 10:42 PM
MagnificentSeven

it wasn't all doom and gloom under van gaal. obviously it was a bad period overall and i was glad when he finally went, but there are individual moments and games i look back on fondly. winning four in a row against the scousers, giving city a long overdue battering, unearthing rashford and of course winning the first trophy post fergie.

moyes just gave us nothing. apart from not getting thumped in that first leg against bayern.

Unread 11-08-2017, 11:19 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentSeven
moyes just gave us nothing. apart from not getting thumped in that first leg against bayern.
And the Community Shield, let's never forget that eh. He certainly won't let us, for sure

Unread 11-08-2017, 11:47 PM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
And the Community Shield, let's never forget that eh. He certainly won't let us, for sure
that and the fantastic win against swansea on the opening day.

all downhill from that point.

Unread 11-08-2017, 11:51 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Using a terrace song to back up your argument is a hell of a grasp, even for you.
It was a response to a point that was literally about the vibe on the terraces, pal. Seriously, keep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Who bumped this thread ffs?

Why are we discussing the dutch fraud again? He's jobless in portugal while mourinho is winning trophies as per. Move on ladz.
See avatar, chief

Unread 11-08-2017, 11:53 PM
Stickman

Quote:
See avatar, chief
Top wum

Unread 11-08-2017, 11:54 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Top wum