United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-10-2019, 09:16 PM
rubbernecker

Default Rebuilding with the Yutes

Last season there was a consensus of sorts about rebuilding by playing in the youth . Now all there seems to be is a wall of moaning because we are doing just that.

What exactly did people expect ? Did they really think that by playing Gomez and Greenwood et al we would transform into Barcelona overnight ?

It's 10 games or so in .What's wrong with a little patience and seeing the bigger picture ?

Unread 03-10-2019, 09:56 PM
utd99

Because it’s starting to feel as though, in order to be a patient supporter, you need to go into every game with absolutely zero expectations. Forget wins or trophies, I’m talking about performances, improvements and hope. What we watched today was utter garbage; is that what it is now?

Fergie probably introduced more youth players and rebuilt more teams than any manager of a top club in the last 50 years, and I’m going to say that at no point in his 26 years was it not about winning football matches and playing well now as well as in the future. Now if you comment on what’s happening today you just don’t understand what rebuilding is.

Keano can be extreme as we know, but he made the point clearly on Monday that it’s dangerous to get too caught up in the notion of rebuilds, that all of these people get paid to win matches, and to perform well now. I agree with him.

Unread 03-10-2019, 09:58 PM
Switching Off

No excuse for not having a go. And it doesnt feel like we are having a go at all. If that Abraham shot had gone in instead of hitting the post on day 1 things could be even worse.

I thought we'd struggle to score this season but to not even have an attempt is becoming a theme.

Unread 03-10-2019, 10:01 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
No excuse for not having a go. And it doesnt feel like we are having a go at all. If that Abraham shot had gone in instead of hitting the post on day 1 things could be even worse.

I thought we'd struggle to score this season but to not even have an attempt is becoming a theme.
How much of the match today did we simply waste by knocking the ball about aimlessly? Take a chance ffs; try something. You never know, you might make a name for yourself. People forgive bravery that doesn’t come off, but they won’t forgive a gutless display, blaming everyone around you.

Unread 03-10-2019, 10:02 PM
goldfinger II

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
Last season there was a consensus of sorts about rebuilding by playing in the youth . Now all there seems to be is a wall of moaning because we are doing just that.

What exactly did people expect ? Did they really think that by playing Gomez and Greenwood et al we would transform into Barcelona overnight ?

It's 10 games or so in .What's wrong with a little patience and seeing the bigger picture ?
Exactly.

I wish everyone would just accept that it's going to be a poor season in terms of results, entertainment and goals. It's possible we'll finish in the bottom half of the table, maybe some way down the bottom half.

As nice as it would have been to have a better, more entertaining team whilst the rebuilding process takes place, we didn't do enough business in the summer to make that at all likely. So, we have to make do with what we have now, which is mostly ugly, but will turn into something good if the club stays the course, as Ole is mostly doing the right things.

This constant alarm after every poor or ordinary performance will do no good to anyone. It could even affect the confidence of the young players or worse, prompt Ed into doing something stupid.

Let's at least stop being surprised. This is probably our level for the season.

Unread 03-10-2019, 10:06 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
How much of the match today did we simply waste by knocking the ball about aimlessly? Take a chance ffs; try something. You never know, you might make a name for yourself. People forgive bravery that doesn’t come off, but they won’t forgive a gutless display, blaming everyone around you.
I mean seriously?

After the Pereira posts from a few days ago..

Unread 03-10-2019, 10:09 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II
Exactly.

I wish everyone would just accept that it's going to be a poor season in terms of results, entertainment and goals. It's possible we'll finish in the bottom half of the table, maybe some way down the bottom half.

As nice as it would have been to have a better, more entertaining team whilst the rebuilding process takes place, we didn't do enough business in the summer to make that at all likely. So, we have to make do with what we have now, which is mostly ugly, but will turn into something good if the club stays the course, as Ole is mostly doing the right things.

This constant alarm after every poor or ordinary performance will do no good to anyone. It could even affect the confidence of the young players or worse, prompt Ed into doing something stupid.

I think it’s way more dangerous to convince any professional footballer -no matter what their status- that there’s no expectation on them. Hold them to the highest standards and see who responds, then separate the wheat from the chaff. Pulling on a Man Utd shirt should never come with no expectations. As Sir Matt said, it’s about quality not age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
I mean seriously?

£#%&! off you pest. You’re like a £#%&!ing redundant gnat.

Unread 03-10-2019, 10:11 PM
Ethers

Quote:
I mean seriously?

Massive fan of you calling him out on this at every chance possible, the daft bloke

(Are we allowed to swear in here?)

Unread 03-10-2019, 10:13 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II
Exactly.

Tbh it’s not so much Ole I don’t trust but the people above him

It’s pointless going through all of this if Woodward and co stick their oar in half way through a rebuild like they did to the last two managers and force players onto him, or refuse players he wants etc.

It’s why I think as long as the glazers are here with woody running the show we’d need an absolute world class manager just to paper over the cracks.

utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Massive fan of you calling him out on this at every chance possible, the daft bloke

You two mates now yeah?

Switching Off

Quote:

Unread 03-10-2019, 10:15 PM
AK14

Quote:
I think it’s way more dangerous to convince any professional footballer -no matter what their status- that there’s no expectation on them. Hold them to the highest standards and see who responds, then separate the wheat from the chaff. Pulling on a Man Utd shirt should never come with no expectations. As Sir Matt said, it’s about quality not age.

£#%&! off you pest. You’re like a £#%&!ing redundant gnat.
And yet here you are replying.... again.

Says more about you than me tbh.

You’re just a walking talking contradiction these days.

Quote:
You two mates now yeah?
Someone’s a little jelly.

Unread 03-10-2019, 10:17 PM
Ethers

Quote:
You two mates now yeah?
Mates

He did you up like a kipper, and your utter refusal to admit it is joyous to see.

Unread 03-10-2019, 10:19 PM
AK14

Quote:
Mates

He did you up like a kipper, and your utter refusal to admit it is joyous to see.

Unread 03-10-2019, 10:20 PM
Ethers

Quote:

Unread 03-10-2019, 10:23 PM
utd99

Quote:
Mates

Did me like a kipper.

Do you actually have any football opinions outside “yeah I make you right Bunks”.

Pathetic

Quote:
And yet here you are replying.... again.

Says more about you than me tbh.

You’re just a walking talking contradiction these days.
What I said was very clear, you just didn’t understand it. Then didn’t understand it again...and again.

Unread 03-10-2019, 10:32 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Did me like a kipper.

Do you actually have any football opinions outside “yeah I make you right Bunks”.

Pathetic

Unread 03-10-2019, 10:38 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:

Did anyone say they expected peak Barcelona overnight?

Is this another one of your straw men?

Unread 03-10-2019, 10:46 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Did anyone say they expected peak Barcelona overnight?

Is this another one of your straw men?
That's a question mark at the end it means a question has been asked .

Nothing more nothing less

VS2C someone trying to carry over political disagreements onto a football thread to score an imaginary point

Unread 03-10-2019, 10:53 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
That's a question mark at the end it means a question has been asked .

Nothing more nothing less
But did anyone say they expected Barcelona overnight? Perhaps you could link to the post?

Because if nobody said they expected Barcelona overnight, some might say it is:

Quote:
an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.
Closed Thread