United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 13-03-2024, 08:15 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic View Post
Apology accepted.
Moving past the fact bellers has spent his evening finding a post from 2009, bless him, i'm literally saying exactly the same thing I did then...?

Let me clarify for you.

I think Ince at his best was as good as Keane at his best as a player.

Was he more valuable to United? Absolutely not
Did he win as much? No
Was he as good a captain? No

Hope this helps.

Unread 13-03-2024, 08:42 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley View Post
Moving past the fact bellers has spent his evening finding a post from 2009, bless him, i'm literally saying exactly the same thing I did then...?

Let me clarify for you.

Did he win as much? No

Hope this helps.
I wouldn't go that far, personally.

There's no doubt Ince has been downplayed somewhat by United fans, he was a fantastic player and absolutely crucial to us winning stuff again - no coincidence we won the Cup in his first season and kicked on from there. He never hid and rarely played badly, although I seem to recall him having a particular penchant for ballooning shots over the bar from 25 yards.

But as good as Keane? Eeeeehhhh. Keane was on another level, imo.

Unread 13-03-2024, 08:47 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg View Post

There's no doubt Ince has been downplayed somewhat by United fans, he was a fantastic player and absolutely crucial to us winning stuff again - no coincidence we won the Cup in his first season and kicked on from there. He never hid and rarely played badly, although I seem to recall him having a particular penchant for ballooning shots over the bar from 25 yards.

I think the biggest differencesbetween them wereKeane’s utter selflessness and to win a trophy one day, then immediately move in to winning the next one.

Unread 13-03-2024, 08:48 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg View Post

The overwhelming majority would agree that. I don't think we'll ever see another captain like Keane and I actually also think he was underrated - mostly by non united fans who just saw him as a midfield destroyer. He had so much more to his game, in particular his passing in the final third was overlooked.

We'd all give our right arms for any one of Keane Ince or Robbo at the moment. Maybe casemiro of a few years ago wasn't far off but I get the impression this season he's just not that arsed.

Unread 13-03-2024, 08:50 PM
larry

depressing in a way that whip is as clueless now as he was 5,549 days ago

Unread 13-03-2024, 08:54 PM
RedNick80

Quote:
The overwhelming majority would agree that. I don't think we'll ever see another captain like Keane and I actually also think he was underrated - mostly by non united fans who just saw him as a midfield destroyer. He had so much more to his game, in particular his passing in the final third was overlooked.

We'd all give our right arms for any one of Keane Ince or Robbo at the moment. Maybe casemiro of a few years ago wasn't far off but I get the impression this season he's just not that arsed.
Fair, and well argued about Ince. Can’t understand the opprobrium. Other than from Larry

Unread 13-03-2024, 09:01 PM
Msgr A Brook

My memory might be playing tricks on me but wasn't he a bit shit when he arrived. I seem to remember him being used as a fullback as it looked like he'd never played midfield before. Good player who never lived up his self appointed nickname.

Unread 13-03-2024, 09:54 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Let me clarify for you.

No need to clarify. It was clear from the beginning what you meant and that’s the bit that I and everyone else is saying is %@#$&!s.

Unread 13-03-2024, 10:01 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic View Post
No need to clarify. It was clear from the beginning what you meant and that’s the bit that I and everyone else is saying is %@#$&!s.
I'm devastated

Unread 13-03-2024, 10:11 PM
larry

Quote:
I'm devastated
learning tonight you've been wrong for the last 15 years, it's understandable

Unread 13-03-2024, 10:50 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry View Post
learning tonight you've been wrong for the last 15 years, it's understandable
OK Larry

Unread 14-03-2024, 03:19 AM
believe

Quote:

Let me clarify for you.

Did he win as much? No

Hope this helps.
Spent all morning (10 seconds) like I said with you it’s pretty easy.

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=19

Unread 14-03-2024, 03:40 AM
Medlock

Some you can forgive, some you can't. Not his lad. YSB

Unread 14-03-2024, 05:27 AM
Coracao

Quote:
OK Larry
Take solace in the fact that you're not a shithouse who has to hide behind different log-ins.

Unread 14-03-2024, 08:40 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlock View Post
Some you can forgive, some you can't. Not his lad. YSB
Harsh on Whip

Unread 14-03-2024, 08:46 AM
Whip Hubley

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe View Post
Spent all morning (10 seconds) like I said with you it’s pretty easy.

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=19
that was about 5 replies below the other post clouseau. but again, thanks for making the point that i've held broadly the same view for 15 years.

Unread 14-03-2024, 09:14 AM
believe

Quote:
that was about 5 replies below the other post clouseau. but again, thanks for making the point that i've held broadly the same view for 15 years.
I think you need to look up the definition of same.

Quote:
I didn't say he was better though did I, I said he was arguably as good as in my opinion
Quote:
with regards to ince, as i've stated on here before i believe he was a more accomplished midfielder than keane - i'd have him in a 90's team ahead of keano

Unread 14-03-2024, 09:27 AM
Sparky***

loved him when he played for us

but you can't score against united infront of the kop and then dive into the crowd celebrating and not be tarnished.

that game angered me more than any other i've seen before or since. Irwin getting that bullshit red card and that atrocious penalty decision left me fuming for days.

Unread 14-03-2024, 09:31 AM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky*** View Post

but you can't score against united infront of the kop and then dive into the crowd celebrating and not be tarnished.

that game angered me more than any other i've seen before or since. Irwin getting that bullshit red card and that atrocious penalty decision left me fuming for days.
Still not over it tbh.

A side note, Beckham's cross to Yorke for the opener was his greatest ever cross.

Unread 14-03-2024, 09:43 AM
Medlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky*** View Post

Don't mate

Another one that I'm still apolphletic about is the city at home one where their keeper two footed Rooney in the box. Absolute stonewall penalty and red card. Not given