United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-01-2007, 12:33 PM
borsuk

Default if maureen leaves without winning the premiership again

(or the cl)

how will be seen?

he inherited an impressive squad from ranieri, added one or two players expensively (carvalho and robben being the main ones) and took it to the top of the tree in england, failed to win the cl, and then spent ludicrous sums signing the likes of kezman, ferreira, shevchenko, kalou, wright-phillips, maniche, del horno, ballack, hilario, obi mikel, boulahrouz, a cole and various other examples of dross which i can't remember. the team went backwards.

would a fair summary be that he spent a quarter of a billion pounds to ruin the good squad he inherited? when you look at the signings chelsea have made very few could be termed successes.

(unless my memory is playing up drogba, essien, cech and makalele were all already lined up before he arrived; terry, lampard and cole were already there)

Unread 21-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Filliam H. Muffman

There's no achievement in anything he's done at Chelsea. nft.

He was also very lucky that he arrived in England when Arsenal and United were experiencing a generation change.

Unread 21-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Spiffy

A good motivator who can't spot a decent player. Someone with too much to say who got very bitter very quickly.

Unread 21-01-2007, 12:50 PM
tatty

He'll £#%&! off to inter or rm and over the next few years drift in to obscurity managing a portuguese 2nd division side.

A prize @#%&! who i'm afraid I have to admit I wanted for us for a while.

Unread 21-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Filliam H. Muffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
He'll £#%&! off to inter or rm and over the next few years drift in to obscurity managing a portuguese 2nd division side.

A prize @#%&! who i'm afraid I have to admit I wanted for us for a while.
puressence still do.

Unread 21-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Spiffy

He'd be well suited as a national manager and amazing as this sounds for someone with 4 league titles in 4 years and 2 European trophies, I think he'd be better suited to being a number 2 at a big club.
RM is a good call, he wouldn't get to pick the players they sign.

Unread 21-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Red Caz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filliam H. Muffman

He was also very lucky that he arrived in England when Arsenal and United were experiencing a generation change.
That's the bottom line. Chelsea weren't challenged seriously the last two seasons. He's become a caricature of himself over the last couple of weeks, whining about injuries when he could have bought an entire high quality first team at over £23,000,000 per player and added them to the existing Chelsea squad which wasn't exactly shabby!

Unread 21-01-2007, 01:02 PM
elephantstone

a good manager would have made Chelsea champions with the squad he inherited from Raneri, Mourinho will never have it as good as he has had it Chelsea.

He will probably end up at Benfica in a couple of year win the league a few times and sack it

Unread 21-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Tumescent Throb

On the other hand, he did lead Chelsea to a record 38 game season points total and the best ever defensive record in a 38 game season (might even have beat Liverpool's 42 game record of just 16 goals against if memory serves), and set a new record for the most wins in a 38 game season.

The disruption missing Cech and Terry has caused is surprising, but it's more of an indictement of the club's transfer (Shevchenko and Ballack) and wages (Gallas) policy than Mourinho's management I reckon.

Then again, it's surprising how defeatest he has appeared in interviews about all of this at times. To say he's not surprised that they lost at Anfield was amazing, considering Arsenal went there twice in a week and put 9 past them.

Fair enough, he pointed out that his make-shift central defence couldn't cope with their long ball tactics. But for him to say if United win today it's virtually over was bizarre considering all the stuff he's been saying about our fixture list .

Unread 21-01-2007, 02:12 PM
wee man

He is also an attention seeker . All the trophies he's won he's done something to attract the next days headlines. The great managers lat the players take the credit. Whether the shhhuuuuuuusssssssssing the scousers at Cardiff, taking his medal off and straight down tunnel in Porto CL Final, throwing the medals into the crowd after Premiership trophy. Good manager but with unlimited resources has done only an ok job. No better. Keeps whining about Gallas too. But he hasn't played for months either ffs.

Also and something often forgotten about - I don't like him very much either.

Unread 21-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Billy Baroo

his porto team were cheats and he lies to protect his team and to falsely accuse others

his team play the most boring football i can remember for a top side, worse that arsenal under graham etc when you consider the resources and talent available

@#%&!

Unread 21-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Tumescent Throb

Unread 21-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
his porto team were cheats and he lies to protect his team and to falsely accuse others

his team play the most boring football i can remember for a top side, worse that arsenal under graham etc when you consider the resources and talent available

@#%&!
not even close Billy, come on now they were truly horrible

Unread 21-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Luffy

he'll be viewed however the media decide to brush him aka which story can they run with the longest and make themost money/gain most influence.

a) he is a chelsea hero for leading them to two titles - amazing success for a small club

b) he is the victim of the sheva-roman factor and is made a tragic scapegoat

c) all of the above

I bet on b for the masses and a+b for chelsea fans. c for people who hate chelsea.

Just please god dont let him win the champions league allowing him to storm off taking off his medal and walking off into the sunset as a hero and an idol and walking into any other top job in the world (except ours and arsenals)

please. chelsea billionaires winning the thing would just tarnish everything.

Unread 21-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
not even close Billy, come on now they were truly horrible
read the end of the statement

did i need to add relatively speaking

Unread 21-01-2007, 02:42 PM
puressence

billy you are very angry today

Unread 21-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
read the end of the statement

did i need to add relatively speaking
if they play bad relatively considering how much cash they've got, and considering they've got previously unimaginable cashresources , does that mean they actually play better than has been seen previously and just poorly relatively

Unread 21-01-2007, 02:44 PM
bad_wolf

still got no idea if he is any good or just very very lucky

he is clearly not a bad manager, thats all you an say really

Unread 21-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
if they play bad relatively considering how much cash they've got, and considering they've got previously unimaginable cashresources , does that mean they actually play better than has been seen previously and just poorly relatively
stop that right now

Unread 21-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Lazarus

So far he has been great for a few seasons and then walked before it turns sour.

He certainly has the charisma and intelligence to come into a club and get instant results - playing rather dull and effective football.

For me,this is his real test of management. Guys like Fergie and Wenger have stayed years,steered the ship through troubled waters as well as fine,built new sides.

I just wonder if we may judge Mourinho as a man whose ego ultimately led to him isolating certain players. His record in the transfer marker at Chelsea has been very poor and they even seem to be blocking him signing more players.

However,should they come back in the league and win it..or win the cl then he'll be seen as a great.

Right now he looks like a manager having to earn his corn and struggling to cope when lady luck isn't gazing at him adoringly.
Closed Thread