United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Pick
Through the league 4 8.00%
Through the Europa 44 88.00%
Doesn't matter, we won't be playing cl football next season (the Sparky option) 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 20-03-2017, 10:39 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It's a poll mate.
I'm aware of that, 'mate'

Unread 20-03-2017, 11:55 AM
wiganste

European trophy over 2nd/3rd/4th any day of the week. Couldn't give a flying £#%&! it's a '2nd tier' trophy. Nothing wrong with getting in the habit of winning cups. Opens the door to the Super Cup and the Champions League.

Unread 20-03-2017, 11:55 AM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
European trophy over 2nd/3rd/4th any day of the week. Couldn't give a flying £#%&! it's a '2nd tier' trophy. Nothing wrong with getting in the habit of winning cups. Opens the door to the Super Cup and the Champions League.

Unread 20-03-2017, 12:06 PM
jem

I'll be happy (or unhappy) either way. obviously, a trophy (even three shit ones) is better than no trophy. but I'd like us to be playing well enough to qualify both ways. the either/or mentality doesn't work for me. we cannot rely on one or the other.

Unread 20-03-2017, 12:13 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
You can't understate the importance for a squad of parading a trophy around. Boosts confidence and gets them hungry for more, imo. And it would mean 3 major trophies in a year (yes, 3).
We've been £#%&!ing shit since the last trophy we won tbf.

Unread 20-03-2017, 12:20 PM
Tumescent Throb

2nd, 3rd or 4th - same thing. a late push in the league means £#%&! all next season, absolutely nothing.

we should be looking to prioritise the europa league and do the minimum required to get the points we need in the league. as long as we are able to take the big games seriously i'm confident we have enough to compete and i'll be happy...

Unread 20-03-2017, 12:21 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
A fair point

Unread 20-03-2017, 03:26 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers

Not sure that concept applies outside the big trophies tbh.

Remember when Arsenal won back-to-back FA Cups and it was supposed to instill the winning mentality? The Eastern European clubs used to think success in the Europa would be translated in the Champions League. But levels are levels really.

For me, some big wins in the big Premier League games and/or remaining unbeaten would be a greater sign of progress. As for the prestige element, I doubt many people on here could recall the last five years' Europa finalists, let alone where it was held or the result.

Unread 20-03-2017, 03:28 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

Remember when Arsenal won back-to-back FA Cups and it was supposed to instill the winning mentality? The Eastern European clubs used to think success in the Europa would be translated in the Champions League. But levels are levels really.

For me, some big wins in the big Premier League games and/or remaining unbeaten would be a greater sign of progress. As for the prestige element, I doubt many people on here could recall the last five years' Europa finalists, let alone where it was held or the result.
But the 'set' to complete the trophy 'set' ?

It's literally all people have talked about for years...

Unread 20-03-2017, 03:30 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
But the 'set' to complete the trophy 'set' ?

It's literally all people have talked about for years...
Heard Usain Bolt fancies the silver and bronze before he packs in to complete "the set" etc.

Unread 20-03-2017, 03:31 PM
andyroo

Quote:

Was delighted when Liverpool lost it.

Unread 20-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

You can name where the champions league was held for the last 5 years....?

Jesus.....

By the way, why are you arguing for top 4 when you've voted for the europa. Trolling?

Unread 20-03-2017, 03:34 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
You can name where the champions league was held for the last 5 years....?

Jesus.....

By the way, why are you arguing for top 4 when you've voted for the europa. Trolling?
Probably

I'm arguing for second over the Europa iirc.

Unread 20-03-2017, 03:36 PM
dunk

Quote:
Heard Usain Bolt fancies the silver and bronze before he packs in to complete "the set" etc.
That's not the £#%&!ing same and you know it

Unread 20-03-2017, 03:41 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:

Everything is devalued these days including the CL. Most people on here would struggle to name the last 5 FA Cup finals but winning it in May is still a great memory. You said Arsenal winning the FA Cup didn't give them a boost in subsequent seasons but nor did coming 2nd last year either.

Unread 20-03-2017, 03:42 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
That's not the £#%&!ing same and you know it
Well for United it represents failure. Fergie was right about the Europa - it's a punishment.

Reckon Barca are currently fancying a run in the Europa to complete the set. They've never won it. Niggles at them apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Everything is devalued these days including the CL. Most people on here would struggle to name the last 5 FA Cup finals but winning it in May is still a great memory. You said Arsenal winning the FA Cup didn't give them a boost in subsequent seasons but nor did coming 2nd last year either.
Well I am applying context. Like I say I reckon if United go to City, Arsenal and Spurs, and Chelsea at home etc and we do well, it'll be a huge positive. Obviously Arsenal failing to challenge Leicester after a decade without a league title isn't quite the same.

Anyway, just reeled off host stadiums for the CL back to 2000. God I'm cool.

Unread 20-03-2017, 03:44 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Yep. Second is absolutely nothing, literally no-one cares.
The Europa might be a bit of a joke but it's at least remembered for a few hours afterwards.

Unread 20-03-2017, 03:48 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Yep. Second is absolutely nothing, literally no-one cares.
The Europa might be a bit of a joke but it's at least remembered for a few hours afterwards.
So would wins over Chelsea, Arsenal, City etc imo.

Unread 20-03-2017, 03:50 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Anyway, just reeled off host stadiums for the CL back to 2000. God I'm cool.
Probably a good Sporcle in that.

Unread 20-03-2017, 03:51 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Probably a good Sporcle in that.
Yup, deffo.

What does that mean?
Closed Thread