United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Sixth and struggling against european minnows? Most probably
League cup winners, QF in the europa and 7 points off 4th with a game in hand? Probably not

Unread 17-03-2017, 10:34 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
And who would you suggest were played in their place? Would we be in the position we're in with Rooney or Rashford up top, for example?
Sixth? Probably.

Unread 17-03-2017, 10:37 AM
jem

Quote:
And who would you suggest were played in their place? Would we be in the position we're in with Rooney or Rashford up top, for example?
we could play a front 3 of mkhitaryan, rashford and martial. then we've got young, mata, lingard, rooney. no need to play anyone every game.

midfield, we've got carrick, herrera, blind, valencia, timmeh, schweini.... even fellaini no need to play pogba every game.

perhaps the boro team will give you some indication of how it could be done.

Unread 17-03-2017, 10:41 AM
Billy Redface

There's moments he could have taken Zlatan off. Away at West Brom, home to Sunderland. Busy period where the games were wrapped up. Take him off and, in turn, give Rashford some minutes up front.

Pogba hasn't needed to play as many Europa games as he has either. Another one who is never subbed.

Agree with Whip. We can roll out eyes at it, but it's the reality. Either the players are making up feeling tired and subsequently sabotaging the tangible rewards of their careers.....or they're tired. It happens. It's part of the game. We have seen first hand the difference a week off makes for the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea this season. Liverpool implosion directly synced with playing twice a week.

It's also the trust in the squad. Certain players are flogged because others just aren't as good.

Bellers mentioned the 99 side, but not only were they outstanding and able to beat most teams at 80%, but you could happy drop Yorke and Cole knowing full well you wouldn't lose the threat with Sheringham and Solsljaer coming in. And even that side got tired. History is kind to those performances in the last few weeks. It's easy to forget we huffed and puffed at Blackburn in the last away game of the season. We went behind to spurs and we were second best to bayern for most of the CL final. By that stage, it was all about winning. And we did.

It's all about winning for this side now too because I can't see too many vintage displays on the way. I'll take 12-15 shit 1-0 wins any day.

Unread 17-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
we could play a front 3 of mkhitaryan, rashford and martial. then we've got young, mata, lingard, rooney. no need to play anyone every game.

midfield, we've got carrick, herrera, blind, valencia, timmeh, schweini.... even fellaini no need to play pogba every game.

perhaps the boro team will give you some indication of how it could be done.
don't rolleyes me @#%&!face, just asking a simple question which like every other question on here you seem to know the answer to

Unread 17-03-2017, 10:47 AM
waynes ear's

Absolute %@#$&!s. The forum has never felt so fresh.

Unread 17-03-2017, 11:17 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Absolute %@#$&!s. The forum has never felt so fresh.
Some tired posts tbf. The forum isbit like united in some respects. Certain crucial posters have left and either not been replaced or their replacements aren't up to the task. Other stalwart posters are ageing and well past their best.

Unread 17-03-2017, 11:25 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
Some tired posts tbf. The forum isbit like united in some respects. Certain crucial posters have left and either not been replaced or their replacements aren't up to the task. Other stalwart posters are ageing and well past their best.
That's no excuse. You don't see postmen and lorry drivers not being replaced, nor the replacements not being up to the task. And have you ever seen a junior doctor ageing badly and well past their best? Eh eh?

Unread 17-03-2017, 11:30 AM
jem

Quote:
don't rolleyes me @#%&!face

Unread 17-03-2017, 11:31 AM
dragflick

Quote:
don't rolleyes me @#%&!face, just asking a simple question which like every other question on here you seem to know the answer to
Nailed it/him.

Unread 17-03-2017, 11:34 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Nailed it/him.

Unread 17-03-2017, 11:40 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
I must have missed the world record signing (the young prodigal son who has returned)

Unread 17-03-2017, 11:52 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
I must have missed the world record signing (the young prodigal son who has returned)
we live in hope.

Unread 17-03-2017, 11:54 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Ginners isn't coming back.

Unread 17-03-2017, 11:59 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Ginners isn't coming back.
'Young' flickers - Northers?

Unread 17-03-2017, 01:32 PM
flixton

8 games in Apri and 2 to be rearranged

Unread 17-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
soldiers pal. soldiers.
And nurses, you can't forget nurses.

They're there all day and all night looking after the poorly sick and they're not even nearly as sexy as advertised.

They should get footballer wages.

Unread 17-03-2017, 03:35 PM
Mr Kaboom

There's only De Gea starting sunday who's played more than 30 games this season, and of the rest there's only Rojo who's played a few games consecutively in the last few weeks,

Unread 17-03-2017, 04:41 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Hasn't helped to be playing sides with a natural advantage anyway. We know how much time Southampton had off before the final. Chelsea had a week off while we travelled to Russia. I assume Rostov have had a long winter break?

But this is all still fairly normal. I also usually tend to the old cliche that the worse you play, the more tired you look. Rarely when competing for titles did we look knackered.
Of course a counter argument to that is the admittedly gripping 2006/07 season - both us and Chelski could barely stand up come that FA Cup final

Unread 17-03-2017, 04:55 PM
Sparky***

It's always amused me how people seem to want to compare top level athletes getting fatigued to regular everyday working people being a bit tired after working.

It's hardly the same. It's like watching a boxer going to the 10th round of a boxing match struggling and going "£#%&!ing hell he's only got to fight for 3 mins at a time, i have to work for 8 hours down in the warehouse"...

the pressure and intensity to perform at top level sport is all about tiny margins. It's why they have £#%&!ing sports scientists and drug cheats. The difference between winning a losing is in the details.

United last night got by simply on organisation because physically several of them looked totally spent. You may not like it, you may not wish to acknowledge it but it happens and it's fairly common when you're dealing with athletes at the top of their sport. Paul Pogba got to the final of the Euros in the summer, had minimal time off and then has played a season's worth of games by early March...it's no wonder his £#%&!ing hamstring gave out. In fact, he's looked distinctly below-par for at least a month.

I can totally envisage a scenario where we're going into games in late April having to rest players in the league to concentrate on Europe.
Closed Thread