United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Keep Ten Hag or Sack.
Keep 62 53.91%
Sack 53 46.09%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 25-04-2024, 07:55 AM
magic_cantona

To be expected with no first choice defence for most of the season?

Unread 25-04-2024, 08:10 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona View Post
https://twitter.com/ManUnitedZone_/s...pnDeBwx6Q&s=19

also an undermanned midfield and inverted fullbacks. don't let the problems hide the problems.

Unread 25-04-2024, 08:20 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

37 different back fours and Europe's best centre back injured....

Unread 25-04-2024, 08:34 AM
BigRonManager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b View Post
Not 'better players', players more suited for how he wants his team to play. Tadic left the Premier League as a mediocre winger, and them looked like a world beater in ETH's Ajax team the season after in the Champions League. He can get the best out of players if they are able to play the football he needs them to play.

I agree with other Fredsters that Amrabat has been awful this season, but I agree with you that he's not a bad player. Under a different manager with a different way of playing, he'd probably look like the player he actually is.

Sometimes players suit different managers because of what's needed from them on the pitch. I don't think that's some great secret.

No it's not just his failure, or just down to lack of ability. It's a result from over a decade of club mismanagement.

I don't think you could throw a manager like Pep into any scenario at a club and expect great things to happen because of the type of manager he is. But give him the players he needs to play the football he wants and it works.

I wouldn't say that means he's a bad manager.

I don't think there's any manager we could hire in the world that would be able to get our current team challenging for the top of the table. But I do think that there are managers that could get this team sitting comfortably in 4th place in the table, progressed further in the Champions League, and not have a line-up of players looking they have no idea what they're meant to be doing on the pitch almost every game. And then we could progress from there.
No disrespect, but this entire post reads like the April ‘24 version of Man Utd is something that just happened to ten Hag. We’re 2 years in, this is his team. Off the top of my head, just players he’s brought in - between permanents, loans and promotions, not even counting emergency drafts like Kambwala, we’re up to at least 16 players; fresh faces. There’s only 25 in a squad.

Honestly I’m tired of injuries being presented as some sort of natural phenomena, like he has nothing to do with training, rotation or workload management. How many times last year did he play a full strength team against lower opposition, at home, or in dead rubber European games? Tired of hearing 10 years of bad management - yeah, 2 of them were his! No one forced him to pay four times Antony’s value. No one forced him to chase de Jong for five months when the kid said on day two he’s not interested, then have to panic buy Casemiro. No one forced him to overpay for Mount who had one year left and who everyone in football knew was injury prone. The list goes on.

No, this is two years, his team, and we’re as poor, or worse, than ever.

Unread 25-04-2024, 08:57 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRonManager View Post
No disrespect, but this entire post reads like the April ‘24 version of Man Utd is something that just happened to ten Hag. We’re 2 years in, this is his team. Off the top of my head, just players he’s brought in - between permanents, loans and promotions, not even counting emergency drafts like Kambwala, we’re up to at least 16 players; fresh faces. There’s only 25 in a squad.
I'd agree if he'd come into a club that had the setup it now looks as though we're trying to put in place, but we already know that recruitment at the club has been an absolute crapshoot long before ETH got the job.

We've had loans like Regulon and Amrabat, but with how sparingly they've were/have been used, it's probably a safe assumption to say that they weren't exactly his first choices for reinforcements.

I don't think he should be at the club next season, but I think it'd be disingenuous to say that he looks at the team he has now and thinks "Yes, this is exactly what I wanted to have at my disposal 2 years into the job..."

Unread 25-04-2024, 09:14 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRonManager View Post
We’re 2 years in, this is his team.
I'm not counting the kids because i'm told he's not responsible for their development, 5 out of the 11 last night were his signings.

At the weekend against coventry that number falls to 3.

How exactly is this his team?

Unread 25-04-2024, 09:17 AM
pc6090

Quote:

Not really. Every single player at the club should be coached in the same way so that they can slot into the team seamlessly. Probably not a fair comparison but you look at city and they can make wholesale changes without it affecting how they play

Unread 25-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc6090 View Post
Not really. Every single player at the club should be coached in the same way so that they can slot into the team seamlessly. Probably not a fair comparison but you look at city and they can make wholesale changes without it affecting how they play

Manchester city

Unread 25-04-2024, 09:38 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc6090 View Post

do you think they'd change the way they play if pep had Jonny Evans and Amrabat?

Unread 25-04-2024, 09:38 AM
suedeshoes

This 'chaos ball' is entertaining but seeing Maguire bounding up the wings in the last few games is making me question the tactical approach.

Unread 25-04-2024, 09:42 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes View Post
This 'chaos ball' is entertaining but seeing Maguire bounding up the wings in the last few games is making me question the tactical approach.

Unread 25-04-2024, 10:05 AM
BigRonManager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley View Post
I'm not counting the kids because i'm told he's not responsible for their development, 5 out of the 11 last night were his signings.

At the weekend against coventry that number falls to 3.

How exactly is this his team?
It’s his team because it’s his team. His decisions who to promote, his decisions who to sign, his method of training and education. I just don’t get this desperation to absolve the bloke of everything. I want him to succeed - he’s just not.

He banged on last year about how many games we had to play - in a world cup year - well ok, was it necessary to go full strength at home to Reading? Full strength at home to Charlton? Full strength in dead rubber CL games?
How many of the 8 million injuries we’ve had this year did we not even see in games because they happened in training? We just heard that x,y and z weren’t available. Did he not research how many games Mount missed for Chelsea last year? We bought Hojlund injured ffs then used it as an excuse.

C’mon. We’re two years in and awful. What more needs to be said?

Unread 25-04-2024, 10:09 AM
jem

Quote:
We've had loans like Regulon and Amrabat, but with how sparingly they've were/have been used, it's probably a safe assumption to say that they weren't exactly his first choices for reinforcements.
you think this is an example of him not being an idiot. it isn't. he wanted antony and mount. reguilon and amrabat are players we actually need.

Quote:
do you think they'd change the way they play if pep had Jonny Evans and Amrabat?
if amrabat played for city, you'd be whining about how they managed to turn up this gem.

Unread 25-04-2024, 10:13 AM
Bunker Buster

Gotta respect Jem dying in this amrabat hill...

He's absolutely awful.... Runs like a K-hole.

Unread 25-04-2024, 10:16 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
you think this is an example of him not being an idiot.
No I don't. I think it's an example of the clubs uncoordinated, scattergun approach to recruitment.

Quote:
he wanted antony...
Probably.

Quote:
... and mount.
Did he?

Quote:
if amrabat played for city, you'd be whining about how they managed to turn up this gem.
But he doesn't play for City, because they didn't want him, even though he was available. Possibly because they believed he wouldn't fit the team they want to put out.

Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRonManager
. I just don’t get this desperation to absolve the bloke of everything.
Not sure who you're referring to there but I'm certainly not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRonManager
We’re two years in and awful. What more needs to be said?

It's simply not that black and white. We were very good last year so what's happened between then and now?

He's made a lot of poor decisions for sure, i've said on multiple occasions the way he sets up can be baffling at best. Antony was a shocking signing regardless of how much we paid, but i'm less certain about how much of a role he played in signing the likes of Casemiro and Eriksen who have turned out to be 1 season wonders. ;

As far as I'm concerned he's dealt with the likes of Ronaldo and Sancho well. I think Rashford should have been dropped by now but, on the flip side, it's fairly obvious from the Arnold shit show at the start of the season he presumed he'd have Mason Greenwood to call on, which clearly would have made a difference to the season.

It's all very well saying "i'm sick of people mentioning injuries" but it's been a massive issue. Martinez in particular has been the biggest loss this season, but le crock monsieur has played barely 50% of games, Shaw as usual has been about as reliable as a marzipan tampon and this is what has lead to having 33 billion combinations of a back 4. How can you build any kind of structure or consistency with that?

He's not blameless and far from it but I am willing to give him another season with hopefully more structure above and below, including less slapped arses like Rashford hanging around.

That said I'll also completely understand it if Ineos decide to can him. My only concern then is that I have no clue what manager would fit. Tuchel can £#%&! off.

jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster View Post
Gotta respect Jem dying in this amrabat hill...

He's absolutely awful.... Runs like a K-hole.
you do know he's dutch?

Unread 25-04-2024, 10:18 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
I'd agree if he'd come into a club that had the setup it now looks as though we're trying to put in place, but we already know that recruitment at the club has been an absolute crapshoot long before ETH got the job.

I don't think he should be at the club next season, but I think it'd be disingenuous to say that he looks at the team he has now and thinks "Yes, this is exactly what I wanted to have at my disposal 2 years into the job..."
No manager comes into the perfect club, scenario, surroundings. No-one in world football, (or any job ffs,) has everything they'd want at their disposal. No-one would expect to have everything they need or require or desire after 2 years. You're never gonna have everything - you manage your resources, that's what managers do.

Leaving aside the tactics, man management etc for a second, Ron's right in that we'd have better resources if we hadn't spent so badly. That is a big part of the problem. Obvs we have scouts and negotiation (ha) teams, but still he shares responsibility for wasting so much of that cash. Mount, Onana, Hojlund Antony is not the best use of 250m quid.

Even Fergie wouldn't have said he has everything he wanted. That's no barometer.

Unread 25-04-2024, 10:19 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
you do know he's dutch?
Yes....

It's why his football brain is decent, it's a shame his limbs don't follow....

He was also on drugs in the world cup to catch mbappe going off his last few displays where it looks like he's man handling a fridge...

Unread 25-04-2024, 10:22 AM
RedNick80

Quote:
Not sure who you're referring to there but I'm certainly not.

It's simply not that black and white. We were very good last year so what's happened between then and now?

He's made a lot of poor decisions for sure, i've said on multiple occasions the way he sets up can be baffling at best. Antony was a shocking signing regardless of how much we paid, but i'm less certain about how much of a role he played in signing the likes of Casemiro and Eriksen who have turned out to be 1 season wonders. ;

As far as I'm concerned he's dealt with the likes of Ronaldo and Sancho well. I think Rashford should have been dropped by now but, on the flip side, it's fairly obvious from the Arnold shit show at the start of the season he presumed he'd have Mason Greenwood to call on, which clearly would have made a difference to the season.

It's all very well saying "i'm sick of people mentioning injuries" but it's been a massive issue. Martinez in particular has been the biggest loss this season, but le crock monsieur has played barely 50% of games, Shaw as usual has been about as reliable as a marzipan tampon and this is what has lead to having 33 billion combinations of a back 4. How can you build any kind of structure or consistency with that?

He's not blameless and far from it but I am willing to give him another season with hopefully more structure above and below, including less slapped arses like Rashford hanging around.

That said I'll also completely understand it if Ineos decide to can him. My only concern then is that I have no clue what manager would fit. Tuchel can £#%&! off.
Excellent post. #Marzipan