United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 02-11-2019, 06:35 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
We were better after the changes. I can't get that mad at any manager for not bringing Juan Mata on.

If we're to criticise him for anything, why were his team so lacklustre? Why were they still as bad after a half time team talk?
Mate, I get that Mata is finished as a consistent first teamer, but pretty much the only thing he CAN do these days is make a smart little run or pick a decent pass through traffic. That’s exactly what we needed today, and exactly what Lingard can’t do. If we need energy and movement -some legs- then maybe I couldn’t understand bringing JL on, but we had legs today with no creativity.

Unread 02-11-2019, 06:39 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Mate, I get that Mata is finished as a consistent first teamer, but pretty much the only thing he CAN do these days is make a smart little run or pick a decent pass through traffic. That’s exactly what we needed today, and exactly what Lingard can’t do. If we need energy and movement -some legs- then maybe I couldn’t understand bringing JL on, but we had legs today with no creativity.
I don't disagree, but I think we're focusing on the micro rather than the macro.

There was no issue that 11 starting. It beat Norwich 3-1.

The problem of creativity stemmed from how slowly and passively we did everything. There were plenty of gaps early on against a team clearly low on confidence and a quiet crowd.

We just let the game pass by. To the point where Juan Mata looked a good option.

Unread 02-11-2019, 06:45 PM
utd99

Quote:
I don't disagree, but I think we're focusing on the micro rather than the macro.

There was no issue that 11 starting. It beat Norwich 3-1.

The problem of creativity stemmed from how slowly and passively we did everything. There were plenty of gaps early on against a team clearly low on confidence and a quiet crowd.

We just let the game pass by. To the point where Juan Mata looked a good option.
Because against Norwich the front three were creating for each other; today they weren’t. Ole has done some good things recently, but in-game management by definition is identifying what the team needs now and giving it to them if at all possible. If that means a formation shift or player change, who knows? But he’s supposed to, and today wasn’t good from him.

Look, simply put if you need creativity you don’t bring on Lingard.

Unread 02-11-2019, 06:55 PM
dunk

Mata

Unread 02-11-2019, 07:11 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Because against Norwich the front three were creating for each other; today they weren’t. Ole has done some good things recently, but in-game management by definition is identifying what the team needs now and giving it to them if at all possible. If that means a formation shift or player change, who knows? But he’s supposed to, and today wasn’t good from him.

Look, simply put if you need creativity you don’t bring on Lingard.
Again, I don't disagree with the point overall, but a much bigger issue for me is how we're approaching games and our play.

You talk of 'creativity', but we create most of our chances through the speed of our play. Today we stopped doing that. Individually and collectively. I'm not convinced Juan Mata - a largely ineffective player away from home - would have changed the dynamic of what we were doing.

Ole's in game management was good the other night.

I'm more concerned with why and how sent out a bunch of half-arsed £#%&!ers at kick off and second half

Unread 02-11-2019, 07:57 PM
Ronny

Was Martial on the pitch in the second half?

Unread 02-11-2019, 08:02 PM
utd99

Quote:
Again, I don't disagree with the point overall, but a much bigger issue for me is how we're approaching games and our play.

You talk of 'creativity', but we create most of our chances through the speed of our play. Today we stopped doing that. Individually and collectively. I'm not convinced Juan Mata - a largely ineffective player away from home - would have changed the dynamic of what we were doing.
Possibly not; look, it’s entirely conceivable he’d have come on and done £#%&! all. We know after a defeat it’s always the ones who didn’t play that were the ‘answer’. But we’ve seen enough of these players by now to know who is capable of doing what, and if Mata isn’t even any good for the one thing he’s supposed to be good at, then why the £#%&! is he still even at the club?

Any person who puts jesse Lingard on in the hope he scores or sets one up is a fool. You might be right one time in fifty.

Unread 02-11-2019, 08:11 PM
Whiteside onside

We look clueless what the £#%&! do the coaching staff do? Carrick just sits there like a cardboard cut out. £#%&!ing shambolic

Unread 02-11-2019, 08:13 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteside onside
We look clueless what the £#%&! do the coaching staff do? Carrick just sits there like a cardboard cut out. £#%&!ing shambolic
What do want him to do, run up and down?

Unread 02-11-2019, 08:21 PM
Whiteside onside

Quote:
What do want him to do, run up and down?
Be nice to see us have a game plan and not look totally lost, Watford would give us a game at the moment. Our coaching set upo looks shite.

Unread 02-11-2019, 08:23 PM
ScarFace

Doomed until the Saudi's save us.

Unread 02-11-2019, 08:34 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteside onside
Be nice to see us have a game plan and not look totally lost, Watford would give us a game at the moment. Our coaching set upo looks shite.
Today wasn’t about game plan it was execution. You could give 11 players the greatest game plan since football began, but if they then proceed to misplace passes, ball watch and make awful decisions what good is it?

The conditions could be blamed for part of it, but our basic play today was £#%&!ing awful.

Unread 02-11-2019, 08:36 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
We’re not. I think just two players of the right type would have comfortably won that game for us. As it is we can’t weather an off game from way too few players. If we had a 10 who could play key passes consistently, and a left back who could do anything consistently we’d have won that game 3-1.
That game? Maybe. But we're a million miles away from where we want to be; where we should be.

It all comes down to quality mate. And the simple fact is you cannot rip the guts out of the squad, sell a 20 goal a season striker and then expect a bunch of kids and various misfits to step up and deliver consistent, positive results.

That's just not how it works.

This lot aren't good players turning in below par performances. This IS their par. This is their level. We have as mediocre and as average a squad as i can remember in my 30+ years of following this team. Unless we do something utterly miraculous in January, then you can expect this to pretty much be the theme of the season: A couple of semi-decent performances followed up by several abysmal ones. Rinse and repeat until May. That's what average teams do, they're aren't shit enough to get relegated but they aren't anywhere near good enough to go on a run of wins.

That's where Manchester United is currently at, and it is entirely 100% self inflicted. We have to write seasons off now while we rebuild. Manchester United have to write £#%&!ing seasons off. Just think about that. The richest most profitable football club that has ever existed and we have to rebuild the squad at a snail's pace because our budget doesn't allow for quick fixes.

Unread 02-11-2019, 08:43 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
That game? Maybe. But we're a million miles away from where we want to be; where we should be.

It all comes down to quality mate. And the simple fact is you cannot rip the guts out of the squad, sell a 20 goal a season striker and then expect a bunch of kids and various misfits to step up and deliver consistent, positive results.

That's just not how it works.

This lot aren't good players turning in below par performances. This IS their par. This is their level. We have as mediocre and as average a squad as i can remember in my 30+ years of following this team. Unless we do something utterly miraculous in January, then you can expect this to pretty much be the theme of the season: A couple of semi-decent performances followed up by several abysmal ones. Rinse and repeat until May. That's what average teams do, they're aren't shit enough to get relegated but they aren't anywhere near good enough to go on a run of wins.

That's where Manchester United is currently at, and it is entirely 100% self inflicted. We have to write seasons off now while we rebuild. Manchester United have to write £#%&!ing seasons off. Just think about that. The richest most profitable football club that has ever existed and we have to rebuild the squad at a snail's pace because our budget doesn't allow for quick fixes.
Ok, but surely the bit in bold is reason, in and of itself, to warrant a bit of patience. It’s only been a few weeks since the Newcastle match, and we’ve seen glimpses of an improvement. Not enough for sure, but indicators that enough players have shown improvements that as few as 3 key players in the right areas could transform us utterly. The way we backed off of the Dybala deal gives me hope that we’ll be patient enough to make sure they’re the right ones.

There are still too many players Ole is being forced to use who simply aren’t up to it. Let’s give him time to replace those, then judge.

Unread 02-11-2019, 09:00 PM
Stone Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
Doomed until the Saudi's save us.

Unread 02-11-2019, 09:16 PM
waynes ear's

Unread 02-11-2019, 10:00 PM
Whiteside onside

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Spot on