United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:16 PM
AK14

0-2 down at HT...

You know the rest

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:20 PM
Tronics

What does Scott The Scottish Player do in training during the week to justify him starting ahead of Van de Beek?

No way is he a better football player than him, no way. Maybe Ole thinks he'll just sit in front of the defenders and act as an extra-centre back?

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:21 PM
Dr Stranger

Shame no Donny, but hopefully part of things more often now. Pleased to see Cavani start.

Think this’ll be tougher than over there. Draw.

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:22 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronics
What does Scott The Scottish Player do in training during the week to justify him starting ahead of Van de Beek?

No way is he a better football player than him, no way. Maybe Ole thinks he'll just sit in front of the defenders and act as an extra-centre back?
You spelt Pogba wrong.

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:23 PM
Tronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
You spelt Pogba wrong.
why do you guys constantly mention the guy even when he's not playing?

just enjoy the players we have on the pitch at the moment mate.

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:25 PM
20LEgend1999

Quote:

I'd imagine it's what he's done the last two times we've played them that has justified it. Given we've got Martial, Rashford, Cavani and Bruno on the pitch, it was always likely he'd opt for something more cautious behind them.

Bare in mind that when we beat them the other month, The Scottish Player was playing with only one eye for the first half

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:25 PM
believe

Quote:
why do you guys constantly mention the guy even when he's not playing?

just enjoy the players we have on the pitch at the moment mate.
You just slagged a player off who’s on the pitch about two minute ago,

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:28 PM
Ethers

Quote:

He’s absolutely brain dead

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:29 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
Given we've got Martial, Rashford, Cavani and Bruno on the pitch, it was always likely he'd opt for something more cautious behind them.
it would be fair to say that one of those four is playing ahead of the don, not mctog. one of them is probably playing ahead of matic, too. hope we don't get overrun in midfield while three of those four stand watching.

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:30 PM
armchair

Quote:

He's not a better player but he's a more defensive player.

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:34 PM
BarryX

Decent amount of quality on the bench for Utd too. Should be some goals in this one, just hope we're in with a shout later on

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:35 PM
Tronics

Quote:
What does that have to do with me questioning why Ole would choose The Scottish Player over VDB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I get that logic but I'm not sure he is a better defender than VDB, if anything he's probably more physical, which might help when we're defending set pieces.

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:39 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Watching Donny’s reading of the game in the defensive third recently, I don’t even think The Scottish Player is better defensively.

We need to start trusting Donny more and recognise that he has a composure and economy on the ball that nobody else does. He’s good enough defensively too. He’s not some luxury.

Neither Fred or The Scottish Player are picked because they’re especially defensive or attacking, they just have attributes that compliment other better players. I think we need to start recognising donnys attributes more.

Hope he’s back in on Saturday.

Ole still feeling around for his best side. We seemed to have got further away from that. Six months ago you’d say

Matic
Fernandes
Pogba

Rashford
Martial
Greenwood

Was a six that picked itself or was at least our strongest 11 on paper. Now, I’ve not idea what it is.

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:39 PM
AK14

Quote:
What does that have to do with me questioning why Ole would choose The Scottish Player over VDB?

I get that logic but I'm not sure he is a better defender than VDB, if anything he's probably more physical, which might help when we're defending set pieces.
He’s a workhorse and although Ive not see the PSG team they did pack the midfield with workhorse types in the first game so Ole might be trying to counter it?

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:40 PM
Patty_b

Quote:

VDB is class, but The Scottish Player is much better defensively. So much so that he tends to play in defence for his country.

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:43 PM
Tronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

VDB is class, but The Scottish Player is much better defensively. So much so that he tends to play in defence for his country.
I get that, but i don't know I'd love to see the stats of their "ball recoveries" or whatever. I would bet their numbers are a lot closer than you think.

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:44 PM
armchair

I didn't say he was a better defender I said he was a more defensive player.

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:46 PM
puressence

3-4

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:47 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Ole still feeling around for his best side. We seemed to have got further away from that. Six months ago you’d say

Matic
Fernandes
Pogba

Rashford
Martial
Greenwood
six months ago, I'd have said:

mctog - matic - fred

fernandes

rashford - martial

and I'd probably say that now, too. could make a case for dvb over fred. pogba? behave.

Unread 02-12-2020, 08:47 PM
M33mike

Van de Beek’s ankle was a £#%&!ing mess after the game on Saturday, probably something to do with that