United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-10-2008, 08:49 AM
antonin jablonsky

Default Team v Celtic - The Official Thread

I think Celtic will likely come and play one up, five across the middle and try and kick us off the park and we'll have to match this. This makes it a difficult selection in a way, particularly with Fergie oddly suggesting he might rest Ronnie. I think we might need 3 in midfield and could see Giggs or more likely park in there in order to match up with Celtic. Anyway I might go with this :-

VDS
Wes
Rio
Vidic
O' Dear
Fletcher
Anderson
Giggs
Ronnie/Tevez
Rooney
Berbatov

Unread 21-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I think Celtic will likely come and play one up, five across the middle and try and kick us off the park and we'll have to match this. This makes it a difficult selection in a way, particularly with Fergie oddly suggesting he might rest Ronnie. I think we might need 3 in midfield and could see Giggs or more likely park in there in order to match up with Celtic. Anyway I might go with this :-

VDS
Wes
Rio
Vidic
O' Dear
Fletcher
Anderson
Giggs
Ronnie/Tevez
Rooney
Berbatov
Stick Nani in there and you'll probably be right... Think we'll just go 4-4-2 with Rooney dropping off.

Unread 21-10-2008, 08:55 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

I dont think Giggs or Ronaldo will play, Fergie was on about resting Ronaldo yesterday due to him not recovering very well last week for Portugal.

VDS
Neville
Rio
Vida
O'Shea

Park
Fletcher
Anderson
Nani

Tevez
Rooney

Is OH in the squad for tonight or is that a stupid question?

antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Stick Nani in there and you'll probably be right... Think we'll just go 4-4-2 with Rooney dropping off.
Maybe, not sure I want Nani in this game after his performance/pantomime in Denmark. Still he did fairly well when he came on on Satde.

Fuzzy Dunlop

I think Fergus wants to play Tevez Rooney and Berbs together.
Ergo...
VDS
Neville
Rio
Vidic
O'Shucks
Anderson Fletcher Giggs
Tevez Rooney
Berbs

1-0 Celtic.

Unread 21-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Rossi the Red

VDS

Brown - Rio - Vidic - O'Pie

Nani - Fletcher - Anderson

Rooney - Berba - Tevez

Unread 21-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Man Utd v Celtic

Uefa Champions League, Group E
Venue: Old Trafford Date: Tuesday, 21 October Kick-off: 1945 BST
Coverage: Full commentary on BBC Radio 5 Live and BBC Radio Scotland MW </B>

Ronaldo returned from the injury last month

Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo may be rested for Tuesday's Champions League tie against Celtic as he is still recovering from ankle surgery.
Patrice Evra (hamstring) is definitely out so John O'Shea is set to come in.
Midfielder Marc Crosas did not travel with Celtic's squad after suffering an injury in Saturday's win at Inverness, but Andreas Hinkel has made the trip.
Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, Georgios Samaras and Chris Killen are out, but Gary Caldwell is expected to play.
United, meanwhile, can welcome Carlos Tevez and Anderson back from international duty, although Michael Carrick and Owen Hargreaves are still missing. And manager Sir Alex Ferguson is keen to give Ronaldo time to fully recover from the summer surgery on his ankle.

After a conversation with former United assistant and current Portugal boss Carlos Queiroz, Ferguson is tempted to bring in Nani instead.
"Carlos feels Cristiano is still finding it hard to recover from a Saturday game to a Wednesday," said Ferguson.
"I need to look at this game - and the fact it is on a Tuesday - and assess whether to bring in Nani."
Evra tweaked a hamstring during Saturday's win over West Brom.
He did some light jogging at United's Carrington training ground on Monday morning, but Ferguson decided not to take a chance on his fitness. Celtic's Caldwell, who did not join in with full training on Monday, was substituted during the 2-1 win over Inverness Caledonian Thistle on Saturday, but Celtic manager Gordon Strachan says the Scotland defender is determined to play, despite having stitches in his foot following the match.

Ferguson expects Celtic to 'have a go'

"He has a determined streak through him - he really shouldn't have gone back on at half-time on Saturday," said Strachan.
"But knowing Gary, he wanted to win the game at Inverness and wanted to make sure he's still playing.
"On the team bus going back on Saturday night I tried to pick a team that told him he was still in my thoughts.
"I know Gary, and if he can be there, he'll be there."
It is up front where Celtic have most problems, with Samaras requiring a cartilage operation after being injured on international duty with Greece and having missed the trip to the Highlands.
With Netherlands striker Vennegoor of Hesselink and New Zealander Killen already sidelined, it leaves Scott McDonald as the only fit out-and-out first-team striker available to Strachan.
Manchester United (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Brown, Neville, Rafael, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, O'Shea, Ronaldo, Nani, Fletcher, Anderson, Giggs, Gibson, Park, Tevez, Berbatov, Rooney, Manucho. Celtic (from): Boruc, Caldwell, Wilson, McM@&%!, Loovens, Naylor, McGeady, S Brown, Hinkel, Hartley, Robson, McDonald, Sheridan, Maloney, M Brown, McCourt, Hutchinson, Nakamura, O'Dea.

So Fergie is still using Carlos Q for advice ?

Unread 21-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Mr_Ed

No he's just asking him if he thinks Ronaldo is fit you plank... !

antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Apparantly he is in "torment" over it.

Rossi the Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizza Jazza
So Fergie is still using Carlos Q for advice ?
I'm sure he gets the lowdown on all his international players from their managers.

Unread 21-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Rossi the Red

Quote:
I'd love it to be honest...

Unread 21-10-2008, 09:07 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi the Red
I'd love it to be honest...
It'd certainly be interesting.

Unread 21-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
It'd certainly be interesting.
I'd just like to see Tevez starting.

Unread 21-10-2008, 09:12 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
I'd just like to see Tevez starting.
Yeah me too. Play him and Berbie up with Rooney off , it'd cause Celtic all sorts of problems, particularly with their comically slow and cumbersome centrebacks.

Unread 21-10-2008, 09:20 AM
hopkins

It'll be Neville at right-back, as I reckon Fergie sees Brown as a centre back, now that Nev and Rafael are in the squad

Unread 21-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Ginners

"After a conversation with former United assistant and current Portugal boss Carlos Queiroz, Ferguson is tempted to bring in Nani instead. "

no wonder carlos is doing shit at portugal he's still running utd

Unread 21-10-2008, 09:40 AM
keano's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy dunlop
i think fergus wants to play tevez rooney and berbs together.
Ergo...
Vds
neville
rio
vidic
o'shucks
anderson fletcher giggs
tevez rooney
berbs

1-0 celtic.
ffs

Unread 21-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Part 36 Offer

VDS

Brown
Rio
Vida
Johnno

Nani
Ando
Fletcher

Tevez
Rooney
Berba

That will be the team imo given that Fergie has given strong hints that both Tevez and Nani will start.

Btw the abuse of Johnno on this thread is again disappointing. Instigated by the likes of Jablinskis and Rossi the Red. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Unread 21-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Baron

VDS

Wes
Rio
Vidic
O'Pie

Fletcher
Anderson
Giggs

Tevez
Berbs
Rooney

4-0 United, Rooney hat-trick.

Unread 21-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Time For Heroes

4-0 guaranteed, Celtic will concede early, heads will go down, they've no forwards, job's a good-un!
Closed Thread