United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-11-2016, 07:36 AM
Fergie out 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
Course it does. That article proves that intelligent people just see the poppy brigade's bleating as utter xenophobic bullshit

Odds on most of the brigade voted for brexit (c***s)

Unread 02-11-2016, 08:05 AM
Old member

That article assumes that footballers otherwise wouldn't want to wear a poppy. How can it know that? Would 99% of footballers wear a poppy on their shirt if they were allowed to pin one on? Probably. Somehow, because it only started in 2010 it means less? What a pointless comment.

There is individualism within football when it comes to respecting the fallen and there is a very good reason why they should keep doing it. It raises money. Relatively small amounts given the coin in the game but still.

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/comm...-poppy-appeal/

Unread 02-11-2016, 08:21 AM
Knockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old member
That article assumes that footballers otherwise wouldn't want to wear a poppy. How can it know that? Would 99% of footballers wear a poppy on their shirt if they were allowed to pin one on? Probably. Somehow, because it only started in 2010 it means less? What a pointless comment.

There is individualism within football when it comes to respecting the fallen and there is a very good reason why they should keep doing it. It raises money. Relatively small amounts given the coin in the game but still.

It's not about 'respecting the fallen' any more though. It used to be no big deal; you'd do some of the war poets in school and there'd be something boring on tv on the Sunday morning and then get on with your life. Now it's thick people fulminating for two months if you don't £#%&! a poppy with tears in your eyes.

Unread 02-11-2016, 08:34 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:

maybe because its taken 100s of years ( all the way to 2010) for footballers to wear one. Whilst youre correct in assuming some would. You could also be correct in thinking 80% dont give a damn

Unread 02-11-2016, 08:42 AM
Fergie out 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
It's not about 'respecting the fallen' any more though. It used to be no big deal; you'd do some of the war poets in school and there'd be something boring on tv on the Sunday morning and then get on with your life. Now it's thick people fulminating for two months if you don't £#%&! a poppy with tears in your eyes.
Spot on. What makes me laugh about this is that you get some £#%&!ing scrote bleat on about the poppy and forget its meaning that it was originally used to represent the world wars. Now you get the usual "arrrr darrroon died In Iraq, he didn't want to go innit" He shouldn't have £#%&!ing signed up in the first place then you stupid @#%&!.

People have the choice these days to sign up. During WW1 and WW2 conscription was rife and they didn't have the choice.

Unread 02-11-2016, 09:14 AM
Child of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
When I was a lad it was "if you hate it here so much, why not move to Russia"

(wouldn't have minded, personally speaking - my chess would almost certainly have improved)
Having spent some time in the actual Soviet Union, I can tell you it was £#%&!ing shit .

Unread 02-11-2016, 09:18 AM
Old member

Even back in the day when you could smoke a pipe in goal I'm sure they would have realised that pinning a poppy to your shirt would be a spiking hazard? It's an appeal to the public to raise money for servicemen. Like any other organisation, it evolves over time. So what if in 2010 they decided that a poppy on the shirt was a good idea to help raise money? You can opt out.

Surely no correlation can be made between the vast majority of people who genuinely believe that helping soldiers and their families is a honest and human thing to do with the '99% of you won't share this poppy' Britain first types on social media?

What baffles me is why it can bother anyone. It's a charity not a religious or political movement and anything that piggy backs it to those ends should be assessed independently of the appeal.

Unread 02-11-2016, 09:28 AM
Pop

"The fallen"

Why don't people just say dead ffs.

Unread 02-11-2016, 09:37 AM
Sizlack

Flatley my dear i don't riverdance

Unread 02-11-2016, 11:58 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie out 89
Spot on. What makes me laugh about this is that you get some £#%&!ing scrote bleat on about the poppy and forget its meaning that it was originally used to represent the world wars. Now you get the usual "arrrr darrroon died In Iraq, he didn't want to go innit" He shouldn't have £#%&!ing signed up in the first place then you stupid @#%&!.

People have the choice these days to sign up. During WW1 and WW2 conscription was rife and they didn't have the choice.
This articulates exactly how I feel about the whole thing so I've quoted it.

Unread 02-11-2016, 12:08 PM
Fergie out 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
This articulates exactly how I feel about the whole thing so I've quoted it.
Feel free.

Unread 02-11-2016, 12:51 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack
Flatley my dear i don't riverdance
That's fantastic :-)

Unread 02-11-2016, 12:52 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
it was even funnier when alan partridge said it a while back

Unread 02-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun

I never claimed it was mine. I could converse only in Alan scripts and song lyrics quite easily

Unread 02-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack
I never claimed it was mine. I could converse only in Alan scripts and song lyrics quite easily

You can still have good rep for bringing it to my attention (or as this thread has a vague military feel, atten----SHUN!

Unread 02-11-2016, 01:32 PM
Pop

Over here we call potatoes 'poppies'.

Don't know why tbh. We were always asked as kids, do you want some poppies with your dinner?

I do tbs, tbs. Look grand them poppies so they do. They'll be nice with a bit of mate and a cup of tay.

Tbs, tbs.

Unread 02-11-2016, 01:57 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
The prime minister has hit out at the "utterly outrageous" decision of Fifa to ban English and Scottish footballers wearing poppies in their forthcoming fixture.

She told the Commons a "clear message is going out from this House - we want our players to be able to wear those poppies".

Responding to a question from Labour MP Steve McCabe she said of Fifa: "Before they start telling us what to do they should jolly well sort their own house out."

Unread 02-11-2016, 02:01 PM
Big Norm

Quote:
Even back in the day when you could smoke a pipe in goal I'm sure they would have realised that pinning a poppy to your shirt would be a spiking hazard? It's an appeal to the public to raise money for servicemen. Like any other organisation, it evolves over time. So what if in 2010 they decided that a poppy on the shirt was a good idea to help raise money? You can opt out.

Surely no correlation can be made between the vast majority of people who genuinely believe that helping soldiers and their families is a honest and human thing to do with the '99% of you won't share this poppy' Britain first types on social media?

What baffles me is why it can bother anyone. It's a charity not a religious or political movement and anything that piggy backs it to those ends should be assessed independently of the appeal.
And face a tirade of abuse for doing so, the main point of the article.

Someone wearing a poppy does not bother those who don't one little bit. If only that could be said about the reverse.

Also I can personally think of a number of charities which deserve exposure much more than this one.

Unread 02-11-2016, 02:04 PM
Mr_Ed

Does the poppy now cover all fallen soldiers of all nationalities or just British / empire?

How would Bastian feel about wearing a poppy for somebody who could've bayoneted his great grandfather in the face?

On a non international week obvs

Unread 02-11-2016, 02:11 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Does the poppy now cover all fallen soldiers of all nationalities or just British / empire?

How would Bastian feel about wearing a poppy for somebody who could've bayoneted his great grandfather in the face?

On a non international week obvs
or supplied the drink that led to him falling to his death ?
Closed Thread