United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-04-2017, 09:04 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Thank God the dark days of United reduced to battling for 4th place are long gone.
It was less than 11 months ago, pal.

It's going to take longer than that to turn this ship around. Step by step.

Unread 25-04-2017, 09:05 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
It was less than 11 months ago, pal.

It's going to take longer than that to turn this ship around. Step by step.
The irony

Unread 25-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
The irony
if we're still here having this conversation in another 12 months after having shelled out the best part of £250m...then....well...

Unread 25-04-2017, 09:24 PM
saffers

Quote:
if we're still here having this conversation in another 12 months after having shelled out the best part of £250m...then....well...
We are gonna end up on 74/75 ish pts, maybe a bit more if we really do well.

That gets 2nd place last season.

LvG was a disgrace.

Unread 25-04-2017, 09:25 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Fair enough. It was just the step by step bit that made me laugh.

Start of last December we were top of the league. 18 months after finishing 7th. Three weeks later heads totally went.

We are never going to be a step by step club.

Unread 25-04-2017, 09:30 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

Last November we were top of he league. 18 months after finishing 7th. A month later heads totally went.

You keep clinging to that as if it means something. We'd played about 10 games ffs. From that point in November until February we won 2 games. Two.

It's like leading a marathon after one mile...nobody £#%&!ing cares. It doesn't matter.

Unread 25-04-2017, 09:31 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Good thing as far as I'm concerned is that no one on here appears to be defending Jose like some kind of Alastair Campbell on pcp. He's £#%&!ed up a fair few times and it appears to be mostly fairly acknowledged. I think.

Truly enlightening times.

Unread 25-04-2017, 09:35 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Err errrrrr

Great Expectations. Van gaal for me was by far the most disappointing manager we've had in all the time I've been watching united. Honestly expected greatness and when that didn't look like it was going to materialise, tangible progress at least. We went backwards and that second year included some of the worst football I've ever experienced in terms of enjoyment levels. I actually much preferred watching us when we were shit in the 80's - at least something happened. There were matches last season in which nothing happened at all.

Aston Villa at home towards the end of last season was the nadir for me. Felt like not only asking for my money back but insisting that they paid me to be there.

I expected nothing from Moyes and I wasn't wrong. Much more euphoric when Moyes got booted (Liverpool £#%&!ing up etc at the same time) but I was chuffed to bits when van gaal got chinned.

I think quite a bit of my hatred towards him was fed by being told on here that he and the football were brilliant all the time. One thing I've had to remind myself is that a lot of people on here are fixated to the point of being mental. The internet hides mental illness quite well and real life doesn't.

Questionable place this

There are certainly a few.

Quote:

Start of last December we were top of the league. 18 months after finishing 7th. Three weeks later heads totally went.

Oh hi Siders..

Unread 25-04-2017, 09:36 PM
saffers

Quote:
You keep clinging to that as if it means something. We'd played about 10 games ffs. From that point in November until February we won 2 games. Two.

It's like leading a marathon after one mile...nobody £#%&!ing cares. It doesn't matter.
The warning signs were there from August-November. But we seriously overperformed results wise. The collapse was only in terms of results, not performances. Only ardent lvg fans were shocked by our downturn.

Unread 25-04-2017, 09:37 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
The warning signs were there from August-November. But we seriously overperformed results wise. The collapse was only in terms of results, not performances. Only ardent lvg fans were shocked by our downturn.
Well and also 15 first teamers on the £#%&!ing sick list

It was a £#%&!-up but we're over it. We move on. I hope.

Unread 25-04-2017, 09:38 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Not really the point. Top of the league and three weeks later the manager has got to go. I'm just saying don't bother with the step by step thinking. Tides turn in football with increasing fickleness. United will be no different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Well and also 15 first teamers on the £#%&!ing sick list
Indeed. First third of the season and last third of the season United's points tally was the 2nd best in the league.

Injuries ruined our league campaign. I thought top 3 was minimum this season tbh.

Unread 25-04-2017, 10:04 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

It's something Liverpool fans like to dwell on most seasons

Unread 25-04-2017, 10:24 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
It's something Liverpool fans like to dwell on most seasons
Unlike talking about significant progress while being in the same position as last year

Unread 25-04-2017, 10:27 PM
Tumescent Throb

i went down for a quick piss and a coffee during one of the games under LVG, got a phone call and forgot to go back up

missed about 20 minutes. actually missed £#%&! all, obviously.

but as shit as it was sometimes, it was also exciting sometimes and promising a lot of other times. also there was a 0-0 at home to wham i remember where we had about 20 shots, so not exactly much different to this season's united.

same thing with some of the moyes games: everyone lost the £#%&!ing plot when we lost 2 on the trot at home 1-0, people completely ignoring that we were mugged off in both by bad luck and bent refs - and the fact we had enough chances to win both games twice - because they hated moyes.

at least with jose you know that he's in your corner, speaks your language, will dishy out a round of £#%&!s to whoever he £#%&!ing feels like ... and it's reflected on the pitch, and in performances as well

Quote:
Unlike talking about significant progress while being in the same position as last year
i know you know that doesn't make sense so don't get why you keep typing it

united have made very obvious progress from where we were this time last season. we haven't lost in the league for about 6 months or something for starters.

Unread 25-04-2017, 10:53 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
i know you know that doesn't make sense so don't get why you keep typing it

united have made very obvious progress from where we were this time last season. we haven't lost in the league for about 6 months or something for starters.
It makes perfect sense.

If the Scousers finished in the same place as the previous season but insisted things were much better, we'd all laugh. Fact.

Unread 25-04-2017, 11:12 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
It makes perfect sense.

If the Scousers finished in the same place as the previous season but insisted things were much better, we'd all laugh. Fact.
the scousers haven't won the league since 1990.

newcastle finished 18th in the PL last season

this season they will probably finish 2nd in division 2.

have they progressed?

Unread 25-04-2017, 11:18 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
the scousers haven't won the league since 1990.

newcastle finished 18th in the PL last season

this season they will probably finish 2nd in division 2.

have they progressed?
The £#%&! type of comparison is that?

Anyway I didn't say there hasn't been minor progress. But honestly I expect that whoever was in charge.

Of course we could still finish 3rd, which would be reasonable.

Unread 26-04-2017, 03:39 AM
Denis Irwell

The season hasn't finished yet

Guaranteed to finish at least on a par with last season with a good chance of significantly better. + not as painful to watch.

Unread 26-04-2017, 05:13 AM
shenwen

Only an idiot would say that we have not improved or that Mourinho is not a good manager who is progressing this squad and the club.

Thankfully, not too many idiots on here.

Unread 26-04-2017, 06:36 AM
itisme_panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
The season hasn't finished yet

Guaranteed to finish at least on a par with last season with a good chance of significantly better. + not as painful to watch.
*not a guarantee
Closed Thread